There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(08-01-2024, 12:06 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-01-2024, 12:03 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Age is taking a toll in them, dominant males generally don't lose clashes to 3 subadults.

They are not exactly subadults, they should be around 4 yrs of age (idk their exact birth dates, but they are born in 2020 thru multiple litters).

Some of those guys looked big as Avoca young male, who is pretty much fully grown and not a small male himself.

New update: Ross males retaked the kill

Ross chased them out? Source?

I'm seeing a video here that shows Ross in perfect condition, you can't even tell they are not in their prime from the video, still, dominant males usually don't have trouble with 4yo nomads, not long ago the Ross were stalemating Young Avoca and Guernsey males who were challenging for territory.

Despite how good they're looking, age must have taken a toll in their confidence.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

There are 4 Monawna young males in total and they were born februach-march 2021.
3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

5 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-01-2024, 05:02 PM)Potato Wrote: There are 4 Monawna young males in total and they were born februach-march 2021.

3.5 yrs old, younger then expected.

Yea, I dont think they are threat yet for territory, but next year they might be.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Only 4? I swear I saw 5 in the video with the avoca young male
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(08-01-2024, 05:02 PM)Potato Wrote: There are 4 Monawna young males in total and they were born februach-march 2021.

oh, theres more than 4. there were 7 males at one time but I think 6 made it to sub adulthood. let me find a pic i have at hte pride at a waterhole and you cna count 6 easily.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-01-2024, 07:44 PM by criollo2mil )

(08-01-2024, 07:00 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

oh, theres more than 4.    there were 7 males at one time but I think 6 made it to sub adulthood.    let me find a pic i have at the pride at a waterhole and you can count 6 easily.

heres a photo of members of the Monwana w Dad Mapoza.   I can count 6 males....could maybe find 7?  not sure but please take a look for yourselves.  

i apologize i don't have exact date and credit.

EDIT: i share this image with a heavy heart.   Mapoza has not been seen in a few weeks.  last known sighting was 29 June (the sighting hes expelling Avoca YM at the kill) .    guides in the area have been pessimistic regarding Mapoza's status...they're guarded in saying he may not be seen again.

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-01-2024, 07:08 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: heres a photo of members of the Monwana w Dad Mapoza.   I can count 6 males....could maybe find 7?  not sure but please take a look for yourselves.  

Yea, on that sighting with Avoca young male, I also counted atleast 5-6 males, but some have barely mane and are prob younger then those 3-4 older ones.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-01-2024, 07:57 PM by Potato )

(08-01-2024, 07:08 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: heres a photo of members of the Monwana w Dad Mapoza.   I can count 6 males....could maybe find 7?  not sure but please take a look for yourselves.  
(08-01-2024, 07:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yea, on that sighting with Avoca young male, I also counted atleast 5-6 males, but some have barely mane and are prob younger then those 3-4 older ones.
Because there is also 1 year younger litter (from march 2022), sired by Mapoza alone, I don't know sexes of. There are through 4 big boys in total, that is counting males from february-march 2021 alone.

I am guessing now (as I do not ID them) that the 2 boys on the right side of the photo you posted might be 2022 litter as they look quite a bit smaller than the other 3 males on this photo.
4 users Like Potato's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

So no sighting of Mapoza in over a month if his last was the end of June!  Does not look promising
4 users Like Cath2020's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

There they were again, roaring the whole night, we knew what was waiting for us on game drive. We left the lodge with the last vocalisation of the males on the background. When we found them they were still moving north deep into the territory of the Monwana pride. The Black Dam males moved directly into the direction of where the Monwana's were seen the night before, but weren't able to get to their location. The Monwana pride moved away into the Timbavati, probably because of the roars of the Black Dam males.

The shift in lion dynamics in Thornybush Nature Reserve is becoming more clear and I am curious to see what the Monwana pride females and sub-adult males will do with another encounter. Will the Monwana pride return or will they stay for north?

5 users Like Potato's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

So indeed this was the second time the Ross are chased by subadults, which is weird, but at least they retaliated this time.

I'm still impressed by how impressive they look at their age.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-01-2024, 05:05 PM)Potato Wrote:

Ross males are still beasts despite their old age - What a duo!
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-01-2024, 08:00 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: So no sighting of Mapoza in over a month if his last was the end of June!  Does not look promising

Very agree with you, that sounds quite worrying. Hopefully he is still with the Monwana somewhere in Thornybush.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-03-2024, 03:10 PM by criollo2mil )

Three of The Monwana YMs (Mapoza Sons)  have made their way onto the Manyeleti and seen 400 meters from the Mbiri Pride whom were with The Orpen Son and a few members.  

These boys look in fantastic shape.  

Credit:  Vestment

7 users Like criollo2mil's post