There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(09-03-2024, 02:00 AM)KM600 Wrote: Don’t make much of the Mapoza part yet, not until there’s photo / video evidence.

is the 6th alive?
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(09-02-2024, 07:16 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(09-02-2024, 04:52 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(09-02-2024, 04:46 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Giraffe male and Monwana breakaways after killing a hyena that was close to the cubs. Apparently they've named the Monwana breakaways the 'Makeppies Pride' and the Giraffe male is potentially known as the 'Makeppies Male' now. 

Sad for the hyena but good for the cubs that they have such an attentive dad! He’s a young guy too. His breakaway lionesses are all Mapoza daughters?

I believe the pride is made up of all younger lionesses which would make them his offspring

So giraffe male is a pride male and father to his daughters? The adult lionesses are giraffe males’ daughters? He must have been really young to sire the lionesses.

Mwk85 Offline

(09-04-2024, 12:53 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(09-02-2024, 07:16 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(09-02-2024, 04:52 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(09-02-2024, 04:46 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Giraffe male and Monwana breakaways after killing a hyena that was close to the cubs. Apparently they've named the Monwana breakaways the 'Makeppies Pride' and the Giraffe male is potentially known as the 'Makeppies Male' now. 

Sad for the hyena but good for the cubs that they have such an attentive dad! He’s a young guy too. His breakaway lionesses are all Mapoza daughters?

I believe the pride is made up of all younger lionesses which would make them his offspring

So giraffe male is a pride male and father to his daughters? The adult lionesses are giraffe males’ daughters? He must have been really young to sire the lionesses.

The Giraffe male is the pride male for the Monwana breakaways, the breakaway lionesses themselves should all be daughters of the Mapoza male. The breakaways (Mapozas' daughters) have cubs of their own now sired by the Giraffe male.
1 user Likes Mwk85's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-04-2024, 12:53 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: So giraffe male is a pride male and father to his daughters? The adult lionesses are giraffe males’ daughters? He must have been really young to sire the lionesses.

This is young Giraffe male, son of BDM, he is born in 2017.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Broken Tooth young male, 1 of sons of Maseke males, seen in Masungulo males territory few weeks ago:

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2024, 09:57 AM by KM600 )

One of the Birmingham males on a kill stolen from the River Pride a few days ago. Couldn’t help but notice how this male looks very similar to Chelas boy, who herself was sired by the Matimbas and most ppl believe the Matimbas come from Birmingham Pride themselves. Just a thought anyways.

8 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2024, 09:12 PM by Mapokser )

Matimbas are proved to be born in the Birmingham pride, sired by the 3 Old Skybed males.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-08-2024, 07:54 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Matimbas are proved to be born from the Birmingham pride, sired by the 3 Old Skybed males.

Yes, I was coming to say that I, too, believed it had been accepted they came from the Birmingham Pride. That pride may well hold the highest historical significance, in all of central, eastern, and South Africa, of any we are aware of.
3 users Like BA0701's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(09-08-2024, 08:22 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-08-2024, 07:54 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Matimbas are proved to be born from the Birmingham pride, sired by the 3 Old Skybed males.

Yes, I was coming to say that I, too, believed it had been accepted they came from the Birmingham Pride. That pride may well hold the highest historical significance, in all of central, eastern, and South Africa, of any we are aware of.

The Birmingham pride is definitely a legendary pride in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Marsh Pride in Masai Mara also comes to mind as one of Africa's most historically renowned prides.
4 users Like Rabubi's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2/5 Birmingham Breakaway males:

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(09-09-2024, 04:20 PM)Rabubi Wrote:

The Birmingham pride is definitely a legendary pride in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Marsh Pride in Masai Mara also comes to mind as one of Africa's most historically renowned prides.

Agreed, my friend, they have both equally impacted their regions tremendously. One cannot imagine the Mara lions without thinking about the mighty Marsh Pride.
5 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-09-2024, 06:18 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 2/5 Birmingham Breakaway males:

Boys are looking extremely well and healthy.
5 users Like T I N O's post

Mwk85 Offline

Read that three of the Northern Black Dam males were seen with at least three Monwana Pride lionesses. Whereabouts of the rest of the pride was unknown if my understanding is correct. Guess we'll either see a full pride takeover eventually or perhaps another split with the three that were seen with them. Still haven't seen anything in regards to Mapoza, unfortunately.
5 users Like Mwk85's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(09-09-2024, 06:24 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Agreed, my friend, they have both equally impacted their regions tremendously. One cannot imagine the Mara lions without thinking about the mighty Marsh Pride.

You know you're famous when you're featured in a David Attenborough documentary.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

Super Moderator

(09-12-2024, 03:43 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(09-09-2024, 06:24 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

You know you're famous when you're featured in a David Attenborough documentary.

Just like the other Marsh Pride, that was featured in Savage Kingdom as well, which may be the greatest doc about lions to date, in a sea full of great ones. Sadly, the marsh area that they once ruled over has been overtaken by humans, and many of those lionesses featured in that documentary have been killed. A discussion for another time, and another thread.
1 user Likes BA0701's post