There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-23-2021, 04:34 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 03:00 PM)Potato Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 02:09 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Any idea what happened to the females he was with?

photo credit:  Kobus de Beer

The adult female returned to the core pride. younger female idk, but I assume she did the same.

He was in the company of this female.   Could it be the younger lioness from his breakaway?

This is white dot. One of the old Birmingham lionesses
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(11-23-2021, 07:38 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 02:09 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Any idea what happened to the females he was with?

The adult female returned to the core pride. younger female idk, but I assume she did the same.

He was in the company of this female.   Could it be the younger lioness from his breakaway?

If the Skorro young male is spending time with Birmingham lioness, than the Ross males will have to chase him out
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-24-2021, 06:12 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:

If the Skorro young male is spending time with Birmingham lioness, than the Ross males will have to chase him out
This was in Kruger. Thus, most likely, the Ross males were on Ngala. Interesting times ahead for the two Ross. One of the many successfully duo's of the Timbavati.
5 users Like Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Red Road and BYM's mother, if I'm not mistaken.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-24-2021, 08:05 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Yes, She's mother of them
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(11-25-2021, 07:27 PM)Timbavati Wrote:

They are littermates?
2 users Like Mdz123's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2021, 10:49 PM by criollo2mil )

(11-25-2021, 08:20 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:

They are littermates?

They’re not littermates, different fathers.   RRM born 2013 was sired by Skorro ThandaImpi and YBM born 2016 was sired by Brutus Avoca/Girrafe.   RRM is littermate to ‘Blackdot’ lioness who is mother to the White Birmingham YM.   YBM is littermate to the Lioness who is other to the 1m 1f youngest Subs of the Pride.   This lioness is also suspected to be mother of Nhena of the Gowrie Males.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Cath2020 Offline

(11-25-2021, 10:48 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

They are littermates?

They’re not littermates, different fathers.   RRM born 2013 was sired by Skorro ThandaImpi and YBM born 2016 was sired by Brutus Avoca/Girrafe.   RRM is littermate to ‘Blackdot’ lioness who is mother to the White Birmingham YM.   YBM is littermate to the Lioness who is other to the 1m 1f youngest Subs of the Pride.   This lioness is also suspected to be mother of Nhena of the Gowrie Males.

Some fans might believe it, but I am not one of them...that RRM is the son of Skorro Thandi Impi.  There is no hardcore evidence (yes, I've heard it) enough in my mind to convince me, in addition, their physical appearance is totally different, down to the eye shape, etc.  If anything, he resembles one of the N. Avocas more, as if he is a half brother to him, at least.  That would mean they'd share the same sire.
4 users Like Cath2020's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(11-26-2021, 01:20 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:

They are littermates?

Some fans might believe it, but I am not one of them...that RRM is the son of Skorro Thandi Impi.  There is no hardcore evidence (yes, I've heard it) enough in my mind to convince me, in addition, their physical appearance is totally different, down to the eye shape, etc.  If anything, he resembles one of the N. Avocas more, as if he is a half brother to him, at least.  That would mean they'd share the same sire.

I know it’s a very debated subject.   I was also like you, skeptical and unsure.  But the Photographic evidence and explanation of the timeline has convinced me.  Not sure what you’ve seen, but in the interest some others want to research for themselves I will share the link to a thread on FB where it’s discussed in detail to include whisker spot comparisons

Thread:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1798656796868524/posts/3232813456786177/
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(11-26-2021, 01:20 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:

They are littermates?

I disagree with the Resemblance a lot. I think he actually does look a lot like Skorro. His face shape and his sleepy eye look is literally Skorro
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

The lions played along nicely again this week, and our guests saw the cats on most days. Sightings were made up mostly of the Mayambula Pride and their Skorro males – sometimes together in their entirety, but more often than not split into smaller fragments. We saw the pride on a very motivated hunt one evening until the wind started howling – the weather system was blowing in fast – and after that, some of the pride members seemed to lose the others and spent the next couple of hours wandering around alone until they eventually regrouped.  A day later, the whole pride was lying together looking very fat-bellied and continuing the trend of us only ever seeing them after they’ve finished their kills. One morning, we heard another male roar close to the pride in the far west, which was interesting. The two Skorro males were in the far east, and the lionesses soon got up and walked in the opposite direction. We didn’t manage to find the roaring male, as he was deep in the bush, but I suspect it was likely one of the Vuyela males.  The next day, the Mayambula pride were unsurprisingly found in the heart of their territory in the east.

*This image is copyright of its original author

This week also saw the reappearance of the Ross and Hercules females as they popped in for a brief period. Both girls were looking in good shape and their bond seemed as strong as any other lionesses, which is fascinating considering they are unrelated. The biggest surprise of the week was the appearance of eight members of the Avoca Pride in the south-west of our concession. Whilst we didn’t venture down to see them, it was interesting to hear that this pride made a very rare and random visit to our area and were encroaching into the Giraffe Pride territory. It seems they were trailing a buffalo herd and this led to them coming north, but time will tell if it was a one-off visit, or not.
7 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Good to hear the two lionesses have formed a successfull bond
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Snare removal on a male lion up in Balule 

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-27-2021, 04:12 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Snare removal on a male lion up in Balule