There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(12-04-2021, 08:55 PM)Potato Wrote: Birmingham Young Male and the Torchwood Male.

*This image is copyright of its original author

You can really see the size difference in this photo.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The two Birmingham pride males. The two Ross males, the undisputed kings of Ngala; Born in December 2010 they'll turn 11 this month, And after of three years and 7 months of dominance over the Ngala turf. They are still doing pretty well in the area and fathers of a good amount of offspring in the Birmingham pride and Birmingham breakaway pride. 
Photo credits: Roan Du Plessis

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One of the two Ross males in 2017
Photo credits: Johan Adolf Smalman 

8 users Like Timbavati's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Skorro males with Myambula pride
Things going pretty good for now as these males settled in Rockfig with them & continually mating and getting big meals.
But how long good times will last? Because two of the Vuyela males also paying visit to Rockfig area in search of the females.
Credit: CS wildcam

6 users Like lionuk's post

DE_66 Offline

(12-01-2021, 04:52 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 01:51 AM)DE_66 Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 03:33 PM)Potato Wrote: Tanda Tula update

This week also saw the reappearance of the Ross and Hercules females as they popped in for a brief period. Both girls were looking in good shape and their bond seemed as strong as any other lionesses, which is fascinating considering they are unrelated. The biggest surprise of the week was the appearance of eight members of the Avoca Pride in the south-west of our concession. Whilst we didn’t venture down to see them, it was interesting to hear that this pride made a very rare and random visit to our area and were encroaching into the Giraffe Pride territory. It seems they were trailing a buffalo herd and this led to them coming north, but time will tell if it was a one-off visit, or not.

Could someone give some background on these two lionesses and how they're related to current males with the same name?  Thank you in advance.

The last Ross lioness is most likely the sister of the two Ross males. The  age of the Ross lioness seem match with the the age of both Ross males, worn teeth among other characterics. Mostly of the coalitions in the Greater Kruger National Park and KNP get a coalition name according in the pride they were born. Ross males were born into the Ross pride, Hence the name of the Ross coalition comes from. Same for the Torchwood young male or Birmingham young male, As well, For the three River pride, Skorro males, Monwana males & the Black dam young males among others. Regarding the Hercules lioness, I didn't get any pic of her so far. So, once I get pics, We'll guess his age and see if match's with the 'Born timeline' of the Hercules male

I apologize for not being more specific.  I do understand how coalitions are named.  I personally don't like when they're named after their natal pride, but that obviously happens a lot.

@Timbavati you answered my actual question.  I was wondering if the Ross lioness was the aunt/sister/niece of the Ross Males and if the Hercules female was any of those to the Hercules male. 

Did I read on here somewhere that the Hercules Pride was a Birmingham Breakaway?  Or a Breakaway of another pride?
2 users Like DE_66's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-07-2021, 04:27 AM by criollo2mil )

(12-07-2021, 04:02 AM)DE_66 Wrote: Did I read on here somewhere that the Hercules Pride was a Birmingham Breakaway?  Or a Breakaway of another pride?

Not sure the Hercules Pride  origin, but it was not The Birmingham Pride.   I know of only three Breakaways from the Birmingham Pride:

The Nharu Pride, The Disbanded Red Road Pride (whose lionesses returned to main Pride after Red Road Male went nomadic), and the current Birmingham Breakaway Pride.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-07-2021, 04:02 AM)DE_66 Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 04:52 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 01:51 AM)DE_66 Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 03:33 PM)Potato Wrote: Tanda Tula update

This week also saw the reappearance of the Ross and Hercules females as they popped in for a brief period. Both girls were looking in good shape and their bond seemed as strong as any other lionesses, which is fascinating considering they are unrelated. The biggest surprise of the week was the appearance of eight members of the Avoca Pride in the south-west of our concession. Whilst we didn’t venture down to see them, it was interesting to hear that this pride made a very rare and random visit to our area and were encroaching into the Giraffe Pride territory. It seems they were trailing a buffalo herd and this led to them coming north, but time will tell if it was a one-off visit, or not.

Could someone give some background on these two lionesses and how they're related to current males with the same name?  Thank you in advance.

The last Ross lioness is most likely the sister of the two Ross males. The  age of the Ross lioness seem match with the the age of both Ross males, worn teeth among other characterics. Mostly of the coalitions in the Greater Kruger National Park and KNP get a coalition name according in the pride they were born. Ross males were born into the Ross pride, Hence the name of the Ross coalition comes from. Same for the Torchwood young male or Birmingham young male, As well, For the three River pride, Skorro males, Monwana males & the Black dam young males among others. Regarding the Hercules lioness, I didn't get any pic of her so far. So, once I get pics, We'll guess his age and see if match's with the 'Born timeline' of the Hercules male

I apologize for not being more specific.  I do understand how coalitions are named.  I personally don't like when they're named after their natal pride, but that obviously happens a lot.

@Timbavati you answered my actual question.  I was wondering if the Ross lioness was the aunt/sister/niece of the Ross Males and if the Hercules female was any of those to the Hercules male. 

Did I read on here somewhere that the Hercules Pride was a Birmingham Breakaway?  Or a Breakaway of another pride?
The Hercules pride breakaway from the Mafikizolo pride in Northern Timbavati.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Vuela males

7 users Like Potato's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Four Black Dam males found in Thornybush
Credit: andidill

8 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Regal as ever, proud male lion Hosi watches over the current apple of his eye - one of the River pride females in full oestrus. What a rare thing to see mating lions in the wild - an epic sighting for our guests last week! Counting down the days (110 to be precise!) until more cute cubbies arrive in the Klaserie

7 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Birmingham Young Male and the Torchwood Male.

10 users Like Potato's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-10-2021, 03:40 PM)Potato Wrote: Birmingham Young Male and the Torchwood Male.

Those two are proving to be quite good hunters on their own. Really glad to see this.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

The lions were represented by a few days of the Mayambula hanging around in the eastern and south-eastern sections of the reserve this week.  The pride are in great shape, and the males spent time mating with a few of the lionesses in the pride.  There were a couple of occasions when the lionesses split into smaller groups, but after our rain the pride were found together on one of the open areas in the east.  There were no signs of the Sark or Vuyela lions this week, and even further west the Giraffe Pride were once again absent.  The guides are not sure where they are hiding their cubs, but still talk about just how tiny the little ones were when they introduced them to us a few weeks back – that is one sighting I am most disappointed that I missed out on!

6 users Like Potato's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(12-10-2021, 08:55 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 03:40 PM)Potato Wrote: Birmingham Young Male and the Torchwood Male.

Those two are proving to be quite good hunters on their own. Really glad to see this.
You're right. They're always eating in most of the picture I see of these guys.
2 users Like afortich's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

"A Timbevati update by the hand of the expert Johan Adolf Smalman

The Makanyi Guides found 7 sub adult males and 4 adult lionesses from the Birmingham Breakaway on a buffalo kil. Then the Torchwood Male and Birmingham Young Male with an Avoca lioness chased them off the kill."
7 users Like Slayerd's post