There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ngonya Offline

Southern Avoca male along with the Kruger male at Djuma wildearth live

*This image is copyright of its original author

11 users Like Ngonya's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Nkuhuma was a proper territorial male once, it's just that it was for a very short time.

As for names, if guides are using it, I would consider it "canonized", but I don't like it as it was given by fans and pushed a lot by them, I'll just keep referring to him as the Talamati male.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(09-18-2024, 08:31 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Southern Avoca male along with the Kruger male at Djuma wildearth live

Most excellent news, for both of them. I would imagine such a pairing, if it can last, would be most difficult for Kruger Male, having been a lone male for so long. Surely, they could both use some companionship at this moment in time.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

The problem with that theory is that none of the lions mentioned are really lions that were out to challenge other lions at the time. They only gained territory in the first place by the unrelated demise of rivals and never really stood their ground in a big conflict.
Even Nhena, the most successful one of the bunch, was pretty much fully in survival mode and would have likely ended up wandering around like the southern Avoca or Mohawk had there not been an opportunity with the Ximhungwes. 

We just have to wait and see. If they don't run into trouble, they still have plenty of time to improve their game.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

KM600 Offline

(09-18-2024, 08:31 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Southern Avoca male along with the Kruger male at Djuma wildearth live

Great news! Surely that must be the S.Avocas first ever time on WildEarth unless he made an appearance in his much earlier years.
3 users Like KM600's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Hopefully, these two stay together.
2 users Like afortich's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: Yesterday, 06:29 AM by Mapokser )

I think Skorro/NK and Tumbela/NK duo had potential, but they never had time to properly bond.

I think they had more potential than Nhenha/NK who were lucky to have enough time and better opportunities. Nhenha was 12yo after all.

Still, Nhenha/NK became territorial and could have had kept that territory to this very day, If they had charged together I think the clash would end up similar to how PCM/Ndhzenga clash ended. They were together for more than 6 months and were territorial for a month, they could have done it against the PCM but well, PCM ended up being much stronger and that's that.

NK/Talamati will need many more months and good opportunities to have success, if they meet any territorial coalition right now, chances are big that it will end just like NK's previous coalitions. We musn't forget that Talamati, even without any clashes, would often abandon his brother for months to wander around, and NK also loves to break a partnership as soon as a clash happens, so it doesn't sound like they are the best lions to form a strong enough bond.

KM600 Offline

(09-18-2024, 11:11 PM)Mapokser Wrote: We musn't forget that Talamati, even without any clashes, would often abandon his brother for months to wander around, and NK also loves to break a partnership as soon as a clash happens, so it doesn't sound like they are the best lions to form a strong enough bond.

Is this not more highlighting Khanyas abnormal bond with Dzwihala more than a reason why the partnership with NK may yet fail. There were also other factors that come into play with that too, Dzwihala was still hanging with his sisters by the time Khanya left, it’s not like one of the brothers was challenging for territory straight away while the other was just wandering around the North. 

We don’t know how much ‘thinking’ lions go through before making their moves but I do believe Khanya sensed a better situation with the 4 Nkuhuma boys and Mohawk so tried to pursue that, unfortunately it didn’t work. So I think both the brothers were very independent and that showed by them always being separated. As long as NK continues to follow Khanya, and it seems like he has been for consecutive months, then this new partnership has a real good chance at being permanent. That is also dependant on how they react to dominant males anyways, like u mentioned.
2 users Like KM600's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

If he had an "abnormal" bond with the brother he lived with his entire life, why do you think he'll easily bond with a male known for abandoning countless previous partners due to multiple reasons?

Even with the Talamati themselves, NK had partned and abandoned them multiple times before. Talamati, his brother aside, also abandoned the Nkuhuma males, then he was alone with Mohawk for a while and also abandoned him, then he was with some unknown young males in Kruger for a while before leaving them again...

I'm not saying it won't work out this time, but both males have a strong history of failed partnerships.

Building a strong bond with an unrelated male and challenging for territory in an area where you don't outnumber your opponents is not an easy job.

KM600 Offline

(Yesterday, 06:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: If he had an "abnormal" bond with the brother he lived with his entire life, why do you think he'll easily bond with a male known for abandoning countless previous partners due to multiple reasons?

Even with the Talamati themselves, NK had partned and abandoned them multiple times before. Talamati, his brother aside, also abandoned the Nkuhuma males, then he was alone with Mohawk for a while and also abandoned him, then he was with some unknown young males in Kruger for a while before leaving them again...

I'm not saying it won't work out this time, but both males have a strong history of failed partnerships.

Building a strong bond with an unrelated male and challenging for territory in an area where you don't outnumber your opponents is not an easy job.

Khanya never abandoned the Nkuhuma boys nor do I think they were ever together to the point we can say who abandoned who. It’s a well known fact that towards the end, Khanya was trailing Nkuhuma Pride but he wasn’t getting accepted as much as before which caused him and Mohawk to go into Londolozi alone and I believe after that was when he returned to his brother who was also with NK. Made no sense trying to form a coalition with Mohawk being such an older male when he still had a brother and his half brothers were still members of a pride, they weren’t moving as a coalition yet

Similar thing happened in KNP, the males he met prolly weren’t ready to even form a coalition, they were still members of a pride / breakaway pride and young themselves. I also think them sticking to KNP was the reason that never worked too, it’s not by chance Khanya come straight back to Sabi Sands, he’s more comfortable over here.

Ttimemarti Offline

From what I remember the darker maned talamati male went nomadic first the one that is still alive was still with the pride and when they found eachother it was always the smaller talamati male who showed up being beaten up and sick and skinny while is brother was perfect then they got chased in the south and the bigger brother disappeared and the smaller talamati male was seen in Kruger alone

Mak1998 Offline
New Join

Khanya Talamati (smaller Talamati) has some experience in clashes him and his dad Dark Mane Avoca and Dzwihala (bigger Talamati) beat up the S8 male before Dark Manes death. And Khanya has shown dominance over the bigger SBD male this year also. I hope that Nkhuma male doesn't back down from a clash when it comes time to take over a pride and lead to Khanya's death. Look at what happened to the Tumbela he was mauled in the south of sabi sands this summer when he was with Nkhuma. I know Nkhuma has clashed with the Kumbla Males in the past and of course the PCM males. I see him as the weak leak in this coalition he lacks confidence. They won't be challenging any coalition they are too strong for them. The only pride that is unstable right now is the Nkhuma pride but the latest reports that I have seen are that some of the females are pregnant PCM are the fathers? Let's see what happens in the following months

DE_66 Offline

(09-16-2024, 01:00 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Kind of bittersweet, another 'Solo' born into the Tsalala Pride!  Shades of bygone days.  His destiny will be much harder as he is not only a solo boy, but born to a lone lioness. Will be interesting to watch his story unfold in the coming months and years, if he survives that long.

Was BiBi Tsalala's first successful litter Tailed, Tailless, and Solo?  If this litter of 2+1 is half as legendary, they'll do just fine!
2 users Like DE_66's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 3 hours ago by criollo2mil )

(11 hours ago)DE_66 Wrote:
(09-16-2024, 01:00 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Kind of bittersweet, another 'Solo' born into the Tsalala Pride!  Shades of bygone days.  His destiny will be much harder as he is not only a solo boy, but born to a lone lioness. Will be interesting to watch his story unfold in the coming months and years, if he survives that long.

Was BiBi Tsalala's first successful litter Tailed, Tailless, and Solo?  If this litter of 2+1 is half as legendary, they'll do just fine!

not solo.   just the two females that eventually became tailess2 and tailed born 2002.   Solo was 1/2 males born in 2005 to BB's 2nd Litter.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

In Djuma, Kruger Male showing a little dominance over S Avoca.

6 users Like BA0701's post