There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Canada Robot00 Offline

(09-06-2024, 04:46 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Well.. Here's to hoping this is just a bunch of lions hanging out without care.

I hope this S.bdm makes a full recovery and find a dependable partner unlike his "you are dead to me" brother. His story has been very sad. Getting injured and having your own flesh blood abandoned you. That is disheartening.

Imagine when he's fully healed. he then somehow teams up with orpen skorro. That would be so cool
1 user Likes Robot00's post

United States Friarfan619 Offline

I hope this S.bdm makes a full recovery and find a dependable partner unlike his "you are dead to me" brother. His story has been very sad. Getting injured and having your own flesh blood abandoned you. That is disheartening.

Imagine when he's fully healed. he then somehow teams up with orpen skorro. That would be so cool

Has orpen skorro even been seen??
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Ximhungwes playing:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-07-2024, 11:19 PM by NLAL11 )

7 Nkuhumas and the S.BDM this morning. Edit: Sorry Liam said 7 but I only counted 6 Nkuhumas. Re-edit: Nope, 7. Lol

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like NLAL11's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

(09-07-2024, 09:08 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Has orpen skorro even been seen??

Unfortunately he's been m.i.a since another less dependable partner also ditched him. In a way i am glad after the fact that he did not team up with you know who and hopefully he found another more dependable partner somewhere.

If only we know where all these guys are
3 users Like Robot00's post

Go131810 Offline

(09-07-2024, 10:53 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: 7 Nkuhumas and the S.BDM this morning. Edit: Sorry Liam said 7 but I only counted 6 Nkuhumas. Re-edit: Nope, 7. Lol

Very nice photos especially Black Damn male lion and young nukhum male lion. Wonder where Mohawk is. I would love to see the Black Damn male lion and have some cubs again with the Nukhuma lionesses.

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2024, 02:19 AM by KM600 )

Sending Nkuhuma Pride news in here as it doesn’t solely consist of these lionesses and it follows onto the above conversation. Anyways, for a while I’ve heard rumours about some Nkuhuma Pride females starting to show possible pregnancy, and in the latest WildEarth livestream 3 females are looking quite big. 

Note, there have been 3 females who have always separated themselves to mate with different males and I believe those are Amber Eyes 2, Little Amber and Ridge Nose daughter. The question is who fathered these litters, the longer it takes for the cubs to be born, the more chance they were sired by PCMs.

However, being as big as some of the females are right now, if cubs were to be dropped anytime now, K4 is most likely the father being that his last mating is the one that mathematically makes the most sense. He was mating up until the end of April, K5 was mating during this time too but nowhere near as long as he returned back South for the rest of his brothers. PCMs started mating mid May and Khanya was only seen mating with Little Amber in mid May, but was with the Nkuhumas for months so easily could have mated with other females, he’s the dark horse in this. Ndzengas also mated around this time but it wasn’t anywhere near as frequent as these other males. Female gestation period is 110 - 120 days, just so u all are able to put together how likely it is for each male / coalition to have sired these litters.
3 users Like KM600's post

(09-08-2024, 02:16 AM)KM600 Wrote: Sending Nkuhuma Pride news in here as it doesn’t solely consist of these lionesses and it follows onto the above conversation. Anyways, for a while I’ve heard rumours about some Nkuhuma Pride females starting to show possible pregnancy, and in the latest WildEarth livestream 3 females are looking quite big. 

Note, there have been 3 females who have always separated themselves to mate with different males and I believe those are Amber Eyes 2, Little Amber and Ridge Nose daughter. The question is who fathered these litters, the longer it takes for the cubs to be born, the more chance they were sired by PCMs.

However, being as big as some of the females are right now, if cubs were to be dropped anytime now, K4 is most likely the father being that his last mating is the one that mathematically makes the most sense. He was mating up until the end of April, K5 was mating during this time too but nowhere near as long as he returned back South for the rest of his brothers. PCMs started mating mid May and Khanya was only seen mating with Little Amber in mid May, but was with the Nkuhumas for months so easily could have mated with other females, he’s the dark horse in this. Ndzengas also mated around this time but it wasn’t anywhere near as frequent as these other males. Female gestation period is 110 - 120 days, just so u all are able to put together how likely it is for each male / coalition to have sired these litters.

Liam mentioned that the absent lioness could have been looking for a den site. If you're right about PC males not mating until mid May then it's too early to be them, so as you said the father is most likely K4. Could the Black Dam males also potentially be fathers? I'm not sure on the gap between when they last mated with the Nkuhuma girls and when K4 came in and started mating with them.

Either way, would be interesting to see the PC males accepting cubs that we are (almost) certain were sired by other males. But to be honest I don't have high hopes for any cubs that are born, as things are too unstable for them to have a good chance. A bit like the Mbiri cubs in the Manyeleti.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

(09-08-2024, 02:30 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(09-08-2024, 02:16 AM)KM600 Wrote: Sending Nkuhuma Pride news in here as it doesn’t solely consist of these lionesses and it follows onto the above conversation. Anyways, for a while I’ve heard rumours about some Nkuhuma Pride females starting to show possible pregnancy, and in the latest WildEarth livestream 3 females are looking quite big. 

Liam mentioned that the absent lioness could have been looking for a den site. If you're right about PC males not mating until mid May then it's too early to be them, so as you said the father is most likely K4. Could the Black Dam males also potentially be fathers? I'm not sure on the gap between when they last mated with the Nkuhuma girls and when K4 came in and started mating with them.

Either way, would be interesting to see the PC males accepting cubs that we are (almost) certain were sired by other males. But to be honest I don't have high hopes for any cubs that are born, as things are too unstable for them to have a good chance. A bit like the Mbiri cubs in the Manyeleti.

I, too, don’t have much hope in the survival of these cubs. BDMs were last seen mating when some Nkuhuma females also split off to mate with the Kambulas, and I wanna say that was around late March / early April. Then they dissapeared for a while and K4 was doing most the mating, so based off what we know, it’s unlikely they fathered these litters.
3 users Like KM600's post

United Kingdom Vengeous Offline

Just a clarification - PCMs were seen mating with RN daughter the day after they killed Chela (Chela was killed on 28 April). They were seen consistently mating with her for the next couple of weeks or so. If that is the case, I would argue that they are most likely the fathers of RN's daughter, as we are well past the 120-day gestation period from the last possible time K4 mated with RN's daughter (I believe the last sighting of him mating was 26 April, if not earlier than that). I actually think if the cubs are not the PCM's, the most likely candidate after that would be Khanya.
2 users Like Vengeous's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its better to wait for an actual date of birth for these cubs befere we start counting back. 

Right now we cant even tell for sure if they are pregnant. Let alone for how many weeks. Just being a few weeks off can make a huge difference.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

(09-08-2024, 10:57 AM)Vengeous Wrote:

Just a clarification - PCMs were seen mating with RN daughter the day after they killed Chela (Chela was killed on 28 April). They were seen consistently mating with her for the next couple of weeks or so. If that is the case, I would argue that they are most likely the fathers of RN's daughter, as we are well past the 120-day gestation period from the last possible time K4 mated with RN's daughter (I believe the last sighting of him mating was 26 April, if not earlier than that). I actually think if the cubs are not the PCM's, the most likely candidate after that would be Khanya.

I knew they were with the Nkuhumas end of April but didn’t know they started mating that early. Anyways, I didn’t mention it in the above message as it’s also not confirmation but K4 was also seen with some Nkuhuma females even once PCMs had split the pride, problem is I don’t think it’s known who he was with or if he was for sure mating. 

Khanya actually has a great chance of them being his too, as he was spotted several times with Little Amber, with two confirmed videos of mating for around a few days while the PCMs weren’t around so he had no reason to stop.
1 user Likes KM600's post

(09-08-2024, 01:09 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its better to wait for an actual date of birth for these cubs befere we start counting back. 

Right now we cant even tell for sure if they are pregnant. Let alone for how many weeks. Just being a few weeks off can make a huge difference.

I am now quite sure they are indeed pregnant, as I said the females are looking real big and when I tuned into WildEarth both the BDM and Nkuhuma YM were seen with these same lionesses. Neither of them have half the stomach atleast one of the lionesses have. The best thing to come out would be a video of each member walking one-by-one for the final proof, there’s one taken a few days ago but they have all fed in that video.

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2024, 03:13 PM by Duco Ndona )

Zoos which observe their animals nearly 24/7, have full access to the dieet and medical record of an lion and can take blood samples, typically shy away from confirming their big cats to be pregnant becouse it happens quite often not to be the case. While other times they find cubs in enclosures of animals that have been on anticonception and showed no signs of pregnancy at all. 

If even in these controlled enviroments, experts cant reliably make such calls and pretty much hope for the best. I sincerely doubt that we through some images and videos posted in the internet can make anything more than a wild guess.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Londolozi Blog The Week in Pictures #665

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/09/06/th...tures-665/

The lion dynamics continue to keep us enthralled as the Kambula Pride cover great distances overnight as they continue to provide for all 18 of them. The Nhdzenga males continue to control the central and eastern parts of the reserve keeping other coalitions at bay, with the Plains Camp males still to the west of them and a brief sighting of the southern Avoca male in the southwestern parts of the reserve.

The Southern Avoca male, possibly around the time he was spotted with K6. Picture taken 9th August.

8 users Like NLAL11's post