There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its probably more that they are overhyped and people and expected far to much of them. People saw a big coalition and automatically assumed that they were going to be the new Mapogos and all that. Becouse being a warrior is what a lion is supposed to be. 

But in reality they are just animals trying to live a happy life. If for them that means just wandering around for now. Then there is no reason for them to throw themselves into battles.
6 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2024, 02:35 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-31-2024, 01:27 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Yeah. Older Kambulas were very bold by splitting and going to Kruger. Even if they joined a third male, they are still 3, not 4, and are dominant for many many months by now, while their 4 brothers in a much easier area having twice the numbers of every other coalition, are still nomads.

Then arent 2 younger BDMs also bold to split from their brothers? But you are calling them weak.

You do realize numbers only matter compared to numbers off opponents?

If 3 faced 1, they have far more advantage then 4 facing 2, which younger ones are facing. We even dont know if older Kambulas and partner faced any competition.

Also, why do we always assume that Kruger is far more dangerous for nomadic male lions then Sabi Sands? There is absolutley no evidence for that, this is same ecosystem, theres no magical barrier. NK young males lost their member in SS, despite traveling thru Kruger, Talamati also most likely went missing in SS, etc..

Same way I can say that 2 older Kambulas left Sabi Sands because competition was too fierce and they moved into less competitive area, couldnt i ?

(05-31-2024, 01:27 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Also we had seen their partner beaten from mating rights fights, as well as winning a lioness once, so at the very least he is not particularly more dominant than the others necessarily.

Getting scars doesnt mean he lost the battle.

Regardless, again my point, we have too little info about these guys to come with any conclusions or comparisons.

Only info we have is they partnered with another male and become territorial around Nyamundwa dam at age of 5, thats basically it.

If based of that you think they are superior lions, then ok, in the end, as @Duco Ndona says, for them it doesnt matter.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline

(05-31-2024, 02:04 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: But in reality they are just animals trying to live a happy life. If for them that means just wandering around for now. Then there is no reason for them to throw themselves into battles.
honestly, thats a valid point imo.

At least two (not to say three) of them do not prioritize mating. The only ambitious brother with the mentality of a 'common' lion of that age is K4.

However, i personally think that one of the matters isn't that they "don't throw themselves into battles"
it's more like, the fight comes to them and they run away. Even with all the advantages they naturally have, these boys still lack the gut stand up for themselves when facing a real challenge. 

And is it just me or do they seem to have increased their tolerance towards other males from 2023 onwards?
In late 2023/early 2024, they challenged and faced BDM for territory. They roared as if they owned the north, and even managed to displace the dominant duo of the Nkuhuma pride.
However, a little later, they were seen tolerating the two BDM on a carcass.
More recently, they tolerated the Nkuhuma male in a carcass too, same lion they once beat last year. 

I know that the carcasses involved in those more recent situation can be a factor in providing this type of tolerance, but it is still undeniably weird(?)

(05-31-2024, 02:18 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: If 3 faced 1, they have far more advantage then 4 facing 2, which younger ones are facing. We even dont know if older Kambulas and partner faced any competition.
True, but as you very well said previsouly, we cannot assume anything. 
But the fact is the Kambulas managed to displace the BDM and the Nkuhuma pride was vacated for quite a bit of time. But the boys for some reason went south, only to get beaten by Gijimas and then Plains Camp...
Even Talamati male took his chance at that brief time the pride didnt have a protector. 

No wonder Plains Camp are now easily claiming the pride and territory like theirs.

(05-31-2024, 02:18 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Getting scars doesnt mean he lost the battle.
How older is the Pretoriuskop male compared to the 2 KKBoys?

His mane is extremely dark and since the beginning of the partnership he seemed significantly more developed/older, these factors obviously make it easier for him to be at least the most popular with the lionesses. Which would normally be the main criteria for defining the dominant male i guess

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 Yes, S.BDM were bold in splitting and moving so much into completely unknown areas.

But they ended up being very below average in strength.

Kambulas were both bold and strong. And they took over the pride that was ruled by 2 Phabani + Blondie 4ways. We don't know how that happened but they did it as 3 and as much younger males than the 4 Kambulas who had a vacated territory but didn't take it anyway.

I never said Kruger is overall more dangerous than SS ( never mind far more ), I said leaving 4 other brothers to venture into the unknown Kruger was more dangerous than staying as 6 in Sabi Sands, roaming areas they were familiar with, you know, being lions of Sabi Sand and everything.

And yes it doesn't matter to them, I never said it does, I'm just commenting about the different behaviours and dynamics of these animals, pointing out the interesting fact that the older Kambulas with a much worse hand performed much better in terms of having success, than their younger brothers.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

New Londolozi blog about the Tsalala lioness having cubs. Some great pictures of her, all old though.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/05/28/th...-has-cubs/

I think we've all got our fingers crossed for this girl.
8 users Like NLAL11's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(05-31-2024, 04:21 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 Yes, S.BDM were bold in splitting and moving so much into completely unknown areas.

But they ended up being very below average in strength.

Kambulas were both bold and strong. And they took over the pride that was ruled by 2 Phabani + Blondie 4ways. We don't know how that happened but they did it as 3 and as much younger males than the 4 Kambulas who had a vacated territory but didn't take it anyway.

I never said Kruger is overall more dangerous than SS ( never mind far more ), I said leaving 4 other brothers to venture into the unknown Kruger was more dangerous than staying as 6 in Sabi Sands, roaming areas they were familiar with, you know, being lions of Sabi Sand and everything.

And yes it doesn't matter to them, I never said it does, I'm just commenting about the different behaviours and dynamics of these animals, pointing out the interesting fact that the older Kambulas with a much worse hand performed much better in terms of having success, than their younger brothers.i thought 
i thought there 3 Phabani + Blondie 4ways where are they now are they nomadic or they have a pride ?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2024, 04:27 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-31-2024, 04:17 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: i thought there 3 Phabani + Blondie 4ways where are they now are they nomadic or they have a pride ?

They kinda split in 2022, 2 went to Pretoriuskup/Shitlave, while Blondie and 3rd stayed at Nyamundwa, but Kambulas came in that area in 2023.

Updates on them are rare, so idk their status atm.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mak1998 Offline
New Join

Have any of y’all seen the video of the southern avoca male bringing down a full grown buffalo on his own. Tried to upload the link I couldn’t. Marsh Kaleo < 3 shared can anyone verify if its him if it is that’s impressive for a older lion.
1 user Likes Mak1998's post

Mwk85 Offline

(06-02-2024, 05:15 AM)Mak1998 Wrote: Have any of y’all seen the video of the southern avoca male bringing down a full grown buffalo on his own. Tried to upload the link I couldn’t. Marsh Kaleo < 3 shared can anyone verify if its him if it is that’s impressive for a older lion.

If you haven't seen it already, it's posted in the Avoca males thread.
2 users Like Mwk85's post

United States adamstocks16 Offline

Maybe the buffalo was old or sick as it didn’t seem to put up much resistance? Despite that, take nothing away from the Southern Avoca the risk paid off and he earned himself a huge meal.
1 user Likes adamstocks16's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Probably they go for the old and weak ones they put up less of a fight
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(06-02-2024, 06:35 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Probably they go for the old and weak ones they put up less of a fight

All predators do this. They go for the sick, the old and the young.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Elephant Plains Weekly Lion Sightings 27 May - 2 June

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/2024/06/10843/

*This image is copyright of its original author

Plains Camp male. Credits to Nicholas Greeff.

Tuesday, 28 May 2024
  • Northern Avoca, male lion stationary North of Eagleowl Crossing.
  • One Plains Camp male lion mating with two Nkuhuma lioness at Elephant Plains Open Area.
  • One Plains Camp male lion and one Nkuhuma lioness stationary on Elephant Plains Airstrip.
Wednesday, 29 May 2024
  • Nkuhuma pride consisting of four lionesses, one sub adult male and the Talamati male lion mobile East from Simbambili Dam.
  • The Talamati male lion displaying dominance to the Black Dam male lion East of Simbambili Dam.
Thursday, 30 May 2024
  • Four Kambula male lions and one Kambula lioness stationary at Tamboti Dam.
Saturday, 2 June 2024
  • One Black Dam male lion mobile North from Sherley’s Open.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-02-2024, 09:51 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Elephant Plains Weekly Lion Sightings 27 May - 2 June

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/2024/06/10843/

*This image is copyright of its original author

Plains Camp male. Credits to Nicholas Greeff.

Tuesday, 28 May 2024
  • Northern Avoca, male lion stationary North of Eagleowl Crossing.
  • One Plains Camp male lion mating with two Nkuhuma lioness at Elephant Plains Open Area.
  • One Plains Camp male lion and one Nkuhuma lioness stationary on Elephant Plains Airstrip.
Wednesday, 29 May 2024
  • Nkuhuma pride consisting of four lionesses, one sub adult male and the Talamati male lion mobile East from Simbambili Dam.
  • The Talamati male lion displaying dominance to the Black Dam male lion East of Simbambili Dam.
Thursday, 30 May 2024
  • Four Kambula male lions and one Kambula lioness stationary at Tamboti Dam.
Saturday, 2 June 2024
  • One Black Dam male lion mobile North from Sherley’s Open.

Through a few recent sightings, that SBDM has only been seen alone. The last time we saw his brother, he was not well, at all, very thing, and it was reported that he was badly limping on two legs. If something has happened to him, which I truly hope is not the case, it would explain a lot of recent events. Being alone, now for the first time in his life, may well have lead to the recent submission, by the healthy SBDM, to Khanya for instance.

I will continue to hope that he shows up, much improved from the last time we saw him, but things are not looking good for the one SBDM brother at the moment.

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-02-2024, 09:39 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(06-02-2024, 06:35 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Probably they go for the old and weak ones they put up less of a fight

All predators do this. They go for the sick, the old and the young.

Yes I know but our friend acted how did the old southern avoca do what he didn’t the buffalo was probably old but still it’s an incredible display of power by the old boy wish he had a partner looked like he was having trouble breaking the skin because of his teeth
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post