There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

The Talamatis in the Elephant Plains report are actually the 2 NK Breakaways so they got chased off from the carcass by their NK relatives, but the PCM then chased the NK pride from the carcass and the next day the NK Breakaways were at the carcass again.

It's possible they followed their fathers roars/moved to areas where their fathers are expanding.

Their fathers won't attack them but every other male lion would, so they have no reason to leave their fathers territory since it'd be dangerous. The PCM territory is huge and the only ones there that are a threat to the subs are the Mangheni pride, so the safest place for the NK Breakaways is within their fathers' territory.

Boy is still just 2, so if size doesn't matter he has at least 1 more year until his fathers start wanting to oust him.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(05-27-2024, 01:52 AM)Mapokser Wrote: The Talamatis in the Elephant Plains report are actually the 2 NK Breakaways so they got chased off from the carcass by their NK relatives, but the PCM then chased the NK pride from the carcass and the next day the NK Breakaways were at the carcass again.

It's possible they followed their fathers roars/moved to areas where their fathers are expanding.

Their fathers won't attack them but every other male lion would, so they have no reason to leave their fathers territory since it'd be dangerous. The PCM territory is huge and the only ones there that are a threat to the subs are the Mangheni pride, so the safest place for the NK Breakaways is within their fathers' territory.

Boy is still just 2, so if size doesn't matter he has at least 1 more year until his fathers start wanting to oust him.

The NK Breakaways we are talking about Ridge's subs?  Is that correct?  Sorry, that part has confused me a bit.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-27-2024, 02:46 AM by KM600 )

(05-27-2024, 02:18 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(05-27-2024, 01:52 AM)Mapokser Wrote: The Talamatis in the Elephant Plains report are actually the 2 NK Breakaways so they got chased off from the carcass by their NK relatives, but the PCM then chased the NK pride from the carcass and the next day the NK Breakaways were at the carcass again.

The NK Breakaways we are talking about Ridge's subs?  Is that correct?  Sorry, that part has confused me a bit.

Ye Nkuhuma Breakaways is their official name although technically I now see them as nomads and not an official pride but ‘Nkuhuma Breakaways’ will prolly stick with them for the time being.
3 users Like KM600's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Scar summary 5.27.24

6 users Like afortich's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

I am back after a very long time off Wildfact. Las time I was on here I believe it was Jan 2024. Can anyone give me an update of the major events that have happened since then?
6 users Like Mdz123's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-28-2024, 01:38 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: I am back after a very long time off Wildfact. Las time I was on here I believe it was Jan 2024. Can anyone give me an update of the major events that have happened since then?

Welcome back! You have some catching up to do, for sure. The biggest news of the last year is Makhulu and Pretty Boy didn't perish after all, they've popped up in Djuma, and apparently have decided to join the free for all in northern SS, as well. Guess they figured there wasn't enough chaos up there, as it was.

All joking aside, lots of moving parts in the chaos that is Norther Sabi Sands at the moment.
7 users Like BA0701's post

RookiePundit Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2024, 03:20 AM by RookiePundit )

(05-28-2024, 01:38 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: I am back after a very long time off Wildfact. Las time I was on here I believe it was Jan 2024. Can anyone give me an update of the major events that have happened since then?

Ridge Nose killed by Mhangeni pride, likely giving time to her two subs to escape. Nkhuma Breakaway now consists of her two sub adult offsprings, doing well all things considered.

Nkuhuma main pride is in turmoil, Black Dam males more or less left the area, leaving a pride without dominant male. Chela lost her cubs and was killed weeks later likely by Plain Camp Males. Pride is in disarray, females being visited by different by different males and have mated with (no partidcular order) Kambula 4 male, Khanya (Blonde Talamati Male), Black Dam males before and newly Plain Camp Males who seems to be determined to get the pride under their control very recently. Naturally some members avoid males they are not known to be safe to be around like Black Dam Males were and the pride might be splitting a lot, nothing permanent so far. All those mentioned in this paragraph plus the rest Kambula males + sister are occasionally viewed on Djuma and/or Wild Earth. Mohawk and his 3 sons (Lip Scar was killed in Sabi Sands by other lions, uncertain which ones) are mostly gone in Kruger but returned once again about a month ago (?) and left again.

Speaking about Talamatis - the young female group settled in south under control of Gijima coalition, ony by one giving birth to their cubs - and were renamed as Msutlu(Msuthu) after a local stream I believe. The S8 group, sometimes referred to as Talamati Breakaways are now simply Talamatis agaion and are down to 3 (Tiyelele (spelling?) the adult female - named by guides, meanign is resilience and one male and one female cub/sub) for quite some time, not much info abotu them lately. The Talamati males went to Kruger, something must have happened there and only Blonde Talamati has been seen since. He returned to Sabi Sands alone and recently is mostly in the north.

Nkuhuma and Tumbela finally got together, moved south and into Kruger but recently returned back to the western sector, which makes a lot of people uneasy considering they might be danger for mini PCMs if they focus on the north and abandon their prides in the west. Tsalala is now under their (PCMs) control as well, might be giving brith to cubs any day afaik (likely already did but the cubs not seen yet afaik). The bigger PCM now has a rather nasty cut close to his right eye (from his brother, who seemed to had an upper hand in an misunderstanding regarding a lioness - bit of footage exists, not of the very ocassion most likely), the eye is safe and the wound seems superficial, but certainly he is now reasily ecognizable without seeing the tow of them next to each other and likely will be for some time like Nkuhuma male has been.

Kambula young males are still with their sister, still don't have a confidence to go for making a move, two of the males got a beating on separate occasions (in the same week or so), one though to be caught/chased by PCMs, the other by Gijimas, con't rememeber which by whom, one of them was K5 and the other K3 or K6, surprisingly not K4, who plays with the fire the most. Kambula pride - Londolozi and Mala Mala agreed on callign the main pride with younger females and 13 cubs Kambula and the breakaway of 3 females incluing K6 (adn 3 cubs so far) Ntsevu (the Kambula cubs are predominantly males and take interest in buffalo hunts already).

I think that's about it. Perhaps wirth mentioning male who stepped on Sabi Sands soil in last month - very recently two males in the south who are supposed to be Charleston Males sons and Black Dam Males were chased back to Djuma by two Mantimahle sons who control Trochwood pride and are mostl on the Kruger side of the border or spotted in northeaster Mala Mala. Nothing came from it, no shift from them to the west happened, but they are notable as impressive specimen rivaling their younger PCM brothers. Enjoy.
7 users Like RookiePundit's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Ndhzenga males today scent-marking and patrolling in Elephant Plains, credits to pet_big_cat & therealbarbenglish:

Luckily the PCM are back in the West, but we know how fast they have been travelling between West and North.
7 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Although looking at the lions, are they really Ndhzengas? Might be PCM.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2024, 03:20 AM by T I N O )

Welcome back to WildFact again, my friend.

April 28th 2024, Chela the Nkuhuma lioness was found dead by WildEarth during the sunrise drive. It’s believed she was killed by Plains Camp Males.

March 14th 2024: The  four daughters of the Avoca male from Talamati pride have been named as the Msuthu pride after the Msuthu drainage line in their territory, it also pays homage to their initial use of the Msuthu as a refuge and den site for both litters of cubs.

26th May 2024, the two Black dam males were chased off by the 2 Plains camp males

April 2024, The Tsalala lioness gave birth to cubs. Cubs are still hidden at the den site. 

24th May 2024, two young males were seen at Sabi Sabi. 
they’re sons of the Charleston males from the S65 pride 

15th May 2024, Mohawk and the Nkuhuma boys were seen on Kruger (Rhino concession)

24th May 2024, the remaining S.Avoca male was seen 1km away from the three Nkuhuma young males (Rhino  Walking Safari)

17th May 2024, the two Othawa females were sighted together after a few days of being “missing” “separated from each-other”

18th April 2024, the Nkuhuma male made a return to Western Sabi Sands with a surprise. He partnered with the Tumbela male and they have been moving together since then. On 2nd May 2024, they were sighted in Kruger and later seen back again in SS. 

23rd January 2024: The remaining Talamati breakaway lioness was named as Tiyelele which means “Resilience”

23rd May 2024: The two Talamati sub-adults were chased by the Nkuhuma pride when they were feeding on a dead giraffe carcass (No signs of Tiyelele)

17th February 2024, the Nkuhuma lioness Ridge nose was killed by the Mangheni pride
7 users Like T I N O's post

RookiePundit Offline

(05-28-2024, 12:34 AM)afortich Wrote: Scar summary 5.27.24

Jeez, what an absurd level of scarring on PCYM's face at the end. Any lion called Scarface is an impostor.
6 users Like RookiePundit's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

welcome back!!
3 users Like afortich's post

United Kingdom Vengeous Offline

(05-28-2024, 03:00 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Although looking at the lions, are they really Ndhzengas? Might be PCM.

Darryn Gates, the guide from Elephant Plains who saw them, has confirmed they are PCM. It was yesterday morning, before they crossed into the Londolozi/Othawa boundary.

Can't remember where I saw it but I believe I read that the Ndhzengas are in Mala Mala right now.
5 users Like Vengeous's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(05-28-2024, 03:04 AM)T I N O Wrote: Welcome back to WildFact again, my friend.

April 28th 2024, Chela the Nkuhuma lioness was found dead by WildEarth during the sunrise drive. It’s believed she was killed by Plains Camp Males.

March 14th 2024: The  four daughters of the Avoca male from Talamati pride have been named as the Msuthu pride after the Msuthu drainage line in their territory, it also pays homage to their initial use of the Msuthu as a refuge and den site for both litters of cubs.

26th May 2024, the two Black dam males were chased off by the 2 Plains camp males

April 2024, The Tsalala lioness gave birth to cubs. Cubs are still hidden at the den site. 

24th May 2024, two young males were seen at Sabi Sabi. 
they’re sons of the Charleston males from the S65 pride 

15th May 2024, Mohawk and the Nkuhuma boys were seen on Kruger (Rhino concession)

24th May 2024, the remaining S.Avoca male was seen 1km away from the three Nkuhuma young males (Rhino  Walking Safari)

17th May 2024, the two Othawa females were sighted together after a few days of being “missing” “separated from each-other”

18th April 2024, the Nkuhuma male made a return to Western Sabi Sands with a surprise. He partnered with the Tumbela male and they have been moving together since then. On 2nd May 2024, they were sighted in Kruger and later seen back again in SS. 

23rd January 2024: The remaining Talamati breakaway lioness was named as Tiyelele which means “Resilience”

23rd May 2024: The two Talamati sub-adults were chased by the Nkuhuma pride when they were feeding on a dead giraffe carcass (No signs of Tiyelele)

17th February 2024, the Nkuhuma lioness Ridge nose was killed by the Mangheni pride

(05-28-2024, 02:52 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:

Ridge Nose killed by Mhangeni pride, likely giving time to her two subs to escape. Nkhuma Breakaway now consists of her two sub adult offsprings, doing well all things considered.

Nkuhuma main pride is in turmoil, Black Dam males more or less left the area, leaving a pride without dominant male. Chela lost her cubs and was killed weeks later likely by Plain Camp Males. Pride is in disarray, females being visited by different by different males and have mated with (no partidcular order) Kambula 4 male, Khanya (Blonde Talamati Male), Black Dam males before and newly Plain Camp Males who seems to be determined to get the pride under their control very recently. Naturally some members avoid males they are not known to be safe to be around like Black Dam Males were and the pride might be splitting a lot, nothing permanent so far. All those mentioned in this paragraph plus the rest Kambula males + sister are occasionally viewed on Djuma and/or Wild Earth. Mohawk and his 3 sons (Lip Scar was killed in Sabi Sands by other lions, uncertain which ones) are mostly gone in Kruger but returned once again about a month ago (?) and left again.

Speaking about Talamatis - the young female group settled in south under control of Gijima coalition, ony by one giving birth to their cubs - and were renamed as Msutlu(Msuthu) after a local stream I believe. The S8 group, sometimes referred to as Talamati Breakaways are now simply Talamatis agaion and are down to 3 (Tiyelele (spelling?) the adult female - named by guides, meanign is resilience and one male and one female cub/sub) for quite some time, not much info abotu them lately. The Talamati males went to Kruger, something must have happened there and only Blonde Talamati has been seen since. He returned to Sabi Sands alone and recently is mostly in the north.

Nkuhuma and Tumbela finally got together, moved south and into Kruger but recently returned back to the western sector, which makes a lot of people uneasy considering they might be danger for mini PCMs if they focus on the north and abandon their prides in the west. Tsalala is now under their (PCMs) control as well, might be giving brith to cubs any day afaik (likely already did but the cubs not seen yet afaik). The bigger PCM now has a rather nasty cut close to his right eye (from his brother, who seemed to had an upper hand in an misunderstanding regarding a lioness - bit of footage exists, not of the very ocassion most likely), the eye is safe and the wound seems superficial, but certainly he is now reasily ecognizable without seeing the tow of them next to each other and likely will be for some time like Nkuhuma male has been.

Kambula young males are still with their sister, still don't have a confidence to go for making a move, two of the males got a beating on separate occasions (in the same week or so), one though to be caught/chased by PCMs, the other by Gijimas, con't rememeber which by whom, one of them was K5 and the other K3 or K6, surprisingly not K4, who plays with the fire the most. Kambula pride - Londolozi and Mala Mala agreed on callign the main pride with younger females and 13 cubs Kambula and the breakaway of 3 females incluing K6 (adn 3 cubs so far) Ntsevu (the Kambula cubs are predominantly males and take interest in buffalo hunts already).

I think that's about it. Perhaps wirth mentioning male who stepped on Sabi Sands soil in last month - very recently two males in the south who are supposed to be Charleston Males sons and Black Dam Males were chased back to Djuma by two Mantimahle sons who control Trochwood pride and are mostl on the Kruger side of the border or spotted in northeaster Mala Mala. Nothing came from it, no shift from them to the west happened, but they are notable as impressive specimen rivaling their younger PCM brothers. Enjoy.

Thank you guys for updates!
5 users Like Mdz123's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

This situation is going to get sticky isn't it.....

8 users Like T_Ferguson's post