There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(05-05-2024, 01:37 AM)Vengeous Wrote:
(05-05-2024, 12:19 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Friarfan619 it was 2v3 and the Kambulas were already with low confidence after losing twice to the Gijimas days prior.

Regardless, Kambulas are semi-nomadic, which was my point. In terms of semi-nomadic/coalitions in the process of challenging, Gijimas won a 2v6, PCM never did anything anywhere as impressive, best feat in this regard was defeating 4 Kambulas months ago, but Gijimas defeated them way more recently.

And of course Gijimas apparently have just beat 3 fully dominant Nkhulu in Nkhulu territory ( KK ), meanwhile the only dominant coalition the PCM ever beat was Nhenha/NK who were only 2, only dominant for 1 month and with a weak bond from 6 months or so.

I for one am wondering whether there's any chance of the Nkuhuma pride reruniting, given that two are with the PCMs and the rest are with the Talamti young male.

I believe they will as the PCMs won’t always be this far East. Long term, it definitely could happen although I’d prefer a coalition to just takeover the whole pride and bring stability back to Northern Sabi Sands.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2024, 04:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-05-2024, 01:37 AM)Vengeous Wrote: Not sure why there's a recurring insistence on comparing coalitions to each other given that they've managed their territory under vastly different circumstances. I think there's a tendency to also omit important context in these comparisons (the Nkhulus being in poor physical condition for months, the PCMs defeating Kambulas when they were reeling from losing K6 etc). Definitely think the Gijimas have faced more challenges in their territory (by virtue of the fact that their territory isn't fenced off like the PCMs' is on 3 sides), but not sure why so many of these conversations deteriorate into a coalition vs coalition comparison even though there's a near-zero chance of said coalitions even interacting with each other. 

Very well said!!

If (x) beats (y), and (z) beats arguably weaker (w), then must be that (x) beats (z)  ..

But things dont work like that.

Regardless of past "feats" of those coalitions, we apsolutley have 0 idea how would they match against each other.

I see you are new member, I like your tought process, keep it going!
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2024, 05:46 AM by Mapokser )

@Vengeous this is the point of a forum, to discuss things.

If we can't discuss what we want then we might as well turn this into a news page.

Edit: to elaborate, even guides talk about "the strongest coalition", so why shouldn't us? Sure nobody is forced to join in such discussions, but they will always happen, it's something that generates interest and do no harm, so why not?

Not long ago one of the lodges in the West made a post with the PCM saying "strongest coalition in the Sabi Sands?" it's just something that naturally gets discussed.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Anyway it was said that the lioness mating with DM Gijima was a Sand River female.

Not sure if this is true.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(05-05-2024, 05:34 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Anyway it was said that the lioness mating with DM Gijima was a Sand River female.

Not sure if this is true.

Theres no other females in estrus in the south, so prob is.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

It could be a Styx sub, they were mating with one of them not long ago.

But yeah more likely a SR female.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(05-05-2024, 05:43 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It could be a Styx sub, they were mating with one of them not long ago.

But yeah more likely a SR female.

Mating with Styx sub? You sure?

Ttimemarti Offline

It’s not a Styx girl has to be a sand river female

United Kingdom Vengeous Offline

(05-05-2024, 05:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Vengeous this is the point of a forum, to discuss things.

If we can't discuss what we want then we might as well turn this into a news page.

Edit: to elaborate, even guides talk about "the strongest coalition", so why shouldn't us? Sure nobody is forced to join in such discussions, but they will always happen, it's something that generates interest and do no harm, so why not?

Not long ago one of the lodges in the West made a post with the PCM saying "strongest coalition in the Sabi Sands?" it's just something that naturally gets discussed.
I find the comparisons very much steeped in personal biases, and just think it's not helpful in general and promotes divisiveness in this community. I've just started posting but I've been lurking for a while because I generally like these discussions. I know certain individuals seem determined to engage in argument, not discourse, and it comes about mainly from coalition vs coalition comparisons (which imo is almost practically impossible to compare unless they occupy a similar or adjacent territory). 

I agree that discussing hypotheticals is usually fine, but in the last year I have already seen moments when the moderator has had to intervene to suggest an end to discussions that have become very tribalistic (again, not the fault of most people here, but certain individuals perpetuating the same discussion over lion strength again and again). 

Speaking of personal biases, I wanted to bring up something Deon Wessels said (the Head Guide of Chitwa Chitwa, IG: @deonwesselsphotography). He mentioned that he wasn't convinced it was definitely the PCM responsible for killing Chela, and that this furore over the PCMs killing Chela is allegedly driven by speculation. For the record, I do think it is the PCMs, because of the historical precedent of them killing females and because apparently it was their tracks leading away from the scene. But the fact that a guide isn't convinced by the immediate explanation and is very quick to highlight that we know VERY LITTLE of this event is really important here. It shows how quick people were to jump to (emotional) conclusions and I think this forum displayed this too, with people mentioning how much they resented or hated the PCMs within 24 hours of the news. 

I have no particular love for the PCMs, but I also joined this community because it seems relatively level-headed compared to the Facebook groups I had been a part of before this. I think it's fine to love certain lions, but it's also a little bit sad for me to see certain people here capitulate to their bias towards or against particular coalitions at the expense of a fruitful discussion. And this (to my knowledge) often arises out of coalition comparisons. By all means, you seem to enjoy these discussions so don't let me stop you, I'm merely expressing an opinion at the end of the day.
4 users Like Vengeous's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I dont mind the discussions that much. The problem is that its mostly just fanboying as accurate stats are nearly impossible to determine and just one small part of what would determine the outcome. 

It also tends to derail things. So it would help if people only dragged it up when its a slow week. And not in the middle of a active event.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2024, 11:31 PM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 it was reported as a Styx sub, but I can't know if true.

Ttimemarti Offline

(05-05-2024, 10:01 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 it was report as a Styx sub, but I can't know if true.

Don’t think it’s a Styx female I’ve looked at some photos to compare and it doesn’t look like one of them they’ve all got that wide nwaswitshaka nose and the female he is mating with doesn’t have that

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Khanya spotted today. It’s been said he was by himself yet was contact calling for members of the Nkuhuma Pride. Kambula males are also in Chitwa Chitwa. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like KM600's post

Ngonya Offline

Tumbela and Nkuhuma males roaring in  Nkhulu territory
Nkhulu brothers were roaring back

Tumbela male

Tumbela and Nkuhuma 

Roaring