There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 02:38 AM by afortich )

(03-10-2023, 02:03 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Duco Ndona this is their second friendly meeting and they have met each other multiple times before as enemies. They know each other well and obviously they aren't a coalition but with this new meeting chances are they may become one in the future.

The last encounter before this one would probably have been friendly too if Othawas weren't around which triggered NK and Ximhungwes to attack and Tumbela protect.

Agree with you my friend. Actually, who knows if Skorro Jr. is able to prevent, without fighting, NYM from attacking Ottawas in the future.
2 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 02:45 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-10-2023, 02:09 AM)afortich Wrote: Agree with you my friend. Actually, who knows if Skorro Jr. is able to prevent, without fighting, NYM from attacking Ottawas in the future.

NK young male is nomad, just like Skorro Jr. and just like Othawas.

There is no reason or gain for NK to kill Othawa girls.

Unless he is in company of Ximhungwes, who are territorial and will definetly attack Othawas, so he would join them. Thats prob only scenario where would NK attack Othawas.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-10-2023, 02:44 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 02:09 AM)afortich Wrote: Agree with you my friend. Actually, who knows if Skorro Jr. is able to prevent, without fighting, NYM from attacking Ottawas in the future.

Unless he is in company of Ximhungwes, who are territorial and will definetly attack Othawas, so he would join them. Thats prob only scenario where would NK attack Othawas.

Precisely, that's the scenario I meant to refer to above, and it could be a more even fight for the Othawas.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

They fought not that long ago. 

Other reasons he may attack them is out of sexual frustration or an argument about food  Nym would afteral not have the same emotional connection with them that Skorro has. For him they would just be another pride to subdue. 

Even if nothing happens. Those subs would probably be much more at ease without him.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@RookiePundit yeah anything can happen but as things stand right now a coalition between them would have no chance in the West and Singita, unless some other crazy twist happens and they join Talamatis too, but I doubt.

But they'd have good opportunities in the North, Imbali is a lone male, idk if they would go that far but so is Kruger male, and they could potentially compete with BDM for the NK pride and that territory after Mohawk is completely ousted.

They'd need months to build their bond though so this potential new coalition won't be a powerful force so.

@Tr1x24 NK was a nomad too when he killed the third Othawa. Nkhulus are nomads and killed the Styx sub. Nomads kill subs all the time, if anything they're competition like hyenas and leopards.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

But ngl this potential coalition is looking more and more likely.

They are nomads but it's clear that both are friends of Ximhungwes, being their previous pride males ( an odd case ) and have a strong interest in them even if they know they can't compete with PCM for the land.

So for them to be together with the females and don't show hostility shows me they have a interest in try and befriend each other. They weren't hostile when they met alone ( and that was when Nhenha was still alive ) and aren't showing hostility while being in the presence of the females they want.

Let's not forget NK is like the most experiment lion ever in terms of forming coalitions. This would be his fourth partner if you include Big Boy. Both him and Tumbela show a strong interest in having company. Sure lions are social but most males after being defeated wouldn't be returning to hang out with their previous pride or his daughters, these 2 are very social and don't want to be alone.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-10-2023, 05:13 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 NK was a nomad too when he killed the third Othawa. Nkhulus are nomads and killed the Styx sub. Nomads kill subs all the time, if anything they're competition like hyenas and leopards.

Depends on the stage of nomads, then, NK was with Nhenha and since around early 2022 and towards Nhenha demise, they where either territorial or in active competition for territory in the area.

Those males will obiviously attack any nomads they encounter, especially in company of territorial pride, Ximhungwes.

Thats diffrent from nomads males who are keeping low profile, just hanging around for food , trying to make friends here and there, like NK and Tumbela now.

Nkuhlus are big up and coming coalitions, with such numbers you dont need or have any benefits of strangers. They are also in phase and age where they are starting to explore and behave for territory contest, we seen them scent marking, they are testing water. These males are dangerous and will attack any nomads and even territorial pride which they encounter.

As i said, it depends of stage in which these nomads are and numbers they have, lone NK male, currently is low profile nomad. He will not behave agressive towards other nomads, i mean he was now seen 2 times in company of another low profile male, Tumbela.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Korea, Republic of veritas Offline

Friends!
I read the forum once again and organized my mind.
There were people who called Nkuhumale BYM, who was once a duo with Nhena.
So when I read Mhangeni Bigboy's death, I thought Bigboy was friends with Nkuhumale at the time.
Nkuhumale, in conclusion, thought it was now called BYM.
So I was surprised because I know NK who lost Nhena has lost SYM in the past too.

Because I've never seen a lion that lost three partners, I'm careful to say.

By the way, I think NK I'm talking about was friends with Mhangeni Bigboy (see the comments from the user who answered above...)

Perhaps my question is, was NK a friend of Bigboy?I was asking, but I think there was confusion because people no longer call him BYM right now.

One thing I'm curious about is, of course, the life of a lion is cruel and difficult, but NK seems to have lost a lot of partners.

I don't know if NK is just unlucky or if it's a life that wants a solo personality.

The more I follow the life of a lion, the more interesting and fascinating it is.

Not every lion wants a partner, sometimes independent, or a little traumatic? It's very impressive to think that there may be loner lions by their personality.

It is advantageous to have large numbers in the fight against the survival of lions. I think lions themselves know that, but I really want to know what kind of mind lions choose to be solo!

The other user friend said above that Skorro and NK are sociable and don't like to be alone.
Is NK like that?
Can you tell me the thread of the forum that shows NK's personality?

I felt sadly that NK had a bit of a loner personality.

NK's life is so hard, hard, and lonely.
Every lion has a hard life, but NK and Bigboy seem to me especially (somewhat lonely and sad eyes).

https://fb.watch/jaZuoldPVG/

The two Xhumungwe lionesses and the younger Bermingham male was spotted on a rainy morning, the two ladies can be seen grooming.

? FJ

https://fb.watch/jaZWb5YVpo/
ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ 

This is a video posted on Idube Game Reserve Facebook.

A Facebook user called (Nkuhumale).
In response, Idube Facebook replied, "The name was changed to Bermingham."

The Facebook user replied, "Doesn't change the fact, that he's the Nkuhuma Young Male."

It just happened 26 minutes ago.
This explains why I referred to Nkuhumale as BYM and asked if he was a friend of Bigboy.

Oh, it seems that the name has not been unified yet.

ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Yeah.. he will always be Nym to me. Unless they give him a proper name. 

Its sad how his partnership with Nhenha reduced him to just that one kid of Nhenha that betrayed him. He is so much more than that and its not even true.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@veritas once Nkuhuma joined the last Birmingham male, guides started referring to them as the Birmingham Males and Birmingham Coalition. So they would often say "older Birmingham" to refer to Nhenha and "younger" or "young" Birmingham male to refer to Nkuhuma.

Yeah, people changed the name of Nkuhumale.
It's confusing for a new lion fan.
But why didn't Nkuhumale keep a duo with Bigboy Mhangeni at the time?
I watched a video of Bigboy singing in a sad voice and I don't know why he's been alone for a long time.

It would have been nice if Nk and Bigboy made a duo and maintained it.
Do friends know NK's life at that time?

Brazil Matias Offline

(03-09-2023, 10:59 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I’d say 50% of the time they’ll have to have beaten the dominant males to get anywhere near the cubs. If invaders kill cubs the mother will try her best to fight the male/males off and the sound will likely attract the dominant male/males but it’s difficult nkhulu males killed a Styx subadult and then left blondie killed kambula cubs while trying to take over the kambula pride I don’t believe nhenha and tinyo did much after that. But all in all yes killing cubs means you’re challenging usually but sometimes different situations occur.Please correct me if I’m wrong

Nomadic males, when they invest in a group of females with young (despite the momentary absence of males from the group) is a direct aggression and is part of a strategy to weaken. It demonstrates attitude, courage and opportunity to reduce the “group spirit”. While not driving away the resident males, killing some young/puppies is a representation of a force that aims to take over the group. “Yes, among lions that are threatened and have a strong and resilient spirit, it should trigger a frantic search for revenge and discourage new attacks”. It is a direct act of war, and an attempt, little by little, and in a surprisingly rational way, of dominance to replace the resident males.

Lions seem to know when females are alone, so this attack aimed at killing cubs is well orchestrated and could also serve to have direct contact with these females. I have my thoughts that lions inhabiting Greater Kruger (notably the private reserves) have developed greater coalition needs due to the high density and large numbers of lions. All this is interesting when all these characteristics are developed in a few years, and it remains to be seen what is innate and what is learned. This “militarization” is making these lions (recalling that it was the Great Act of 1991 that opened the fences of the private reserves to the Kruger) more conditioned to develop, out of necessity, strategies and behaviors that are typical of a war situation, where survival it is fully associated with maintaining dominance over good habitats in private reserves; where all of this is being fought over by the approximately 1,800 lions that inhabit the entirety of Greater Kruger.

Lion experts agree that it's unpredictable trying to tell what a lion or pride will do under similar circumstances. The details of the circumstances develop different personalities characteristics and very distinct in each group - if Mr. T was human, he would certainly be framed as a psychopathic sadist. The pressure on males certainly favors high levels of stress and what is normal for lions in other large reserves such as Serengeti, Ruaha, Selous or Niassa, here competition makes behaviors even more difficult to try to predict. It is almost always a guesswork to announce what they will or intend to do when it comes to dominance and usurpation strategy. The fact is that dominating a pride is the social nature that moves all these movements, and it will remain so as long as the ecosystem allows the existential presence of this huge number of lions (grand coalitions).

So, I just add. There is nothing to correct.
1 user Likes Matias's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(03-10-2023, 10:27 PM)veritas Wrote: Yeah, people changed the name of Nkuhumale.
It's confusing for a new lion fan.
But why didn't Nkuhumale keep a duo with Bigboy Mhangeni at the time?
I watched a video of Bigboy singing in a sad voice and I don't know why he's been alone for a long time.

It would have been nice if Nk and Bigboy made a duo and maintained it.
Do friends know NK's life at that time?

Big Boy Mhangeni died before Nkuhuma and Styx and He left the Pride as nomads.    

Styx and Nkuhuma left together.   We’re later named THE NWALUNGU coalition by Singita which mean’s ‘from the north”.   

I discourage you from referring Nkuhuma as Young Birmingham Male.   It just complicates matters.   Consider that name temporary as it’s not really used by many.    It was just a way for some guides to distinguish him as the younger of the TWO lions they were calling ‘The Birminghams “.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 NK is a low profile nomad but highly interested in his previous pride so he's "in the game". Also we're talking about the possibility he'd join forces with Tumbela, if that were to happen there's a strong possibility they'd start roaring again even if they can't actually defeat PCM, it'd probably be similar to the previous NK-Nhenha coalition.

Then in this scenario if they were to meet Othawas, NK would very likely want to kill them.