There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

NK is always in top condition, I wonder if this is because he has a lot of experience being a nomad, a lone one too. Meanwhile Tumbela always seem to be struggling to remain fit and now he lost tons of his mane, I was afraid he had TB like his bothers but hopefully it's just the stressful life of a nomad.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-12-2023, 05:19 AM)Mapokser Wrote: NK is always in top condition, I wonder if this is because he has a lot of experience being a nomad, a lone one too. Meanwhile Tumbela always seem to be struggling to remain fit and now he lost tons of his mane, I was afraid he had TB like his bothers but hopefully it's just the stressful life of a nomad.

Yeah, I don't think Skorro Jr has TB, no signs that I have seen. I believe the recent decline in condition is the culmination of everything that has happened since he was driven from the Othawas. He's lost his brother, lost his pride, been roughed up by at least two different coalitions a couple of times, has travelled great distances alone only to keep returning to WS, has moments when he has been supported by two different prides of females (his daughters, and the Ximungwes), but spent a lot of time by himself as well. Other than NYM who has had a tremendously rough life, I feel Skorro Jr's recent trials have been some of the hardest in Sabi Sands recently.
6 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

If he had TB, It had every opportunity to show itself. With some luck he is immune. 

Both males look occasionally pretty beaten I think. But that's just part of their lives.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

Throwback to the 2 KNP males, Freddy and Limper:

I had never seen this footage before, I always thought Freddy was a big male, but man Limper looked much larger despite his limp! I heard they sired the 2 Charleston males, if so I can see where they got their good genes.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(03-12-2023, 08:00 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Throwback to the 2 KNP males, Freddy and Limper:

I had never seen this footage before, I always thought Freddy was a big male, but man Limper looked much larger despite his limp! I heard they sired the 2 Charleston males, if so I can see where they got their good genes.

If these are the two males makhulu and pretty boy fought can someone answer how did the last 2 mapogos lose that fight when one of these two Kruger males died due to the injuries from the fight?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-12-2023, 08:21 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 08:00 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Throwback to the 2 KNP males, Freddy and Limper:

If these are the two males makhulu and pretty boy fought can someone answer how did the last 2 mapogos lose that fight when one of these two Kruger males died due to the injuries from the fight?

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lion-tales?page=4
3 users Like Potato's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-12-2023, 11:52 AM)Potato Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 08:21 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lion-tales?page=4

Good data describing the KNP vs Mapogos fight.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 12:02 AM by afortich )

I think I read, but correct me if I'm wrong, that Makhulu killed at least a lion in a 1vs1 fight. Something similar may have happened to Limper (KNP)
1 user Likes afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 12:41 AM by BA0701 )

(03-13-2023, 12:02 AM)afortich Wrote: I think I read, but correct me if I'm wrong, that Makhulu killed at least a lion in a 1vs1 fight. Something similar may have happened to Limper (KNP)

Limper is the Kruger Male believed to have been tracked down and killed by Mak, from my understanding of things, though no witnesses were around to document exactly what took place.

I should add, there has also been some speculation the Majins might have killed Limper, or some unknown group of lions, since it is not known for certain what happened with him.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@afortich Makhulu never killed any adult male lion 1v1 that we know of. His only fight 1v1 against an enemy was vs Gwarri Bush Male Nhlanguleni. 

Although Nhlanguleni left the fight in horrible condition he managed to survive and return to the Othawa Pride and was later killed by the 6 Mapogos.

As for Limper, it's a long read in the link Potato gave. IMO from all those reports there's no evidence Makhulu killed him, nor would it make sense for this to have happened as the prime KNP were dominating the clashes quite comfortably and if Mapogos were fighting for territory and Makhulu knew he injured Limper then they would have taken over against Freddy 2v1, when in reality they left defeated.

But who knows truth is we don't know what happened to Limper.

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 01:09 AM by afortich )

(03-13-2023, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @afortich Makhulu never killed any adult male lion 1v1 that we know of. His only fight 1v1 against an enemy was vs Gwarri Bush Male Nhlanguleni. 

Although Nhlanguleni left the fight in horrible condition he managed to survive and return to the Othawa Pride and was later killed by the 6 Mapogos.

As for Limper, it's a long read in the link Potato gave. IMO from all those reports there's no evidence Makhulu killed him, nor would it make sense for this to have happened as the prime KNP were dominating the clashes quite comfortably and if Mapogos were fighting for territory and Makhulu knew he injured Limper then they would have taken over against Freddy 2v1, when in reality they left defeated.

But who knows truth is we don't know what happened to Limper.

Yeah, I know there is no evidence supporting that is why I said "maybe" but I don't think that's the only information available.
And something making sense relates to being reasonable, therefore, I would not always trust what makes sense when it comes to animals' behaviors and interactions.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 01:09 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-13-2023, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Although Nhlanguleni left the fight in horrible condition he managed to survive and return to the Othawa Pride and was later killed by the 6 Mapogos.

Not correct.

Nhlanguleni survived and left Sabi Sand, next year he was seen at northern Manyeleti.

Nhlanguleni was not Maopogos victim.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Tr1x24 

Huh weird because there's this report here on WF:

Tribute to the Sabi Sand Game Reserve

The Mapogo male lion coalition moved into the Western sector about 4 years ago and changed lion viewing in the Sabi Sands forever.
They have killed and eaten rival male lions that only the paws were left, caught young hippo’s and a rhino calf and fought between each other that after the battle they couldn‘t walk due to the cuts and scars.
But it was the first morning that we ever saw them that stood out above all the other sightings. Paddy Hagelthorn from Savanna and I were watching the 6 males standing on the southern bank of the Sand River roaring so loud that our vehicles were shaking. In the distance we could hear the territorial male at that time, a rogue male with the name Gwarri Bush, running down to the river roaring back at the intruders. As he came crashing through the riverine forest he saw the 6 males standing on the opposite bank, he turn around and disappeared as quickly as he arrived. That night the coalition crossed the river, killed the territorial male and proclaimed the Western Sector of the Sabi Sands as their own."

Written by Marius Coetzee

Apparently this was the original source though now it's down: http://www.seasonsinafrica.com/lodges-in...e-reserve/
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(03-13-2023, 02:05 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 

Huh weird because there's this report here on WF:

Tribute to the Sabi Sand Game Reserve

The Mapogo male lion coalition moved into the Western sector about 4 years ago and changed lion viewing in the Sabi Sands forever.
They have killed and eaten rival male lions that only the paws were left, caught young hippo’s and a rhino calf and fought between each other that after the battle they couldn‘t walk due to the cuts and scars.
But it was the first morning that we ever saw them that stood out above all the other sightings. Paddy Hagelthorn from Savanna and I were watching the 6 males standing on the southern bank of the Sand River roaring so loud that our vehicles were shaking. In the distance we could hear the territorial male at that time, a rogue male with the name Gwarri Bush, running down to the river roaring back at the intruders. As he came crashing through the riverine forest he saw the 6 males standing on the opposite bank, he turn around and disappeared as quickly as he arrived. That night the coalition crossed the river, killed the territorial male and proclaimed the Western Sector of the Sabi Sands as their own."

Written by Marius Coetzee

Apparently this was the original source though now it's down: http://www.seasonsinafrica.com/lodges-in...e-reserve/

The new information is based on these comments made by Rob on his youtube channel, he was employed in the west at the time 

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Tonpa's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

Interesting. It's a bit weird that sometimes we have these conflicting informations. Like WildEarth claimed 5 Eyrefield Mapogos killed Makhulu's Othawa cubs in 2007, but Rob claims they were Nhlanguleni's, and then this too.
4 users Like Mapokser's post