There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Lion - 120 sightings January 2023

The lions of Arathusa were out and about this month, with over 120 sightings of lions in total!
  • The Torchwood Pride were seen 17 times, mostly around an elephant carcass that they were feeding on. This large elephant bull was killed while fighting with another bull elephant, and while lions do not usually scavenge, this fresh carcass was too good to pass up on.
  • The Nkuhuma Pride have made a few successful buffalo kills, with our guides seeing them on at least 5 buffalo carcasses.
  • Talamati Pride – 25 sightings and the S8 Male – 18 sightings .We’ve had some great views of the Talamati pride, which is a family of 3 females, 5 cubs and the S8 male. While we haven’t seen them with many kills, they have been very social and our guests have enjoyed over 20 sightings of them.  
  • Avoca Male – 13 sightings
  • Kruger male – 9 sightings
  • Imbali Pride – 7 sightings
  • Black Dam males – 15 sightings
As we saw in December, the two Black Dam males have been making advances towards the Nkuhuma females and cubs. Mowhawk has been seen actively chasing the males away, and sometimes even distracting them and luring them away from the young cubs.
The tensions between Mowawk and the Black Dam males continue as they tussle for influence and control in the Sabi Sands area.

https://www.arathusa.co.za/2023/02/21/ja...-a-glance/
7 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 05:07 AM by Tonpa )

Some lions showed up at Nkorho, 11 cubs with 1 lioness. No clue who they are or where they came from, they paced back and forth around the waterhole looking worried. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 06:27 AM by Mapokser )

@book1206 damn what the hell, I hope she heals fast and well. It looks ugly but hopefully it's only a superficial wound.

Edit: I hope the Kambula who is with her brothers joins her distant Tsalala cousin if she can't rejoin the main pride or even the Breakaway pride.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tonpa now this surprises me, I never thought Mohawk would chase the BDM after getting dominated by them in their first encounters. Maybe he was feeling down since his brother died but now is regaining his confidence. But regardless, what an amazing job he is doing, even luring the males away from the cubs, impressive.

A work of a great, brave, and smart king.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-25-2023, 06:34 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tonpa now this surprises me, I never thought Mohawk would chase the BDM after getting dominated by them in their first encounters. Maybe he was feeling down since his brother died but now is regaining his confidence. But regardless, what an amazing job he is doing, even luring the males away from the cubs, impressive.

A work of a great, brave, and smart king.

It says that was in December, when BDM's where still quite new here, after that, and now, things have changed in BDM's favor.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Korea, Republic of veritas Offline

Thank you to all users with great knowledge.
I started reading from page 1 of this forum to learn about history.
I just finished reading all the forums, and it took me three days (hehe)
Do you know the location of Princess Chalala?
Too bad she can't join another lioness like ximungwe.
I'd rather she join ximungwe but is it impossible? It's so sad...
I check news of othawa, Tumbella, Redroad, NK and Nhenha dozens of times a day and I'm always anxious that they'll go wrong...

(I use English as a translator, so sometimes my meaning can be misrepresented.I'm so sorry)
3 users Like veritas's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-25-2023, 05:06 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Some lions showed up at Nkorho, 11 cubs with 1 lioness. No clue who they are or where they came from, they paced back and forth around the waterhole looking worried. 

Prob some members of Torchwood pride.

That group of Torchwoods we see occasionaly in SS with Kruger male only has few adult females and few subs , around 10 members or so.

Torchwood pride in 2020/21,had 13/14 adult females only .

Very likely they split at this point, maybe even in multiple groups, east in Kruger.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Sand River Pride

12 users Like Tonpa's post

BigLion39 Offline

That young boy has that classic "Avoca" look! Gorgeous lions!
5 users Like BigLion39's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2023, 03:40 AM by Mapokser )

I heard ( keyword heard ) that facebook ( keyword again facebook ) is reporting a lot of intense stuff in the Western Sector. Can anyone verify any of this? All of this supposedly happened yesterday and today.

- NK back and with Ximhungwes;
- Talamati males roaring;
- Talamati's sisters some kms away from their brothers;
- Manghenis around there in the West too;
- One unknown male roaring;
- PCM roaring back;
- Othawas made an adult male nyala kill and were seen with full bellies ( was told there's footage of this );
- Apparently all of these lions minus PCM got in some sort of clash over the Othawa's kill with lots of roaring. It was thought everybody escaped unscathered, but no confirmation of anything;
- Skorro Jr wasn't seen.
6 users Like Mapokser's post

Mwk85 Offline

(02-28-2023, 03:38 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I heard ( keyword heard ) that facebook ( keyword again facebook ) is reporting a lot of intense stuff in the Western Sector. Can anyone verify any of this? All of this supposedly happened yesterday and today.

- PCM roaring back;
- Othawas made an adult male nyala kill and were seen with full bellies ( was told there's footage of this );
- Apparently all of these lions minus PCM got in some sort of clash over the Othawa's kill with lots of roaring. It was thought everybody escaped unscathered, but no confirmation of anything;
- Skorro Jr wasn't seen.

Saw this a few minutes ago. Looked around for more information but wasn't able to find anything else at the moment.

5 users Like Mwk85's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(02-28-2023, 06:15 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 03:38 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I heard ( keyword heard ) that facebook ( keyword again facebook ) is reporting a lot of intense stuff in the Western Sector. Can anyone verify any of this? All of this supposedly happened yesterday and today.

- PCM roaring back;
- Skorro Jr wasn't seen.

Saw this a few minutes ago. Looked around for more information but wasn't able to find anything else at the moment.

Honestly Othawas can't do any fighting, if they got caught in any of this they are done. Hopefully they escaped unharmed. But could NK and Ximhungwes have fought the 2 Talamati males? This would be a more fair fight.

Anyway now we wait to see if this is legit and if it is, the status of all lions involved.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I agree. If they caught one of the Othawas, that would be the end of her. With some luck they were more after the food. 

Western sector is having a lot of groups right now due to the power vaccuum in the deep west. So a lot of the roaring is probably groups reacting to eachother with no real involvement for various purposes.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Mwk85 Offline

Latest information I was able to find in regards to the reported encounter. Still no definitive answer as to what exactly took place, though. On a potentially unrelated note, I saw that the Mangheni Pride was seen at Savanna as well. 

5 users Like Mwk85's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(02-28-2023, 08:13 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Latest information I was able to find in regards to the reported encounter. Still no definitive answer as to what exactly took place, though. On a potentially unrelated note, I saw that the Mangheni Pride was seen at Savanna as well. 

Great news! if Skorro Jr. came to help, it proves that these young ladies owe him a portion of their survival.
3 users Like afortich's post