There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-10-2022, 06:06 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 06:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 05:47 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The Gijima males were seen with the Southern pride lioness and her two daughters.
Photo credit: Isabella Chams Vega

*This image is copyright of its original author

While this is rather odd, I do hope it remains like this.

I couldn't be more agree with you. Let's hope the Gijima males accept the Southern young females and sire cubs with this pride. Of course, it's too early to tell what will happens. But so far, the Gijima boys showed of what they're made off. As far I know, they mauled to one of the Ndhzenga males awhile time ago.

They did indeed, Ubuso is still recovering from that, and the Gijima males lost their third brother as a result.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(08-10-2022, 06:09 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 05:47 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The Gijima males were seen with the Southern pride lioness and her two daughters.

I couldn't be more agree with you. Let's hope the Gijima males accept the Southern young females and sire cubs with this pride. Of course, it's too early to tell what will happens. But so far, the Gijima boys showed of what they're made off. As far I know, they mauled to one of the Ndhzenga males awhile time ago.

They did indeed, Ubuso is still recovering from that, and the Gijima males lost their third brother as a result.

Wow! I wasn't aware they had a third brother. The Gijima draw the first blood, but in consecuence they lost a member. Thank you for the update, my friend
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

The one and only! The S8/Imbali male lion on a stroll as he watches the Talamati breakaway cubs playing with his moms
Photo credit: James Parsons

9 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

Talamati females and their cubs
6 users Like Timbavati's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-10-2022, 06:11 AM)Timbavati Wrote:

Wow! I wasn't aware they had a third brother. The Gijima draw the first blood, but in consecuence they lost a member. Thank you for the update, my friend

Video of the incident, you can see the third male at 2:39. His brothers were chased off by the other N'was, and this young male was left behind. He lingered near Ubuso for a bit, who was in no condition to do anything about it in that moment. As far as I know, this young male was not seen after, possibly caught by the other N'was.

4 users Like BA0701's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-10-2022, 07:29 AM by criollo2mil )

(08-10-2022, 07:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Video of the incident, you can see the third male at 2:39. His brothers were chased off by the other N'was, and this young male was left behind. He lingered near Ubuso for a bit, who was in no condition to do anything about it in that moment. As far as I know, this young male was not seen after, possibly caught by the other N'was.

Guys.  @Timbavati @BA0701   In my opinion, this boy that stayed back with Uboso defiantly is actually 1/2 remaining Gijimas (smaller maned).   

I’m not very good with IDs but I had this theory for a while and shared images and captions of the incident and my friends believe he isn’t the one that disappeared.   It is more likely it’s one of those chased by Amahle and OE who more than likely caught him..
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-10-2022, 07:41 AM by BA0701 )

(08-10-2022, 07:28 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Guys.  @Timbavati @BA0701   In my opinion, this boy that stayed back with Uboso defiantly is actually 1/2 remaining Gijimas (smaller maned).   

I’m not very good with IDs but I had this theory for a while and shared images and captions of the incident and my friends believe he isn’t the one that disappeared.   It is more likely it’s one of those chased by Amahle and OE who more than likely caught him..

My friend, you very well might be right. I too am not so good at ID'ing many of these cats, especially the ones we are just beginning to learn about. Your hypothesis certainly seems very possible.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(08-10-2022, 07:28 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Could be perfectly, my friend. I have been out from all social medias, and out of lions dynamics. Therefore, you're much better updated than me, and maybe you're as well right
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-10-2022, 07:28 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Guys.  @Timbavati @BA0701   In my opinion, this boy that stayed back with Uboso defiantly is actually 1/2 remaining Gijimas (smaller maned).   

This is actually theory i never taught off. 

Also could be only way we can explain why 3rd male was never seen again, 3rd and light maned males where very similar in appearence. 

Amahle and OE chasing oldest and 3rd male, while light maned male stayed with Ubuso, Ndhzengas catching 3rd male, and then oldest and light maned reunited south. 

Will try to compare screenshots and photos later on.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-10-2022, 06:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote: While this is rather odd, I do hope it remains like this.

Fact that their mother is back in estrus, and mating with them, is prob main reason that they dont act agressive towards sub females, other is that they are young and inexperienced males, they are their first pride.

This is not that unusual when it comes to young males with their first pride, in 2018, N. Avocas accepted all the subs in Nkuhuma pride sired by Bboys, subs where around the same age as these 2 females, and theres other similar examples.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

To be honest, I think the whole male cubkilling thing is more based on learned pragmatism than an actual instinct or anything like that to bring the lionesses into esterus. 

They are only a small group so food likely isnt much of an issue and the subadults are female so they are more potential mating oportunities than direct rivals.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(08-10-2022, 02:01 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 07:28 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Guys.  @Timbavati @BA0701   In my opinion, this boy that stayed back with Uboso defiantly is actually 1/2 remaining Gijimas (smaller maned).   

This is actually theory i never taught off. 

Also could be only way we can explain why 3rd male was never seen again, 3rd and light maned males where very similar in appearence. 

Amahle and OE chasing oldest and 3rd male, while light maned male stayed with Ubuso, Ndhzengas catching 3rd male, and then oldest and light maned reunited south. 

Will try to compare screenshots and photos later on.

Please do that. The disappearance of the 3rd male remains a big mystery. A few days after that 2 on 2 chase, I thought I saw a photo right here on the forum of a solitary Gijima male feeding on a carcass. I was thinking that was the missing male which would soon reunite with the other 2. I couldn’t locate that photo again.

Now, on this theory of one getting caught in that chase, I thought about it too. But Rangers were following that chase so closely, thought we would have known more if one was caught out.
3 users Like Horizon's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Tracks for a pride of lion were found close to Earth Lodge. When following up it was discovered that there were tracks male lions with the pride. The tracks eventually led to us finding the two Gijima males with the Southern Pride.

It was only a matter of time before these males and the Southern Pride met up. There have been many predictions as to what may happen when the two new males come into contact with the young females. The adult female has done a good job of keeping the males away from her two daughters. Many thought the new males would not accept the still very young females and they might kill them. For now, it seems the Gijima males have accepted the Southern Pride and who knows, these may be the two males that really bring the Southern Pride back to its former glory! The two young males are almost at an age where they could start reproducing and the adult female is now certainly ready for new cubs. Exciting times ahead for the Southern Pride.
Photo credit: Jason Street

11 users Like Timbavati's post

Russian Federation Bellateda Offline
Banned

[quote pid='174404' dateline='1660128101']
(08-10-2022, 06:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote: While this is rather odd, I do hope it remains like this.

Fact that their mother is back in estrus, and mating with them, is prob main reason that they dont act agressive towards sub females, other is that they are young and inexperienced males, they are their first pride.

This is not that unusual when it comes to young males with their first pride, in 2018, N. Avocas accepted all the subs in Nkuhuma pride sired by Bboys, subs where around the same age as these 2 females, and theres other similar examples.
[/quote]

Well, yes, but these subs are only 2 years old. Won't get fertile for another year. When their mother is pregnant, these young males won't have anyone to mate with and I'd afraid they either get aggressive or leave in search for other females.
5 users Like Bellateda's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-10-2022, 09:25 PM by Tr1x24 )

Ok guys, i finally solve part of the mystery about Gijima - Ndhzenga clash.

So, male on the video next to Wide-Nose, who was assumed to be 3rd, missing Gijima, is actually Light Maned male who is still alive and with older Gijima as @criollo2mil suggested, but not only that, he is the same one who initially attacked Gore with older one. 

So these pictures are all the same male, Light Maned Gijima male :

Now, for male who is missing, we actually dont have any photo of him since they came in Sabi Sands, only this sighting :

Has smallest and lightest mohawk mane of the 3, also has scars on his back spine. 

This male didn't initially engage on Gore as 2 "current" Gijima did, but if i remember correctly, rangers saw him with them (before or after, cant remember).

Also, in the Ndhzenga clash, rangers also pointed out that there where 3 males there.

Then i rewatched the video of 2 Gijima males getting chased by Amahle and OE in Londolozi, that 2nd Gijima male, although hard to say 100%, because of low quality, but based of appearence, mane, no scar on backs, looks to be the same male near Wide-Nose, Light Maned Gijima male. 

This means that on MalaMala videos, Light Maned male is both with Wide-Nose and getting chased with Dark Maned male, eventualy they together got chased to Lion Sands. 

MalaMala rangers dont have the full story, they even said that themselves. 

So what actually happened to 3rd male? 

2 most likely scenarios:

1. He got killed/injured before the "chase", when Ndhzengas came in to rescue Wide-Nose. 

2. He just abandon/left the area when things got crazy. 

With 2nd scenario, a lot of people asking why then he didn’t return south and try to find his brothers, well yea, thats hard to explain, but then again, we know nothing about these 3, so many questions, are they even brothers? Maybe that male just recently joined them and bond was weak, maybe he was  unhealthy (he look quite skinny on that Kruger video), maybe injured, no photo of him -  looks to be skittish, notice that he didn’t engage on Gore in first encounter, maybe doesn’t feel confident enough. 
As we see, a lot of question.

In my opinion, i think its very likely scenario that 3rd male was not their brother, and that coalition was not established yet, and that 3rd male just left them and went back into Kruger.
12 users Like Tr1x24's post