There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Hairy tummy Offline

The pc boys put on size everytime i see them,lookin like tanks
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-13-2022, 06:30 PM)Salman B.A.M Wrote: They have this ruthlessness that I have not seen in a coalition of 2 at such a young age. 
One could see similarities to the Charleston brothers.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2022, 01:53 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-13-2022, 06:37 PM)BA0701 Wrote: My friend, there is not yet an exclusive thread for the PC boys, as they have yet to take over a pride, and settle in somewhere. We will, of course, revisit this once and if they do. I personally believe it is only a matter of time.

They are dominant in Singita for ~ half a year now, and have 2 Nkuhuma breakaway's and cubs.

They are definitely here to stay, so thread soon might be a good idea, as we have about every coalition in Sabi Sands.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-13-2022, 06:30 PM)Salman B.A.M Wrote: I believe they had a 3rd brother (similar age), and their father dropped him off in SS too, does anyone know that boys status?

They dont have 3rd brother. 

You prob mean about Mantimahle son, he is with 5th Mantimahle east of Sabi Sands. He comes from different pride, Mantimahle pride.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I still think we need to reorganize the board first. It makes very little sense to give coalitions each their own thread while prides, which are far more important are all lumped in Lions of X threads. Either keep everything in one thread, or give everyone their own thread.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Yeah, definitely one of the unfortunate things about this forum and the lion following community in general. A Male lion fight club mentality
9 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2022, 03:19 AM by Tr1x24 )

3 young males at Transport Dam, 1 more mature male with darker mane, but very young as we can see he has mohawk still, and 2 light maned males, guys, what are the odds that this is Junior and 2 mini Matimbas (not best quality unfortunately) :

https://fb.watch/c_yHAd1xa7/

Junior?

*This image is copyright of its original author

This young male has very dark mane, which also might point out towards Junior as he already had quite darkish mane in Sabi Sands lately, also his father is Dark Mane so thats expected,and tbf, he kinda looks like Junior from the distance. 

Ofc we cant see if thats really them from this footage, but now we know that we need to look for these 3 in future to maybe find some better pictures, videos of them to see if its really Junior and bros.

Better have some "clue" then nothing.
8 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(05-14-2022, 01:45 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-13-2022, 06:37 PM)BA0701 Wrote: My friend, there is not yet an exclusive thread for the PC boys, as they have yet to take over a pride, and settle in somewhere. We will, of course, revisit this once and if they do. I personally believe it is only a matter of time.

They are dominant in Singita for ~ half a year now, and have 2 Nkuhuma breakaway's and cubs.

They are definitely here to stay, so thread soon might be a good idea, as we have about every coalition in Sabi Sands.

I knew they were supposed to have cubs with a couple of the Nkuhuma lionesses, but was unaware that they were dominant over a particular area that they can call their own. That being the case, then certainly we can give them their own thread, which will make following along with them much easier for everyone.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

Id say its just another case of false hope. 

Last reports suggest that coalition is down to two or even one lion. So its not a good fit and other than that there really isnt any other reason to assume its them. Its not rare to have a coalition of such composition.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-14-2022, 04:14 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Id say its just another case of false hope. 

Last reports suggest that coalition is down to two or even one lion. So its not a good fit and other than that there really isnt any other reason to assume its them. Its not rare to have a coalition of such composition.

Last report was Junior and 1 Matimba together near Phabeni, there was never a report that they are down to 1 lol. And 1 missing from Sabi Sands (which doesnt mean he is 100% dead as his body was never found). We dont have confirmation that neither of them is dead. 

Its not that rare, but regardless, Othawas have that composition, so that the match, and they are in the same part of Kruger where they where last seen almost 1 year ago, so its not impossible that thats them, lions showed up many times in Kruger for which we taught that they are 100% dead.

They might not be them, but until we have better sightings of them, we cant rule that they are not, atleast we can hope they are.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States Mohawk Offline

(10-19-2021, 03:01 PM)Thierry Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 02:24 AM)Mohawk Wrote: Bibi Tsalala, the Original Tailless Tsalala Lioness, is the prime example of why that sort of thinking is a mistake.  Her genes are some of the most dominant in the Sabi Sands.  She was the only survivor of the Ximhungwe Breakaway and raised two cubs that eventually spawned a breakaway that spawned a breakaway that seems to be in the process of spawning another breakaway.  Even if Bibi's father (whoever he was) sired no other offspring at all, his bloodline is still one of the most dominant in the Sabi Sands thanks to his daughter.

We must beware of paradoxes, smile ...
Here it is a question of the genetic transmission by the maternal lineage, but only from the point of view of the presumed paternal inheritance, the whole, in the will to put in perspective the importance of the maternal line in the perpetuation of the genetic inheritance ...
After a good start, we come to the opposite conclusion, the strength of Bibi's father's blood line, of what what was supposed to be demonstrated.
It's a bit like the dog biting its tail.
I understand, of course, what you meant, but I wanted to point out, that it is difficult not to give in to certain reflexes.

It is difficult to determine the main generator in a bloodline, or to attribute such or such apparently hereditary characteristic to the maternal or paternal line with certainty. This is all the less so as the monitoring of populations is not absolutely possible.
We then tend to focus on physical appearances, which very often, when they are really detectable and distinctive, seem to emerge from the paternal genetic heritage, according to the latest studies in the field (to be taken with a grain of salt, both scientific advances tend to contradict each other as they evolve).
Our considerations in this regard can therefore only be subject to caution and necessarily arbitrary.

For those of us who enjoy following the bloodlines, I think it would be easier to do so through the mothers while noting the potential fathers when they are known.  We shouldn't separate the two was my main point.  I guess I didn't do well enough conveying that.  Either way, it's just my personal opinion.

I haven't been regularly visiting the site since last year.  I see a lot has happened since then.  Very interesting times in the Sabi Sands.
2 users Like Mohawk's post

Contributor

After the last report there was some debate wheter or not Jr was alone or not and the odds of the third brother being alive and having joined up again is quite low.

With this much doubt that the coalition is still intact and seeing  we havent had a solid update for nearly a year now. There just isnt enough reason to suspect its them yet.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

WildRev Offline

PC males should have their own thread
5 users Like WildRev's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

Like this we never gonna know whether junior and mini matimbas are alive or even identify them even if we found them. Does anyone know about any physical uniqueness of those 3 boys so that it will be easy to identify them. 
The only thing I know was junior was far more big and have much more mane than currently 3 yrs old talamatis/ kambula triplets. 
Basically he has/ had all the characteristics of his elder brother nguvu/othawa king

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Some interesting news from MalaMala in their monthly report. They report seeing both Kruger males alive.

"The most exciting sighting of members of this pride took place in the Split Rock Donga on the 23rd. Two adult females and two sub-adult males had an altercation with two KNP males. It is unclear what caused the fight, but it is likely that sub-adult males are becoming threatening and need to explore their independence."

https://malamala.com/game-reports
2 users Like Tonpa's post