There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

I think Dark Mane is under estimated a bit. He moves slowly most of the time  but seems to move well when needed. There's a recent Instagram post about him killing an impala by himself.
4 users Like 1999gc8's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 01:40 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-22-2021, 05:27 AM)Gijima Wrote: Interesting.. now I’m curious if he was the one trying to approach the Talamati Pride. He seems around 3.5/4 years old… but maybe underdeveloped?

Yea it might be him also who was trying to approach Talamatis, it looks like this guy was ousted from a pride in late 2020 at very young age and he is trying to connect with every lion he sees.

I dont think he is that old, he still doesn't have any black patches on his nose, its completely pink, so he is prob around 2.5 - 3 yrs range, in fact he was mistaken by Talamati young males because of his size/age similarity.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-22-2021, 11:28 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: I think Dark Mane is under estimated a bit. He moves slowly most of the time  but seems to move well when needed. There's a recent Instagram post about him killing an impala by himself.

Biggest problem is that he is a lone male and all lone males are vulnerable if 2 or more males came in an challenge him, on top of that he has that limp.
I agree, some rangers overexaggerate fact that he is limping and because of that they say he will lose territory soon, when in fact even healthy male cant do much if he is outnumbered, so fact that he is limping doesnt mean much in that scenario.. 

Nobody is talking anything about limping Blondie or underestimate him, because he has brother Mohawk with him, thats how it is.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Had the talamatis this morning on Djuma, no sign of a fourth Sub-adult male and the three boys seemingly had all their eyes 
3 (one being silver eye) others were here too but got up before the rest and left, so 10 total on djuma today

*This image is copyright of its original author

Tristan also mentioned two talamati females were in Buffelshoek with the S8 male, he didn't mention cubs but presumably it's the two females who have given birth.
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

(07-22-2021, 01:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Had the talamatis this morning on Djuma, no sign of a fourth Sub-adult male and the three boys seemingly had all their eyes 
3 (one being silver eye) others were here too but got up before the rest and left, so 10 total on djuma today

Tristan also mentioned two talamati females were in Buffelshoek with the S8 male, he didn't mention cubs but presumably it's the two females who have given birth.

Are there actually photos of these s8 male sightings? For months and months we’ve been hearing second hand reports but I don’t think I’ve seen any actual photos or videos of these interactions except something in March? Just saying… it’s a bit weird. Plus this area is not the best with IDs so it would be good to see the actual sighting.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 02:11 PM by Gijima )

(07-22-2021, 12:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 05:27 AM)Gijima Wrote: Interesting.. now I’m curious if he was the one trying to approach the Talamati Pride. He seems around 3.5/4 years old… but maybe underdeveloped?

Yea it might be him also who was trying to approach Talamatis, it looks like this guy was ousted from a pride in late 2020 at very young age and he is trying to connect with every lion he sees.

I dont think he is that old, he still doesn't have any black patches on his nose, its completely pink, so he is prob around 2.5 - 3 yrs range, in fact he was mistaken by Talamati young males because of his size/age similarity.

What do you think of this male at 4:36? Looks to be the same male:

They were spotted in Oct 2020 in Manyeleti but it looks like he got separated or his siblings didn’t make it.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-22-2021, 02:08 PM)Gijima Wrote: Are there actually photos of these s8 male sightings? For months and months we’ve been hearing second hand reports but I don’t think I’ve seen any actual photos or videos of these interactions except something in March? Just saying… it’s a bit weird. Plus this area is not the best with IDs so it would be good to see the actual sighting.

We had that sighting in April mentioned here , but after that nothing but the rangers words

You think it's possibly someone else?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

RookiePundit Offline

Maybe the split won't be generational then, if there would be any clear cut split, entirely possible the pride would just get fragemented somewhat like Torchwoods and wander around based on with which males they did not mate recently.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Gijima Offline

(07-22-2021, 02:15 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 02:08 PM)Gijima Wrote: Are there actually photos of these s8 male sightings? For months and months we’ve been hearing second hand reports but I don’t think I’ve seen any actual photos or videos of these interactions except something in March? Just saying… it’s a bit weird. Plus this area is not the best with IDs so it would be good to see the actual sighting.

We had that sighting in April mentioned here , but after that nothing but the rangers words

You think it's possibly someone else?

No it could be him but it would be nice to see these sightings with the Talamatis. He has been seen all over the north but never with the Talamatis except possibly that one time where the rest of the pride made a run for it (we talked about that here before).

That’s odd to me… where are these reported Talamati sightings? The pride has 3-4 members off doing their own thing for a while but it was always a mother and subs (including a male) which means they were just split for easier hunts. The rest we always saw. Now we don’t see clipped ear lioness because she gave birth and her tag-along friend but that makes sense too. Also I’m almost 90% certain only one lioness gave birth. The other one was nowhere pregnant looking. So just little details like that…. It easier for me to understand lion dynamics when I have videos and photos because I honestly just don’t think the guides in this area know the Talamatis that well.
3 users Like Gijima's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Southern Pride female and her two cubs, 22 July 2021. These cubs must be around 11 to 12 months old by now. 

7 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Any idea how many coalitions in sabi since 2000 have given the name "Kruger males" ?
2 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(07-22-2021, 02:12 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 05:33 PM)lionuk Wrote: @Tonpa Have you heard anything new regarding that unknown subadult male who kept following the Talamati subadult males yesterday?

Forgot to update this, no news on the Talamatis and the new sub-adult as they've gone back into the Manyeleti

Thanks for the update. I see from one of your posts today that unknown sub-adult wasn't seen with the Talamatis earlier in the morning in Sabi Sands. Hopefully he is alright though. 
Anyway, I've been trying to find the latest news regarding that injured Nk subadult male and nothing...
3 users Like lionuk's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-22-2021, 08:44 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Any idea how many coalitions in sabi since 2000 have given the name "Kruger males" ?

I know only of Freddy and Limper and recently 2 males with Fourways/Torchwoods.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

LegendSafaris mentioned on their whatsapp group that they bumped into One bboy, one Kambula and the cubs. Three cubs were sighted
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-22-2021, 10:55 PM)Tonpa Wrote: LegendSafaris mentioned on their whatsapp group that they bumped into One bboy, one Kambula and the cubs. Three cubs were sighted

Tinyo was seen today with some Kambulas and cubs on MalaMala stream :

8 users Like Tr1x24's post