There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

lionuk Offline
Contributor

@Tonpa Have you heard anything new regarding that unknown subadult male who kept following the Talamati subadult males yesterday?
1 user Likes lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-21-2021, 05:33 PM)lionuk Wrote: @Tonpa Have you heard anything new regarding that unknown subadult male who kept following the Talamati subadult males yesterday?

Nothing from Tristan sadly, Talamatis are either still up in Buffelshoek or they've gone into Manyeleti. 

I'll ask in 20 mins when the sunset stream starts
7 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Talamati pride attempting to take down a Rhino for nearly 2 hours earlier this week. Eventually the lions admitted defeat and the rhino moved off.
Photo credits: C. Plains

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like lionuk's post

Venezuela titose Offline

The two Plains Camp young males at Londolozi, Sabi Sands.
July 15th 
#Londolozi #SabiSands
By theLeadwood.com

8 users Like titose's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-21-2021, 05:33 PM)lionuk Wrote: @Tonpa Have you heard anything new regarding that unknown subadult male who kept following the Talamati subadult males yesterday?

Forgot to update this, no news on the Talamatis and the new sub-adult as they've gone back into the Manyeleti
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Tristan talked about that Rhino incident a few days ago and mentioned one of the sub-adults was almost killed, the rhino pinned the lion up against that muddy bank behind them and the lion quickly managed to wriggle out and escape before the horn was swung
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

@Tonpa Responding to your question from the Tumbela thread here since he may not be a missing Nharu male.

I honestly don’t remember where I took these screenshots from. It could be Lauren’s photos but if it’s from Facebook I won’t be able to track it down again since I don’t do lion groups on FB anymore. 

Here is another pic:

One with DM (if he’s the same one that’s with the Imbali Male this is one ballsy young lion to approach two adult males like this):

Then the young male, possibly the same one, by the gowrie fence a few weeks later:

6 users Like Gijima's post

RookiePundit Offline

Maybe he was aware of Dark Mane having the limp, so liked his chances because of that. Anyway, interesting, the Manyleti - Sabi Sands border region is shpaing to be quite unpredictable in foreseable future, even if this male would not stick around.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 04:37 AM by Gijima )

(07-22-2021, 04:07 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Maybe he was aware of Dark Mane having the limp, so liked his chances because of that. Anyway, interesting, the Manyleti - Sabi Sands border region is shpaing to be quite unpredictable in foreseable future, even if this male would not stick around.

It wouldn’t be a DM post without the “limp” comment. 

I wonder if people are aware of how many lions in Kruger, with far greater issues, are living extremely productive lives as dominant males? It’s hugely disrespectful to think a massive apex predator like DM couldn’t absolutely pulverize that young male. So could the Imbali Male. This young lion is desperate and taking chances because he has no other options… and lions can actually be quiet tolerant of others when it comes to food. Nsuku let HB feed on his carcass a while ago… rival prides like Nharus and Mbiris have feed together. Blondie let the Mhangeni male eat alongside him. It’s a misconception that lions at all times just want to kill each other. They can tolerate each other under certain circumstances as long as each lion knows their place in the hierarchy.
6 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-22-2021, 03:38 AM)Gijima Wrote: One with DM (if he’s the same one that’s with the Imbali Male this is one ballsy young lion to approach two adult males like this):

It looks like it is the same now one eyed male who got in a scrap with 2 Skybed sons (few scars on the face match) :

Thats prob the same one seen trying to approach Ximhungwe lioness..

Obiviously we dont know if thats the male seen with Imbali recently, but it looks like his courage cost him an eye.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

(07-22-2021, 04:37 AM)Gijima Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 04:07 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Maybe he was aware of Dark Mane having the limp, so liked his chances because of that. Anyway, interesting, the Manyleti - Sabi Sands border region is shpaing to be quite unpredictable in foreseable future, even if this male would not stick around.

It wouldn’t be a DM post without the “limp” comment. 

I wonder if people are aware of how many lions in Kruger, with far greater issues, are living extremely productive lives as dominant males? It’s hugely disrespectful to think a massive apex predator like DM couldn’t absolutely pulverize that young male. So could the Imbali Male. This young lion is desperate and taking chances because he has no other options… and lions can actually be quiet tolerant of others when it comes to food. Nsuku let HB feed on his carcass a while ago… rival prides like Nharus and Mbiris have feed together. Blondie let the Mhangeni male eat alongside him. It’s a misconception that lions at all times just want to kill each other. They can tolerate each other under certain circumstances as long as each lion knows their place in the hierarchy.

Hold your horses. I am merely suggesting that he is unlikely to outrun anybody. That could give that young male more confidence to approach and sense of security not unlike the vultures sometimes get close to carcasses, knowing whatever carnivore i on the kill won't get them if he has finally enough to even bother. Whatver intercation the two had beyond that is another thing. But claiming known injury crippling one's explosive first step is not taken into account wouldbe foolish.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-22-2021, 04:37 AM)Gijima Wrote: It wouldn’t be a DM post without the “limp” comment. 

Agree, DM knows that this male is very young and for that reason no threat to him and his territory/dominance, it would be very different if for example 4-5 year old male like Styx/Nkuhuma  or PC boys try to do this, those would be chased and beaten down without a question by dominant male.. 

Thats the reason why you wont see "challenge ready" nomadic males feeding with dominant males in the area unlike this for example.. 

Lions feel those things, same can be seen with old nomadic males, dominant males would mostly ignore them, they know they are no threat to them..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-22-2021, 05:02 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Hold your horses. I am merely suggesting that he is unlikely to outrun anybody. That could give that young male more confidence to approach and sense of security not unlike the vultures sometimes get close to carcasses, knowing whatever carnivore i on the kill won't get them if he has finally enough to even bother. Whatver intercation the two had beyond that is another thing. But claiming known injury crippling one's explosive first step is not taken into account wouldbe foolish.

True, but its questionable if the young male noticed that.. I think its kinda desperate move by young male (same as Mhangeni Big Boy approached Blondie on carcass), he is taking a risk with hope that submissive behavior would be enough for big make to tolerate him, and when DM sees that this youngster is no threat to him, he let him feed.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline

(07-22-2021, 04:50 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 03:38 AM)Gijima Wrote: One with DM (if he’s the same one that’s with the Imbali Male this is one ballsy young lion to approach two adult males like this):

It looks like it is the same now one eyed male who got in a scrap with 2 Skybed sons (few scars on the face match) :

Thats prob the same one seen trying to approach Ximhungwe lioness..

Obiviously we dont know if thats the male seen with Imbali recently, but it looks like his courage cost him an eye.

Interesting.. now I’m curious if he was the one trying to approach the Talamati Pride. He seems around 3.5/4 years old… but maybe underdeveloped?
3 users Like Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Interesting to see how close he got to DM! I can see why the mistaken identification was made
2 users Like Tonpa's post