There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hey, here's the official announcement for the coalition name for Styx-Nkuhuma males 

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

The WE viewer who was in Sabi this week and saw DM in Arathusa mentioned that Roy Mkansi told them that two Talamati sub-adults were killed in Buffelshoek some months ago. He didn't wanna give out any details only that they were killed in a fight.
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-23-2021, 08:04 PM)Tonpa Wrote: The WE viewer who was in Sabi this week and saw DM in Arathusa mentioned that Roy Mkansi told them that two Talamati sub-adults were killed in Buffelshoek some months ago. He didn't wanna give out any details only that they were killed in a fight.

Arent 12 members seen together regulary? And with 2 lionesses with Imbali male, thats 14, 5 females and 9 subs.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline

(07-23-2021, 08:04 PM)Tonpa Wrote: The WE viewer who was in Sabi this week and saw DM in Arathusa mentioned that Roy Mkansi told them that two Talamati sub-adults were killed in Buffelshoek some months ago. He didn't wanna give out any details only that they were killed in a fight.

Whoa that’s news. Can we fact check that? I’m pretty sure the boys are still around and the females always look like a big group.

This is five females with old silver eye in the back for example.
3 users Like Gijima's post

Contributor

Yeah it's a bit of a strange one, just today on stream tristan said he counted 10-11 Talamatis on a kill in Torchwood

11+2 in manyeleti would be 13, although if he only counted 10 then yeah two are missing

Here's the convo if you want to read https://twitter.com/elize_roets/status/1...5063460869
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-23-2021, 08:27 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Yeah it's a bit of a strange one, just today on stream tristan said he counted 10-11 Talamatis on a kill in Torchwood

11+2 in manyeleti would be 13, although if he only counted 10 then yeah two are missing

Here's the convo if you want to read https://twitter.com/elize_roets/status/1...5063460869

Its hard to know, because we cant know if all members are there..

For example, on that video from Manyeleti few days ago, there where only 8 Talamatis + DM.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Plains Camp boys hunting at Londolozi :

Photo Credit : jamessouchon

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 08:49 PM by Gijima )

(07-23-2021, 08:27 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Yeah it's a bit of a strange one, just today on stream tristan said he counted 10-11 Talamatis on a kill in Torchwood

Wait, now that I re-read that convo it says "there are only 12 Talamatis" but that's accurate because of the two adult females that stay north. Unless someone actually saw dead bodies.
2 users Like Gijima's post

Contributor

(07-23-2021, 08:49 PM)Gijima Wrote:

Wait, now that I re-read that convo it says "there are only 12 Talamatis" but that's accurate because of the two adult females that stay north. Unless someone actually saw dead bodies.

You gotta click the comment to read the chains, they mention two-sub adults 

"Yes two Sub Adults were killed Roy didn't want to give to much info on it"
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 09:01 PM by Gijima )

(07-23-2021, 08:54 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(07-23-2021, 08:49 PM)Gijima Wrote:

You gotta click the comment to read the chains, they mention two-sub adults 

Sorry I should have clarified: "Arathusa guide told me there are 12 members of the Talamati Pride two were killed"<< that seems like he thinks there are only 12 because 2 were killed? Which would be inaccurate because two are always away.
2 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 09:56 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-23-2021, 08:54 PM)Tonpa Wrote: You gotta click the comment to read the chains, they mention two-sub adults 

Wait a minute, why he didn't want to give any info?

Now i remember something..

When Hukumuri was shot, around the same time Talamatis escaped or nearly escape fences in Manyeleti which where down because of flooding, they managed to bring them back..

On PaintedDog TV stream, in which they where discussion Hukumuri, somebody on the panel mentioned that animals all the time escape fences and cause trouble local villages, he said, and i remember that well "Even recently 2 lions where shot in that area who escaped out of fences"..

I didn't care too much about that at the time thinking maybe he mistaken something or maybe that didn't happened here..

As you said, he said they where killed "few months"  ago (incident with Talamatis happened in late January /February if i remember) and didn't wanna give no info..

I dont know for you guys, but if indeed 2 subadult Talamatis where killed, they might be these ones.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

Hoping we get more details now that info is out there I guess
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Gavskrr Offline

in the following tweets he mentions that they were killed in a brawl between March/April so maybe it's not the case that they were shot, by the way, if it really happened it's more likely that they were killed by the male s8
1 user Likes Gavskrr's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Londolozi 
Day 2: morning safari 

Our plan for this chilly morning was to find lions. We had audio of lions deep south and headed in that direction bypassing 2 male leopards which we also heard calling. We spent the entire morning searching for them and towards the end of drive their tracks crossed into an area that we could not traverse. We had lots of general game on route back to camp. 

Day 2: afternoon safari
Our afternoon plan was still lions. There were tracks of lions in the north this morning so we headed there and we began searching. Eventually one of our trackers called in a male lion and we moved to where he’d last seen him and we located 2 young males (Plains Camp males) who settled into thick bushes. We sat with them for over an hour hoping that as the sun went lower they’d move into the open. Our patience paid and we had an awesome sighting with them. We left them after dark as they went back to sleep and headed back to camp ending an interestingly awesome day in the bush.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Gijima Offline

(07-23-2021, 09:47 PM)Gavskrr Wrote: in the following tweets he mentions that they were killed in a brawl between March/April so maybe it's not the case that they were shot, by the way, if it really happened it's more likely that they were killed by the male s8

I double checked, and I can confirm at least 5 female sub adults were at the sighting I posted on June 27th. So that's one inaccuracy.

If a sixth is missing I won't jump to the conclusion that they got killed by S8. Arathusa doesn't traverse Buffleshoek and as was mentioned it's extremely odd that he won't share more details since animals getting killed by others is perfectly normal and not something you would hide.
4 users Like Gijima's post