There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Singita just posted on their instagram Othawa breakeaways, dont know if its recent tho, i hope it is:

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

@Gijima I asked Michael Fleetwood the admin of the Lions of Djuma group who followed them pretty closely back then, this was his reply 

3 users Like Tonpa's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-30-2021, 12:00 AM by Duco Ndona )

I dont know. Singita also posted some other stuff about them from june. It could be just part of that.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Gijima Offline

(06-29-2021, 11:27 PM)Tonpa Wrote: @Gijima I asked Michael Fleetwood the admin of the Lions of Djuma group who followed them pretty closely back then, this was his reply 

Nice, thanks for that. This definitely raises a couple of questions:  

1) Is that photo of an actual male cub or just a random cub of Amber Eye's? 

2) I wonder who these three distinct looking males are then: 

IMO the males on the top are clearly Purple Eye's. They're a copy/paste of her. The last one ("5") seemed to be controversial but in the comments it was pointed out that he was smaller than the girls so younger. I even found that sighting referred to: 

He's definitely younger. I also wonder who this group refers to as Amber Eye's son if these three clearly aren't. I think it's possible they just made an honest mistake (maybe one small cub wasn't seen at a sighting or photographed but was actually there?? who knows).  

Hopefully we see more of the pride soon to confirm.
3 users Like Gijima's post

Contributor

"We have had two new male lions walk into the middle of the west this morning. The Plains Camp males were very vocal all night. They could definitely challenge the Thumbela’s in the near future."

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

I doubt it.
For the time being any coalition interested in taking over a pride would have to pass the Mhangeni to reach the Othawas. Which are a far more easier and rewarding target.

Its like passing on free food to get the expensive stuff.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

(06-29-2021, 10:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Singita just posted on their instagram Othawa breakeaways, dont know if its recent tho, i hope it is:

Actually this happened 2 weeks' ago. It's according to Singita.
3 users Like lionuk's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-30-2021, 05:48 PM by Tonpa )

Facebook link sorry. Tsalala Female and Limper mating I think
Video by Roger Hlongwane

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(06-30-2021, 03:11 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I doubt it.
For the time being any coalition interested in taking over a pride would have to pass the Mhangeni to reach the Othawas. Which are a far more easier and rewarding target.

Its like passing on free food to get the expensive stuff.

Yea, but Styx and NK will also prob compete for Mhangenis..

So loser between PC boys and Styx/NK for Mhangenis will try to take other near by pride..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Contributor

The war for the western sector!
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Sweden Mangw Offline

Are there 5 or 6 sub-adult males in nkuhuma pride?

Contributor

I think its a stretch to say that it will happen in the near future. Perhaps sometime in the next year or so.  
Though if they lose to Nym and Sym I dont see them having much change.

Contributor

Quote:
Londolozi Blog

After breakfast, on our last leg of the drive along the Western boundary, a single lioness had been found near to where we were, so we decided to join Jess Shillaw in the sighting. It can often be a challenge identifying lionesses unless they have any visible features such as scars or markings. This lioness was quite possibly one of the Mangheni lionesses. We followed her for a short while and watched her stalk a couple warthogs.

Eventually, we lost sight of her as she ventured into a thicket and it became difficult to follow her. At this stage we were only a few kilometers from camp, so we slowly made our way back, completing what turned out to be a wonderful winter morning drive.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2021/06/30/ro...londolozi/

This could be the Mhangeni lioness that was missing from the group pic a while ago.
No mention of the missing cubs.  So sadly there is a good chance they perished afteral.

Contributor

Hmm might be, same lioness? 

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Interesting they've come back with confidence after being chased away

9 users Like Tonpa's post