There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 12:45 AM by Dreadlocks )

About Othawa male beath - I see one clear reason  " lioness  with cubs " , Othawa male following this lioness , when he start roaring and chasing, female answer and calling for family members, Kambula pride with one or both Bboy,  were close and Othawa male fall into the trap. last week Mhangene pride show us how lioness can defend cubs. i think with help of kambula pride Nhenha defeated Othawa male.
Guys sorry for my english. i tried hard, hope you make sense.
4 users Like Dreadlocks's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

I'm sorry but people who think the Kambula Females or sub adults were involved in his death have no idea how lions live. The chance is lower than Hyenas. If the Kambula Females were involved, why aren't they limping like Nhenha or have supposed "superficial wounds" like the Bboys or was the Othawa beating up Nhenha whilst the Kambulas killed him? Its all a bunch of bullcrap at this point. Lionesses don't maul male lions. They will maybe injure but to kill a male is not something lionesses do. If the Kambula were so capable of just deciding to kill males, why didn't they help the Bboys kill the Othawa Male when they used to chase him before? They had cubs at the time too as well or why didn't that Kambula lioness help Nhenha kill Mohawk? The only logical explanation is the Bboys did it 2v1 with females having little to no effect. Both Bboys had superficial scars and Nhenha was limping which he isn't anymore. There is no more damage a male lion could do outnumbered.
4 users Like Slayerd's post

(06-13-2021, 11:56 PM)Gijima Wrote: Everyone has been seen since this right? 

*This image is copyright of its original author

What injuries? Both Birmingham Boys are healthy according to Legend Safaris and are both together. In fact Nhenha is back to perfect condition. He is no longer limping and his jaw cut has completely closed up. He looks in a prime condition as a male could be for his age.
5 users Like Slayerd's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The problem is that Lions typically don't follow the rules of how we believe they should live. 
Lionesses do enter fights if their cubs are at stake. They are hardly damsels in distress that just watch while the men do all the work. 

The simple truth is. What happened happened. How unlikely it may be. Rare events happen very commonly.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-14-2021, 01:07 AM)Slayerd Wrote: What injuries? Both Birmingham Boys are healthy according to Legend Safaris and are both together. In fact Nhenha is back to perfect condition. He is no longer limping and his jaw cut has completely closed up. He looks in a prime condition as a male could be for his age

Yea, donk know what is that about, but 2 Bboys where seen in perfect condition recently, Nhenha was not even limping.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

(06-14-2021, 12:54 AM)Slayerd Wrote: I'm sorry but people who think the Kambula Females or sub adults were involved in his death have no idea how lions live. The chance is lower than Hyenas. If the Kambula Females were involved, why aren't they limping like Nhenha or have supposed "superficial wounds" like the Bboys or was the Othawa beating up Nhenha whilst the Kambulas killed him? Its all a bunch of bullcrap at this point. Lionesses don't maul male lions. They will maybe injure but to kill a male is not something lionesses do. If the Kambula were so capable of just deciding to kill males, why didn't they help the Bboys kill the Othawa Male when they used to chase him before? They had cubs at the time too as well or why didn't that Kambula lioness help Nhenha kill Mohawk? The only logical explanation is the Bboys did it 2v1 with females having little to no effect. Both Bboys had superficial scars and Nhenha was limping which he isn't anymore. There is no more damage a male lion could do outnumbered.

1. everyone in this group knows more than usual person about lions live. 2. everyone has own opinion. 3. you not understand what i write.
1 user Likes Dreadlocks's post

(06-14-2021, 01:13 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The problem is that Lions typically don't follow the rules of how we believe they should live. 
Lionesses do enter fights if their cubs are at stake. They are hardly damsels in distress that just watch while the men do all the work. 

The simple truth is. What happened happened. How unlikely it may be. Rare events happen very commonly.

You're putting your own rules on them lol. The truth is that females are definitely capable of killing a male lion if 5 or 6 works together, just like a big Hyena clan is capable so why don't they? Why do they fear them? 
Number 1 is a male lion is fully capable of killing at least 1 of them so all are scared. A single bite from a male lion could cripple a Lioness or Hyena. 
Number 2, there is hierarchy and the male lion is at the top. You said females won't stand by and let men fight for them. Yes, they will, just as easily  as a male will let a Lioness hunt and then steal the meal for himself. This is the order of nature. Why does a Buffalo run from a lion? It makes no sense if they are 100 buffalo with huge horns but its the law of nature. They're the prey and the lions are the predator.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Brazil Rorre_ Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 10:21 AM by Rishi )

Why it's hard for people to believe that two big, strong, healthy and experienced males can kill an adult male who have experience fighting?.. With so many examples documented in videos of male lions defending their territories against other males. The Bboys are one of the great coalitions that passed through Sabi Sands and still continue to doubt their power.

United Kingdom Hairy tummy Offline

I think people are over thinking this.99% chance the om ran into both the bboys and they killed him, isn't it pretty much what usually happens when a male lion is killed in a battle?!
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Except stuff like that happens all the time. 
Also. The argument that we don't see something therefor it cannot happen is kind of flawed. There is no magic forcefield that prevents a lion from doing something we don't expect.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-14-2021, 01:50 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: I think people are over thinking this.99% chance the om ran into both the bboys and they killed him, isn't it pretty much what usually happens when a male lion is killed in a battle?!

Yea, im all those cases when males get killed, we never had a case when pride assisted one coalition, but now when 2 Bboys killed OM, people are saying it must be Kambulas who actually helped Bboys, which is quite funny..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(06-14-2021, 01:54 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Except stuff like that happens all the time. 
Also. The argument that we don't see something therefor it cannot happen is kind of flawed. There is no magic forcefield that prevents a lion from doing something we don't expect.

I have followed lions for a while and I have never heard of even one case of a group of lionesses killing or badly injuring an adult male lion. Lionesses do show aggression toward males or put up a fight when their cubs are in danger but it never escalates to a killing. 'The argument that we don't see something therefor it cannot happen is kind of flawed', assuming something to be true without evidence is equally flawed if not more.
5 users Like sik94's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Who knows. It could have happened or it couldn't.
Outside of luring the Othawa Male and Birmingham Boys to the same position. They aren't absolutely needed. 

My point is more that we cant just count out theories because its not what we generally observe.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

(06-14-2021, 02:03 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 01:54 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Except stuff like that happens all the time. 

I have followed lions for a while and I have never heard of even one case of a group of lionesses killing or badly injuring an adult male lion. Lionesses do show aggression toward males or put up a fight when their cubs are in danger but it never escalates to a killing. 'The argument that we don't see something therefor it cannot happen is kind of flawed', assuming something to be true without evidence is equally flawed if not more.

Well there was Zuri a while back in Indianapolis Zoo. 

Ultimately neither of us has any evidence to prove or disprove anything. But we should have an open mind.

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 02:30 AM by sik94 )

(06-14-2021, 02:19 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 02:03 AM)sik94 Wrote:

Well there was Zuri a while back in Indianapolis Zoo. 

Ultimately neither of us has any evidence to prove or disprove anything. But we should have an open mind.

A zoo is different, we are talking about wild lions here. Captive lions aren't a true reflection of how wild lions behave, I just need one report from a lodge or a wildlife expert and I'll be totally onboard with this, I have an open mind toward anything with evidence. And, I don't have to prove anything, you're making a claim so the burden of proof is on you.