There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-06-2021, 07:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 07:50 PM)Potato Wrote: That is what I was expecting and I mentioned this when Othawa male passed away that Singita may became huge battle ground. At first Plains Camp vs Nkuchuma/Styx. I would not be suprised if Tumbelas and/or N'was also joins competition and Othawa boys are growing in the region and in the couple of months may also show intrests of dominating the arena.

Othawa boys are nowhere near the age to show interest or compete for dominating an area/pride.

Older Othawa male wasn't even 3 and half when he snack Mhangeni pride from Birmingham males. Perhaps they will wait longer with trying to dominate arena like most males would do, but personally I wouldn't be suprised if they would not waste that much time.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2021, 10:56 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-06-2021, 09:13 PM)Potato Wrote: Older Othawa male wasn't even 3 and half when he snack Mhangeni pride from Birmingham males. Perhaps they will wait longer with trying to dominate arena like most males would do, but personally I wouldn't be suprised if they would not waste that much time.

Mini Matimbas are just 2.5 years old, cmon..

NK, Styx, Torchwood male are almost 5 ,and they still didn't contest for territory..

OM is 1 example, and rare example..

90% males dont become dominant before 4 yrs of age, and most become at 4.5 - 5 or more yrs of age..

Thats a fact and i dont want to discuss it anymore, because we had these discussions before..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The problem with such statistics or generalised behavoir studies is that animals themselves don't care to follow them...

The Mhangeni pride is a golden opportunity and ultimately they will decide for themselves whether they take it. We will just have to wait and see.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Random question of the day, what happened to the matimba talamati females? They took their cubs when the avoca males came and were never seen again?
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 06:55 AM by Tonpa )

Just saw this posted on twitter, a person in this comments asked about the sparta cub two weeks ago and Lion Sands Game Reserve replied that she died on a neighboring property and they don't know the details 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPDs39splVr/
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-06-2021, 10:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 90% males dont become dominant before 4 yrs of age, and most become at 4.5 - 5 or more yrs of age..
Yes, but I expect Othawa male to become one those more capable. Everythink which is came from Othawa pride was impressive and if you add to it Matimba bloodline then you will get some true powerhouses and the junior Majingi is already big. They are already strong enought to keep 40 hyenas at bay.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I never really bought much into that whole bloodline stuff. 
Most of those coalitions were likely just lucky to be born in big groups of male cubs at the right time. And then hyped up in documentaries.

JR is much to young to take anything over and would likely just be chased off or killed later if he did. 

Sad to hear about the Sparta cub though.

lionuk Offline
Contributor

5 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Mohawk alone in bboy territory - wayyy tooo south
*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-07-2021, 06:49 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Just saw this posted on twitter, a person in this comments asked about the sparta cub two weeks ago and Lion Sands Game Reserve replied that she died on a neighboring property and they don't know the details 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPDs39splVr/

Really sad for Sparta subadult.

But even surviving that long, alone, at her age, showed that she was really resiliant lion, but miracle didn't happen..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-07-2021, 05:49 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Mohawk alone in bboy territory - wayyy tooo south

What is Mohawk doing? I guess those videos are filmed around the same time, he is waaay behind enemies lines, and alone..

Lucky for him, Nhenha is still limping on front leg since encounter with OM, so he can prob out run them..

But this gives me serious OM's flashbacks..

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Othawa youngsters have gone to Sabi Sabi

3 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 07:31 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-07-2021, 07:17 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Othawa youngsters have gone to Sabi Sabi

Wow, thats a suprise..

Also not good news for that young female, im affraid she has too much bond with the boys, and that she will follow them away from western sector..

They will prob return back tho, after they hear roars from Nwaswitshakas.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 10:37 PM by Tonpa )

Forgot to post this one, S8 Male interacting with the Talamatis on a Kill in Buffelshoek.

Posted by Ros Mitchell in a facebook group
"Can someone please identify if this is the Dark Mane Avoca? He was hovering around a waterbuck kill with the Talamatis yesterday but he didn’t seem to have a limp and I don’t recall the nick in his right ear.

Also the females were not allowing him into the kill and the young males ran away every time he approached. Any thoughts please?"

Last time we saw Dark Mane was on June 4th when he went to Simbambili and chased a leopard up a tree, wonder if hes got a kill somewhere there, he hasn't been in Djuma since I don't think
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Gavskrr Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 10:55 PM by Gavskrr )

(06-07-2021, 10:34 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Esqueci de postar este, S8 Male interagindo com o Talamatis em uma matança em Buffelshoek.

Postado por Ros Mitchell em um grupo do Facebook
"Alguém pode identificar se este é o Dark Mane Avoca? Ele estava pairando em torno de um waterbuck kill com o Talamatis ontem, mas ele não parecia mancar e eu não me lembro do nick em sua orelha direita.

Além disso, as mulheres não estavam permitindo que ele matasse e os rapazes fugiam toda vez que ele se aproximava. Algum pensamento, por favor? "

A última vez que vimos Dark Mane foi no dia 4 de junho quando ele foi para Simbambili e perseguiu um leopardo em uma árvore, me pergunto se ele conseguiu uma morte em algum lugar, ele não esteve em Djuma desde que eu não acho

this might be a bit worrying for Dark Mane if you take into account that the last time he was seen he didn't look in good condition, hopefully there won't be a meeting between the two
3 users Like Gavskrr's post