There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-12-2021, 12:58 AM)Matimbalani Wrote: This has been a rotten year: Orpen males gone, OM gone, Monwana's are gone (unlikely that the limping one will survive), Vurhami's decimated, HB gone, Nharhus lost a member. Deaths are just piling up.

In the wake of OMs loss, I hope Junior and his siblings make it.

Yeah, also Three Tooth and Hildas Rock Male, people still have hope, but this 2 legends are most likely gone, also in their prime years and still quite young..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-12-2021, 01:04 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Saturday, 8 May 2021
Two Avoca male lions chasing the 2 Plains Camp male lions on Simbambili Firebreak

Hope all parties stay safe, it has been enough blood recently..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-12-2021, 12:58 AM)Matimbalani Wrote: This has been a rotten year: Orpen males gone, OM gone, Monwana's are gone (unlikely that the limping one will survive), Vurhami's decimated, HB gone, Nharhus lost a member. Deaths are just piling up.

In the wake of OMs loss, I hope Junior and his siblings make it.

Outside of Sabi Sands, we cannot forget Lolparpit, Sikio, and Scarface's better days are behind him. Yes, agreed, been a horrible last 12 months.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 02:11 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-12-2021, 01:51 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Outside of Sabi Sands, we cannot forget Lolparpit, Sikio, and Scarface's better days are behind him. Yes, agreed, been a horrible last 12 months.

I think its a bit different, when lion dies of old age like those, I agree its still hard to see those legends go, like Hairy Belly and others .. But those lions are way past their prime, they lived lions life to fullest and theres nothing more to achive, end will come sooner or later, nobody can live forever.. 

But when we lose a prime or young lion like recently Othawa male, Orpen males, Monwana male, Nharhu male, Mbilu.. it definitely hits different, atleast to me..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Any idea when the last sighting of the ximhunwe pride and avoca males together was? Surprised they spend so much time in Elephant plains and never bump into each other
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-12-2021, 02:11 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Any idea when the last sighting of the ximhunwe pride and avoca males together was? Surprised they spend so much time in Elephant plains and never bump into each other

As far I remember, the last sighting was in September 2019.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 02:32 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-12-2021, 02:11 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Any idea when the last sighting of the ximhunwe pride and avoca males together was? Surprised they spend so much time in Elephant plains and never bump into each other

Didn't they bump into each others last year? And then Blondie chased them..not all is seen in the wild, being so close they most likely bump into each others occasionaly..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 03:02 AM by Duco Ndona )

I think she is really shy. After all she has been on the run for others since she was a cub. 
She probably only interacts with other lions when she is in estrus or really cant help it.

Which is good. As it probably is what kept her alive for this long. 
Still I am glad she has a cub now. She must have been quite lonely after her sister died.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(05-12-2021, 02:31 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Didn't they bump into each others last year? And then Blondie chased them..not all is seen in the wild, being so close they most likely bump into each others occasionaly..

Yes, they did. Fortunately the ximhunge and her cub were able to get away. That happened last September, I think. I was watching Wild Earth when they mentioned that incident.
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(05-12-2021, 02:01 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 01:51 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Outside of Sabi Sands, we cannot forget Lolparpit, Sikio, and Scarface's better days are behind him. Yes, agreed, been a horrible last 12 months.

I think its a bit different, when lion dies of old age like those, I agree its still hard to see those legends go, like Hairy Belly and others .. But those lions are way past their prime, they lived lions life to fullest and theres nothing more to achive, end will come sooner or later, nobody can live forever.. 

But when we lose a prime or young lion like recently Othawa male, Orpen males, Monwana male, Nharhu male, Mbilu.. it definitely hits different, atleast to me..

I agree entirely @Tr1x24 , I just thought we talking about those we've lost altogether, over the past year. But, yes, I agree entirely with what you wrote. I cannot tell you how awful I have felt since @Timbavati brought OM to my attention, just devastated. I know there are folks who say it's just the wild, and that is their prerogative to feel that way and I respect it, but for me personally, I get attached to these animals, following them so closely, watching their lives unfold. While I know death happens daily, especially in the wild, but it really hits home when you follow the daily lives of individual animals. I never felt that way in my earlier years, it has only been since 2011 really, that my thinking began to change drastically from where it was the entire rest of my life. I was one of those who were indifferent to the death of a wild animal, but those days are now behind me..
5 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(05-12-2021, 02:54 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

This is exactly why Othawa Male's unscarred face was so unusual. It's not like he lived alone. He might not have had to fight much with other males, but these types of interactions are normal in lion society, and yet he still remained so beautiful.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(05-12-2021, 02:31 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

I saw just a few days ago, someone posted about the Tsalala cub, but I have not heard mention of her mother in quite some time either. Identical situation to these two. I hope some filmmaker decides to document the story of these two lionesses, such an amazing story for both prides. Hopefully one day.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-12-2021, 02:58 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I agree entirely @Tr1x24 , I just thought we talking about those we've lost altogether, over the past year. But, yes, I agree entirely with what you wrote. I cannot tell you how awful I have felt since @Timbavati brought OM to my attention, just devastated. I know there are folks who say it's just the wild, and that is their prerogative to feel that way and I respect it, but for me personally, I get attached to these animals, following them so closely, watching their lives unfold. While I know death happens daily, especially in the wild, but it really hits home when you follow the daily lives of individual animals. I never felt that way in my earlier years, it has only been since 2011 really, that my thinking began to change drastically from where it was the entire rest of my life. I was one of those who were indifferent to the death of a wild animal, but those days are now behind me..

Its not good to get too attached to them (which is hard sometimes) , as just we seen, living in the wild is always living on the edge and there might not be tomorow for some, just like that..

To me biggest shock was death of Mhangeni Big Boy, i followed him very closely and got very attached, so im trying not to do that anymore, but deaths like Junior Nkuhuma and Othawa male definitely hurts, as we follow those lions almost on daily basis..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(05-12-2021, 03:07 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 02:58 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I agree entirely @Tr1x24 , I just thought we talking about those we've lost altogether, over the past year. But, yes, I agree entirely with what you wrote. I cannot tell you how awful I have felt since @Timbavati brought OM to my attention, just devastated. I know there are folks who say it's just the wild, and that is their prerogative to feel that way and I respect it, but for me personally, I get attached to these animals, following them so closely, watching their lives unfold. While I know death happens daily, especially in the wild, but it really hits home when you follow the daily lives of individual animals. I never felt that way in my earlier years, it has only been since 2011 really, that my thinking began to change drastically from where it was the entire rest of my life. I was one of those who were indifferent to the death of a wild animal, but those days are now behind me..

Its not good to get too attached to them (which is hard sometimes) , as just we seen, living in the wild is always living on the edge and there might not be tomorow for some, just like that..

To me biggest shock was death of Mhangeni Big Boy, i followed him very closely and got very attached, so im trying not to do that anymore, but deaths like Junior Nkuhuma and Othawa male definitely hurts, as we follow those lions almost on daily basis..

Big Boy was one of the saddest tales in a very long time, at least for me, that one really stung as well. Trust me, I wish I didn't, I used to have ice in my veins, still do when it comes to certain things, but have begun to soften in my later years. You nailed it though, for how closely we follow them, it is hard to separate when bad things happen, because we spend so much time hoping for the best possible lives for them, just like Hairy Belly, Lolparpit, Makhulu, and countless others who were able to live legendary long lives in the midst of such overwhelming odds. When we lose them early, it is a huge disappointment. I know the reason behind my change of heart, and since 2011 I have become a very different person in my way of thinking about certain subjects.