There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States sik94 Online
Sikander Hayat

(05-10-2021, 02:12 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 01:56 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 01:46 AM)Tonpa Wrote: How long before the same happens to Mohawk ey

Mohawk knew not to go chasing after Nhena too far, or maybe the lioness distracted him. He would be crazy to challenge 2 Bboys alone, it'll be a suicide mission just like OM.

He got stopped by elephants (malamala april report)

*This image is copyright of its original author
Oh yeah, I'm sure he could have continued that confrontation if he wanted cuz Nhena did at some point stop to roar back. Mohawk probably went to find Blondie instead of going after Nhena alone, which would be the right call
1 user Likes sik94's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-10-2021, 02:19 AM)sik94 Wrote: Oh yeah, I'm sure he could have continued that confrontation if he wanted cuz Nhena did at some point stop to roar back. Mohawk probably went to find Blondie instead of going after Nhena alone, which would be the right call

Mohawk got the female as Nhenha run away, no need for Mohawk to chase him anymore as he got what he wanted..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Sikander Hayat

(05-10-2021, 02:17 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 02:04 AM)sik94 Wrote: He challenged other males as a lone male though, had he not gotten 'trapped' by the mhangeni pride as a young male he wouldn't have had to do this alone.

I wouldn't said "trapped".. Males purpose is to become dominant, hold territory and sire cubs, which OM succeed at only 4 yrs of age, and to this day he didn't lost his territory to other males.. 

Theres no guarante that he would find partner if he went nomadic and moved off from this area in 2018, most males got killed or die in nomadic phase, just watch 6 Vurhamis, 5 got killed.. Odds that he would find partner and succeed are very very low..

That's why I put it in quotes. He was always at the mercy of other lions, this was always gonna happen sooner or later. The Vurhamis are a very unique situation, OM would have most likely done okay as a lone male. He just had to survive till he found someone, a couple of hard years for some good years later on, he was gonna have to do this anyway cuz he was eventually gonna get challenged by a coalition and have to go nomadic. I guess this really proves how tough it is being a lone male.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Reply of MalaMala to some questions: No evidence of any other males in the area. The N, Avocas have never crossed over the Sand River, at least not yet. Although the Gowrie males have technically lost ground to them - keep in mind that it may be a tactical withdrawal. But it’s also a numbers game... Gowrie males will be more cautious against 2 enemies as opposed to just one.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Sikander Hayat

(05-10-2021, 02:25 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 02:19 AM)sik94 Wrote: Oh yeah, I'm sure he could have continued that confrontation if he wanted cuz Nhena did at some point stop to roar back. Mohawk probably went to find Blondie instead of going after Nhena alone, which would be the right call

Mohawk got the female as Nhenha run away, no need for Mohawk to chase him anymore as he got what he wanted..
Mohawk could have chosen to pursue Nhena if he was feeling himself that day, I don't think a male lion would forget another male was in the area after he just chased him just cuz of a female.
2 users Like sik94's post

Gijima Offline

(05-10-2021, 02:39 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 02:25 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Mohawk could have chosen to pursue Nhena if he was feeling himself that day, I don't think a male lion would forget another male was in the area after he just chased him just cuz of a female.

This is the difference between Mohawk and OM: “ Once the Northern Avoca male returned north, she sought him out and proceded to 'flirt' with him. She was led north along the Mlowathi River to Senegal Bush while trying to convince the male to come back south. Her attempts were futile as the male led her into the core of his territory and away from the Gowrie males”

Mohawk took a calculated risk, and then return north. He refused to stay south alone. 

I can’t believe OM ran into Mala Mala. :/ He has no business in Mala Mala. I just don’t understand. It’s one thing to push into another males territory from the border and slowly move in. But he just ran into the middle of their territory.... after hearing TWO males roar?  

Definitely devastating and sad on so many levels.
4 users Like Gijima's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

(05-10-2021, 01:20 AM)lionuk Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 01:00 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 12:55 AM)Tonpa Wrote: https://www.instagram.com/stories/gareth...868061846/

If this is Nhenha, he has a limp, I messaged the author and about his condition and he replied "Looks like he has a bit of a limp and one or two new scars on the bridge of his nose but nothing serious."

Guessing they broke Othawa males spine pretty quickly and then left him

Definitely he has a limp in front pawn/leg, and if fight happened 3 night ago , its already healing..

Few whisker still visiable on carcass, its definitely Othawa male unfortunately :

Mhangeni pride now is in their third night without OM. Surely, the lionesses there must be by now wondering where he is, sadly..

Its sad.. But the pride life will go on as normal without him. We probably wont notice until other males show up. 

(05-10-2021, 01:38 AM)Tonpa Wrote: From MalaMala IG

"We received news a couple days ago that the Othawa male had crossed onto MalaMala near Princess Alice Pans. He was reportedly moving with purpose... into the core of the Gowrie males’ territory. It would appear that he severely underestimated his enemies. News came in today that the mangled remains of a male lion were found on Londolozi, just west of Princess Alice Pans and a dental comparison seems to confirm that it was the Othawa male. We viewed the younger of the Gowrie males with the Kambula pride today and he does have a few new superficial cuts and bruises."

I guess it sounds like a pretty straight forward case then. 

Nguvu went on one of his tail chasing incursions and embolded by his earlier successes and lack of a response he went in deeper than ever. 
He then was ambushed by one or more of the BBoys. Nhena either attacked the front and suffered most of Nguvus defense while Tinyo quickly snapped his spine. Or Nhena overpowered him and managed to snap the spine on his own.. After that it would have been a matter of attacking his hindquarters until the damage became large enough for him to pass of blood loss or leaving him for the Hyenas to finish...

As for Mohawk. 

Lion warfare has always been mostly mindgames over unclearly defined assets. 

I guess the Avoca did something to spook Nhena that Nguvu didnt. Or Nhena was not into that particular lioness. 
But most likely Nguvu just went in far to deep in the core of their territory.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Sgarbi Offline
Banned

https://www.instagram.com/p/COnAiPencmS/...p0zojn80ah

Parece que com algumas atualizações recentes mostram tinyo curadas feridas, parece que tinyo o encarou e ninguém veio ajudá-lo, não consigo explicar o sentimento de tristeza mesmo tendo os antigos Kings of Birmingham como favoritos, nós amamos a todos como um todo, se os avocas entrarem no território e tentarem pressioná-los terão o mesmo fim.

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

I come across the news of OM and I'm really shocked, he was a very beautiful and well-known lion. Reading his opinions I evidently think it was a miscalculation to underestimate the territory of the BBoys and venture to Mala Mala being a lonely lion. We will be attentive to new updates on what happened. Very sad!  Surprised
3 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Farewell to Othawa male! Fallen King.

@londolozi announced that the Othawa male has been killed by the Birmingham males. It was a shock to everyone, an unexpected and quick end for a Lion many of us watched grow. In the shadow of his fathers, the Majingilane males and the Othawa pride. He was a very smart male, when he left his pride and joined another, he was never reckless. But in recent months he had been seen several times entering the territory of the Birminghams and roaring and defying them. It was reckless behavior, with his exaggerated confidence. In his last appearance, he was walking towards the roar of a Birmingham male, according to a Londolozi report, and then they found his body! This life of lions in the end is fought from the moment of birth with dangers and threats, as well as a lot of death. It is not easy to be a lion in the wild. We loved Othawa, and we know that everyone in the world of lions also loves him and is very sad about this news. It is reported that Othawa now has seven new cubs in Mhangeni pride; This may be our only consolation. Sleep in peace, my beautiful king, and your death has broken the hearts of many of us. You will never be forgotten. Othawa male!

Sabi Sands , South Africa
Photographer Credit
To follow & for Print : @quinrutherford
5 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 08:55 AM by Timbavati )

(05-10-2021, 02:49 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 01:20 AM)lionuk Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 01:00 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 12:55 AM)Tonpa Wrote: https://www.instagram.com/stories/gareth...868061846/

If this is Nhenha, he has a limp, I messaged the author and about his condition and he replied "Looks like he has a bit of a limp and one or two new scars on the bridge of his nose but nothing serious."

Guessing they broke Othawa males spine pretty quickly and then left him

Definitely he has a limp in front pawn/leg, and if fight happened 3 night ago , its already healing..

Few whisker still visiable on carcass, its definitely Othawa male unfortunately :

Mhangeni pride now is in their third night without OM. Surely, the lionesses there must be by now wondering where he is, sadly..

Its sad.. But the pride life will go on as normal without him. We probably wont notice until other males show up. 

(05-10-2021, 01:38 AM)Tonpa Wrote: From MalaMala IG

"We received news a couple days ago that the Othawa male had crossed onto MalaMala near Princess Alice Pans. He was reportedly moving with purpose... into the core of the Gowrie males’ territory. It would appear that he severely underestimated his enemies. News came in today that the mangled remains of a male lion were found on Londolozi, just west of Princess Alice Pans and a dental comparison seems to confirm that it was the Othawa male. We viewed the younger of the Gowrie males with the Kambula pride today and he does have a few new superficial cuts and bruises."

I guess it sounds like a pretty straight forward case then. 

Nguvu went on one of his tail chasing incursions and embolded by his earlier successes and lack of a response he went in deeper than ever. 
He then was ambushed by one or more of the BBoys. Nhena either attacked the front and suffered most of Nguvus defense while Tinyo quickly snapped his spine. Or Nhena overpowered him and managed to snap the spine on his own.. After that it would have been a matter of attacking his hindquarters until the damage became large enough for him to pass of blood loss or leaving him for the Hyenas to finish...

As for Mohawk. 

Lion warfare has always been mostly mindgames over unclearly defined assets. 

I guess the Avoca did something to spook Nhena that Nguvu didnt. Or Nhena was not into that particular lioness. 
But most likely Nguvu just went in far to deep in the core of their territory.

For those that doesn't know it yet, Nguvu in Swahili word (Eastern Africa language) meaning power or valor, force, might.
Also, Nguvu is a Shangaan/Xitsonga word but it describes an item of clothing
Power/Strength is translated 'Matimba' in Xitsonga Othawa male was a lion from Greater Kruger, South Africa and not from Kenya or Tanzania, so, his nickname Nguvu name wasn't very accurate. anyways, R.I.P big boy
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Nhenha - The Birmingham / Gowrie male filmed two days ago at Londolozi Game Reserve 
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 08:45 AM by Timbavati )

Some of the last pics of the Othawa male taken on Thursday morning - Caption: Still hoping it was not you, and that they find you alive and well this week...
On Thursday night I took this shot of your majestic beauty, before you crossed deep into Birmingham territory. We will never know why you decided to do that.
I am not ready to wish you a peaceful rest just yet...amazing how quickly you grow attached to an animal!
Photo credits goes to: Nadia de Lange Photography

5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

B/W and colour - Up-close and personal with the mighty Othawa male before of being killed by the Birmingham males
Photo credits goes to: Nadia de Lange Photography

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

So 7 cubs in Mhangeni pride now.. We need to hope that new males wont kill those cubs.. It happens when males dont kill the cubs if the pride doesn't have dominant male, not likely but.. Maybe if some inexperienced males came, like Styx/NK or Plains Camps..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post