There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

RookiePundit Offline

(03-08-2021, 03:58 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Southern Pride Lioness and her cubs - they seem to really like this rock perch 
Photos by Sabi Sabi reserve

*This image is copyright of its original author
That's some difference in shape of the head between the two cubs, might be recongnizeable by that in the future (supported by whisker patterns to confirm ofc).
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

I can not copy photos from that blog so I believe it is better to read it from source link tho I copy past it anyway.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/wds1hqrprqxb/2ytEh5Js3ByQZc4t9E7mjd/64d58bc2281700f702b267db432da2f5/SSS_Wildlife_Journal_January_2021.pdf

The rise of the Styx and Nkuhuma male lions Article by Damin Dallas

One thing that intrigues most guides, and a topic that absolutely fascinates me, is the ever-changing lion dynamics within the Sabi Sand Wildtuin. I remember visiting the reserve for the first time as a young child back in 2000 and being introduced to the various prides and male coalitions that were in the area at the time. I was blown away and couldn’t wait for every subsequent annual family trip so that I could sit and chat to the guides and find out what had happened with the lions in the year before. As the years rolled on and technology improved, social media made it easier to keep up to date with the lion population of the Sabi Sand. Fast forward almost 21 years and I now find myself in the fortunate position where I’m able to witness these animals living out their natural lives on a daily basis. 

Two lions that are certainly peeking everyone’s interest is the coalition consisting of the Styx and Nkuhuma male lions. These males, born in 2016, are now approaching five years in age and looking at previous coalitions and their successful takeovers, five years seems to be the age where males have built up the strength and confidence to lay down a challenge and take claim of territory and, with it, associated prides. With that in mind, these males are then approaching that stage in their lives in which they will start seeking out females and attempt to drive out existing dominant male lions. These males, like all young nomadic male lions, have kept a low profile, steering well clear of the already established coalitions that surround Singita. Concentrating most of their movements between the Sand River and the central parts of Singita, this somewhat vacant patch of land will do them good in allowing them to get a lay of the land. This will also help them determine what potential competition they will one day face through the surrounding territorial roars. 

Should these males be intent on staying in this area, they would need to oust at least one of four male coalitions. The already established males consist of the three Tumbela males to the west, the Othawa male to the south, the two Birmingham males to the far east and the three Avoca males to the north and east. The Tumbela coalition, being only a year older have the advantage of numbers with one extra coalition member. Coalition numbers is probably the true strength for any coalition and owes to the dominance success of the coalition. The two young males made a brief appearance in the west recently and were swiftly pushed back east by the Tumbela males and so the west is probably out of question for them. 

Northern Singita has seen an increased number of appearances from the Avoca males in recent times and being three adult males in their prime, it almost immediately rules out this area for any attempted takeover. 

Looking east and the two Birmingham males still rule over a large tract of land. These males, now around 10 years in age are still a force to be reckoned with and any takeover attempt in this area would almost certainly require the Styx and Nkuhuma males isolating one of the Birmingham males. It does, however, appear that the Avoca coalition are pushing further south into what is Birmingham territory so again this is probably an area ruled out for the two young males. 

What’s left and could be a viable option is central and southern Singita which is under the Othawa male lion’s rule. The Othawa male, now at six years of age and in his prime, is probably one of the largest and most impressive male lions I have seen in recent years. Unfortunately for him though he is a male lion on his own and this will make it extremely difficult for him to defend himself and his territory from a coalition of two. It has happened before in the past where single male lions have fended off coalitions and the Othawa male may be able to do just that, but it will be no easy task. This would, in my opinion, probably be the Styx and Nkuhuma males’ best chance of taking over territory and with it the Mhangene Pride.

For the time being, they seem to be content within the area we are finding them in, taking advantage of the bountiful prey species on offer. Having killed three giraffes over the last month, these males are providing for excellent viewing and are certainly a coalition to watch in the near future, and one in which I’ll follow with great interest. 
4 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(03-08-2021, 09:49 PM)Potato Wrote: "Having killed three giraffes over the last month"

Jesus lol

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Injured Nkuhuma still with the pride, skinny but leg looks better. 

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenDependable...c8kcysr0DY
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

Sorry I need to vent, but lately social media has been such a source of misinformation. I didn’t say anything when I heard about the OM getting injured or HB’s death, although I knew 100% that wasn’t true. The N’W males didn’t kill cubs or attack OM (maybe they chased a few lioness around). Remember when someone said one of the N’W males died?

I also have a lot to say about the Nkuhuma/Dozie/Mopogo stuff but I don't feel like I want to type it all out… lol. 

Now, I read that Dark Mane is outsted from his pride and scavenging. This guy was literally with the Talamatis yesterday (on video, documented) and probably is with them today (actually I’m 100% certain he’s with them right now). He traveled west to visit the younger NKs who weren’t with the pride when they were in Londolozi. 

Anyways I’m done venting, but if people are hearing things on social media please just double check. There’s a difference between real rangers and random people… and even some rangers aren’t always 100% accurate. You have to always wait for reliable sources and ideally videos or pictures before you jump to any conclusions. I know most people here do that but the bad info on social media is just going to keep getting worse I’m afraid. 
4 users Like Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(03-09-2021, 12:03 AM)Gijima Wrote: I also have a lot to say about the Nkuhuma/Dozie/Mopogo stuff but I don't feel like I want to type it all out… lol. 

Do it! Do it!

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-09-2021, 12:03 AM)Gijima Wrote: There’s a difference between real rangers and random people… and even some rangers aren’t always 100% accurate.
Indeed. 

With that statement:

(03-09-2021, 12:03 AM)Gijima Wrote: The N’W males didn’t kill cubs
 I would definitelly hold on as raport of those cubs being killed comes from official source and the cubs hasn't been seen yet since that encounter.

I do not know where you spotted that on: :o

(03-09-2021, 12:03 AM)Gijima Wrote: Now, I read that Dark Mane is outsted from his pride and scavenging

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 12:51 AM by Tonpa )

10Jossie one of the rangers at elephant plains game lodge is saying darkmane was chased out of his pride

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMKl78Dg3OI/
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(03-09-2021, 12:50 AM)Tonpa Wrote: 10Jossie one of the rangers at elephant plains game lodge is saying darkmane was chased out of his pride

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMKl78Dg3OI/

Interesting. I wonder who chased him away.
Hopefully he will return with the Talamati pride
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Gijima Offline

Exactly the post I was referring to. Dark Mane was in EP two days ago right? He was with the Talamti pride yesterday/today. Also it would be males chase other males from prides. This is just for drama/likes.
4 users Like Gijima's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Its mostly people filling in stuff that just isnt in the official reports. 

I noticed people tend to try to twist these animals into the new Lion King. 
There is typically the male lions, refered to as kings. (Even though they are more mobsters if you insist). Which is the ipitome of wisdom, strengt and loyalty. Having mayor battles with the evil outside lions. That are out to kill the cubs and hurt the lionesses. Only to then return home to his loving lionesses. Which he totally doesnt steal their food from. And those growls to the cubs are just to motivate them. 

So, they become thirsty for the latest chapter. And they they read the official reports in a manor that fits that narrative. Where a panicking retreat from a rival group becomes a epic battle. Becouse not only is it more exciting to read. Its also fits better than accepting that in the chaos, lionesses occasionally lose their cubs.. Or that their beloved king hurt his paw while fleeing for his life. 
Or more embarrasing, a lizard becomes a lion bone. 

In reality none of these lions care which coalition they are the offspring off. How epic their life is and or wheter they are the king of their lands. They dont care about the human way of life. They have much more important things to worry about. Like where to get their next meal. Who to mate with. Is this wound healing well? Do their sisters and brothers still like them. And are they and the cubs alright... 

And when the fairy tale narative is broken and some poor young lion doesnt get to live to see the life hyped up for him or her. 
Things can get quite nasty. And I feel for the poor rangers that has to explain that they are not watching a zoo. 

Anyway, those are my feelings on the matter. 

(Note. Something happened to my first draft. Should that one also pop up. Please delete that one. Sorry and thanks in advance.)

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Its not unheard of that lionesses chase off or even kill the local dominant males.

Typically its over food or to protect young cubs. In which cases he is often allowed to return later. Though sometimes the relationship detoriates so much that they split permanently.

I think the reason why its rare is becouse often the pride does not have the numbers to properly fight of the males.

RookiePundit Offline

(03-08-2021, 11:10 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Injured Nkuhuma still with the pride, skinny but leg looks better. 

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenDependable...c8kcysr0DY

There is even better shot few minutes later in the drive, from the back where he is trailing the pride. Yeah , it doesn't look as bad as before. Not great still though.

RookiePundit Offline

(03-09-2021, 01:05 AM)Gijima Wrote: Exactly the post I was referring to. Dark Mane was in EP two days ago right? He was with the Talamti pride yesterday/today. Also it would be males chase other males from prides. This is just for drama/likes.

And for sure Elephant Plains is the reserve who had a first hand info, because Talamatis are on their property all the time, lol.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hey dudes, MalaMalas February Wildlife report is out 

http://malamala.com/game-reports
2 users Like Tonpa's post