There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

RookiePundit Offline

(03-05-2021, 08:59 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: who father the Othawa youngsters?

Sub-adults
sub-adult Male 1 Othawa "Junior" *Mar 2018 in Othawa sired by Majingilanes (Dark Mane)
sub-adut Male 2 *Oct 2018 in Othawa (Sassy) sired by Matimbas (Ginger)
sub-adult Male 3 *Oct 2018 in Othawa (Sassy) sired by Matimbas (Ginger)
sub-adult Female *Oct 2018 in Othawa (Sassy) sired by Matimbas (Ginger)

Still working on it but https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lion-directory?pid=140219#pid140219
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 02:00 PM by Potato )

(03-05-2021, 06:10 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: most probably a Dark Mane Avoca.
You can always easy tell him by that characteristic walk with a head down and by that enormous mane.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Saw a post on facebook apparently from someone who contacted the folks at Singita 

Quote:Hi Dan! We have a lion sighting summary from our team on the ground in our latest wildlife report.
• At the beginning of February the Mhangene pride where comprised of six females, three cubs and the Othawa male. This changed on the morning of the 21st February with the arrival of the four N'waswitshaka lions. The Mhangene pride scattered and the event left us with great concern regarding the wellbeing of the pride and cubs. In the week that followed, the pride slowly re-grouped, but with a chilling discovery… only one cub seems to have survived, and the Othawa male is limping. The four males have returned back to southern Sabi Sand, but will they be back? We have to wait and see!
• The Othawa sub-adults (one female and three males) were viewed a few times last month in the western parts of the property.
• The Styx and Nkuhuma coalition have been found throughout the north and central parts of the property, still nomadic and not marking a territory.
3 users Like Tonpa's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(03-05-2021, 06:47 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Saw a post on facebook apparently from someone who contacted the folks at Singita 

Quote:Hi Dan! We have a lion sighting summary from our team on the ground in our latest wildlife report.
• At the beginning of February the Mhangene pride where comprised of six females, three cubs and the Othawa male. This changed on the morning of the 21st February with the arrival of the four N'waswitshaka lions. The Mhangene pride scattered and the event left us with great concern regarding the wellbeing of the pride and cubs. In the week that followed, the pride slowly re-grouped, but with a chilling discovery… only one cub seems to have survived, and the Othawa male is limping. The four males have returned back to southern Sabi Sand, but will they be back? We have to wait and see!
• The Othawa sub-adults (one female and three males) were viewed a few times last month in the western parts of the property.
• The Styx and Nkuhuma coalition have been found throughout the north and central parts of the property, still nomadic and not marking a territory.
are these facts true ?

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 01:28 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-06-2021, 12:24 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: are these facts true ?

Dont know, N'ws where very short in Singita,maybe not even a full day, so i doubt that they had any contact with Mhanghenis or OM.. If there was any confrontation, 1 vs 4, OM would be dead by now.. I think this is overreaction because N'ws where seen there..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

I do not know where those info come from since yet neiter Singita nor Savanna Lodge posted their wildife raport of February sightings. 

(03-06-2021, 01:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: If there was any confrontation, 1 vs 4, OM would be dead by now
It definitelly possible to survive such confrontation and I could find couple of examples like when Sand River male was cough by 3 of the Majingilanes. Also those post doesn't say that Othawa male was cought by 4 N'was at once. He could for example confront 1 or N'was and then run off.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-06-2021, 02:27 AM)Potato Wrote: I do not know where those info come from since yet neiter Singita nor Savanna Lodge posted their wildife raport of February sightings. 

Quote:If there was any confrontation, 1 vs 4, OM would be dead by now
It definitelly possible to survive such confrontation and I could find couple of examples like when Sand River male was cough by 3 of the Majingilanes. Also those post doesn't say that Othawa male was cought by 4 N'was at once. He could for example confront 1 or N'was and then run off.

Im 99% sure there was no confrontation between N'ws and Mhangenis/OM, we would know for such a thing already, and not 1 week or so later from idk which source, in which also was not stated that there was any confrontation there..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-06-2021, 02:49 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 02:27 AM)Potato Wrote: I do not know where those info come from since yet neiter Singita nor Savanna Lodge posted their wildife raport of February sightings. 

Quote:If there was any confrontation, 1 vs 4, OM would be dead by now

Im 99% sure there was no confrontation between N'ws and Mhangenis/OM, we would know for such a thing already, and not 1 week or so later from idk which source, in which also was not stated that there was any confrontation there..

We did not have any update on Mhangeni pride after N'was were seen in Singita so it is possible that we are getting info on confrontation delayed. We just need to get an update on that pride soon and when we will see if informations ragarding this confrontation is real or not.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I've messaged the poster for some additional information so i'll see what he says.
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Torchwood Pride by mr_t_tracker

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 02:04 PM by Tr1x24 )

Othawa male roaring on Londolozi airstrip:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMEaRK9HVeo/...4c2cs6u4mw

And more in Londolozi, on James Tyrrell instagram story :

*This image is copyright of its original author

It looks like this boy got pissed off.. (also no limp whatsoever, so that was prob false report)..
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Yeah its a mystery, he showed that the message was from the Singita facebook page, maybe they did lose 2 cubs but I think the information about any encounter between the 4 and othawa is just speculation from the guides.
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-06-2021, 02:59 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Yeah its a mystery, he showed that the message was from the Singita facebook page, maybe they did lose 2 cubs but I think the information about any encounter between the 4 and othawa is just speculation from the guides.

I do not see any such post on Singita facebook page :o

https://www.facebook.com/singita.gamereserves

Also as I said ealier their wildlife raports for February hasn't been published yet.
https://singita.com/wildlife

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

It's a direct message, you can see they refer to him directly at the start "Dan"

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I think its important to remember that the raport just lists these things as being observed. That doesn't mean they are related or severe.

Cubs can be found again and limps can heal.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post