There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Brahim Offline
Moderators

All 3 Northern Avocas
Credit: Africa Journey Experience

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Mohawk Avoca
Credit: Uwaiz Patel

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like Brahim's post

United States sundarbans Offline

(03-01-2021, 12:38 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 08:07 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Speaking of the kambulas, does anybody know the whisker patterns of lionesses 1-6?

*This image is copyright of its original author

Nice! Do we know which and how many of the current cubs/subadults belong to each of these lionesses?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-01-2021, 08:24 PM)sundarbans Wrote: Nice! Do we know which and how many of the current cubs/subadults belong to each of these lionesses?

No.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Question regarding breakaway history

So the Kambula pride is a breakaway of the mangheni pride, which is a breakaway of the Tsalala pride, which is a breakaway of the Castleton/Ximungwe pride? correct?

And Talamati pride is a breakaway of the Nkuhuma pride? or the reverse?

How about the other prides? Othawa, Styx, sparta, southern, torchwood?

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-02-2021, 07:18 PM by Tonpa )

Nwaswitshaka males with Southern pride lioness and their offspring 
Photos by fortheloveofcatsjen

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-02-2021, 05:18 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Question regarding breakaway history

So the Kambula pride is a breakaway of the mangheni pride, which is a breakaway of the Tsalala pride, which is a breakaway of the Castleton/Ximungwe pride? correct?

And Talamati pride is a breakaway of the Nkuhuma pride? or the reverse?

How about the other prides? Othawa, Styx, sparta, southern, torchwood?

Yes,not sure about Tsalala's, they where already a pride 20+ yrs ago..

Talamati and prob Torchwoods are also breakeaway from Nkuhumas.

Othawas, Styx, Spartas and Southern Prides are very old prides, so im not sure exactly their origins, Othawas might be related to Castleton or "old" Sand River pride, but im not sure.. 

I think Styx and Sparta prides are the oldest, prob even 30 yrs old prides..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

Yes, Ximhugwe -> Tsalala/Marthly -> Mhangeni -> Ntsevu/Kambula

Also Nkuhuma -> Talamati.

Ximhugwe and Othawa prides were related, I don't remember how though, I think Ximhungwe might came to be as Othawa breakway. I even think a young female managed to success to join another pride (Ximhugwe) in the chaos when Majingilane were taking over the western sector, because of her natal pride being related. Not sure about details and whether it survived at all, i believe it is somewhere in that youtube playlist focused on Othawa pre and post Majingilane takeover, there is too many videos for me to go and dig it form there though.

Which leads me to an idea - certainly there will be people (me included) having questions related to who, when, with whom and what's the origin this and that lion, that may be we could take pride after pride and write down current composition and info about those individuals, people could fill in the missing/uncertain dates and then use Lion Directory thread to post it there with links to respective prides and where posible we could even later add photos with identifiable markers. And may be do it for other private reserves after Sabi Sands what do you think?

I mean something like this using Othawas for example (including pride the individual was born in as mother and coalition who sired the individual for fathers with known or usually suspected parent from those groups in brackets); (group numbers in usual male,female,uknown format):

Othawa Pride (ruled by Tumbela coalition of 3)
Adults 3,3
Sub-adults 3,1 currently somewhat nomadic
Cubs 0,0

Males
Tumbela Male 1 *2015 in Nharu sired by Thanda Impis
Tumbela Male 2 *2015 in Nharu sired by Thanda Impis
Tumbela Male 3 *2015 in Nharu sired by Thanda Impis

Females
Othawa "Auntie" 1 *2006? in Othawa sired by Mapogos
Othawa "Auntie" 2 *2006? in Othawa sired by Mapogos
Othawa "Sassy" *2015 in Othawa (mother deceased) sired by Majingilanes
(littermate of Othawa Male "Nguvu")

Sub-adults
sub-adult Male 1 Othawa "Junior" *Mar 2018 in Othawa sired by Majingilanes (Dark Mane)
sub-adut Male 2 *Oct 2018 in Othawa (Sassy) sired by Matimbas (Ginger)
sub-adult Male 3 *Oct 2018 in Othawa (Sassy) sired by Matimbas (Ginger)
sub-adult Female *Oct 2018 in Othawa (Sassy) sired by Matimbas (Ginger)

As you can see, sometimes I have ? there where I need your help to provide or confirm a date. I have this done for others (pride and nomads present in Sabi Sands and even Manyeleti) with blank spots to fill ofc.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I think a "Sabi sands lion database" thread or something would be awesome, no conversation, just information on pride numbers, lion and lioness origins, whisker patterns and other identifying markers
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Elephant plains lodge week data.

Monday, 22 February 2021
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting on the firebreak close to Simbambili driveway.
One Avoca male lion resting close to Buff Pan.

Thursday, 25 February 2021
The Tsalala lioness and her cub resting on Big Dam wall.

Friday, 26 February 2021
The Nkuhuma pride of lions feeding on an impala kill on Shirley’s open area.

Saturday, 27 February 2021
Three Nkuhuma lionesses resting on the eastern side of Safari airstrip.

Sunday, 28 February 2021
The Ximungwe lioness and her cub resting on Guarri Central Road.
The Tsalala lioness and her cub resting on Seepline East.
3 users Like Tonpa's post

RookiePundit Offline

(03-03-2021, 12:50 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Elephant plains lodge week data.

Monday, 22 February 2021
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting on the firebreak close to Simbambili driveway.

Friday, 26 February 2021

Sunday, 28 February 2021

Elephant Plains getting busy. I wonder how the Ximhungwes and Tsalalas would react if they would meet each other. At roughly same time young leopard female Ndzutini moved away from roughly the same area and was spotted in Mala Mala. Maybe the lion presence, included two secretive nomadic pride might have been a trigger (there is a lot leopard females around anyway though).
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

A good sighting of the Mohawk of the Northern Avoca coalition quenching their thirst on a waterhole at Sabi Sands
Image by: Diressh Parbhoo

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(03-03-2021, 12:50 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Elephant plains lodge week data.

Monday, 22 February 2021

Friday, 26 February 2021

Sunday, 28 February 2021

The Northern area of Sabi Sands is getting interesting as used to be in the past. The same for the western area! 
I hope the Ximhungwe and Tsalala will re-build the once-mighty pride of lions
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-03-2021, 12:33 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: I mean something like this using Othawas for example (including pride the individual was born in as mother and coalition who sired the individual for fathers with known or usually suspected parent from those groups in brackets); (group numbers in usual male,female,uknown format):

I can do something like that next time when i update a map of lions in Sabi Sands..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Dark mane Avoca male vocalizing at Elephant Plains Game Lodge in the Greater Kruger National Park, Sabi Sands
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
3 users Like Timbavati's post