There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 07:32 PM by Tonpa )

"The Othawa male has been pushing in further and further to areas that have until recently been under the control of the Birmingham males.
Mating with Ntsevu lionesses, scent marking and roaring in new parts of the reserve, he’s playing with fire, but in his youth, will he be able to take on the two much older males?
Throw the two Northern Avoca males into the mix as well (that have been seen in exactly the same area recently), and 2021 is looking like a very interesting year for the male lions of Londolozi..."

Photo and text by Londolozi Game Reserve
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 08:05 PM by Tr1x24 )

(03-06-2021, 07:32 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "The Othawa male has been pushing in further and further to areas that have until recently been under the control of the Birmingham males.
Mating with Ntsevu lionesses, scent marking and roaring in new parts of the reserve, he’s playing with fire, but in his youth, will he be able to take on the two much older males?
Throw the two Northern Avoca males into the mix as well (that have been seen in exactly the same area recently), and 2021 is looking like a very interesting year for the male lions of Londolozi..."

Also throw N'ws into the mix, and we might have real bloodbath in central Sabi Sands in 2021..also lets not forget about Nk/Styx and Torchwood young males who are in the same area.

Some Kambula lionesses mating with all those males prob attract them closer to Kambulas and Bboys at their age prob dont have that much energy to patrol all that territory which they patroled before, they are now mostly in central Mala.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(03-06-2021, 08:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 07:32 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "The Othawa male has been pushing in further and further to areas that have until recently been under the control of the Birmingham males.

Also throw N'ws into the mix, and we might have real bloodbath in central Sabi Sands in 2021..also lets not forget about Nk/Styx and Torchwood young males who are in the same area.

Some Kambula lionesses mating with all those males prob attract them closer to Kambulas and Bboys at their age prob dont have that much energy to patrol all that territory which they patroled before, they are now mostly in central Mala.

I think if we throw N'was into the mix then rest of coalitions will just tap out as they do not have numbers to compare with N'was. Birminghams might try to hold their own, but that would be short lived. If N'was will decide to push north, there is no force there to stop them.
4 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Nkuhumas and Avoca males in Londolozi

Photo by James Tyrell 

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-06-2021, 09:12 PM)Potato Wrote: I think if we throw N'was into the mix then rest of coalitions will just tap out as they do not have numbers to compare with N'was. Birminghams might try to hold their own, but that would be short lived. If N'was will decide to push north, there is no force there to stop them

N. Avocas with Dark Mane definitely have a chance vs N'ws, but thats question mark if he will join them.. 

I think that either N'ws or N. Avocas will be the new rulers of Kambulas and central Sabi Sands in future after Bboys, now its only a question how long will Bboys hold their own at this age, and which of N. Avocas or N'ws will make the first move, if N'ws take that area before N. Avocas, then Avocas will prob not risk it against 4 males and they will stay north most likely.. But if N. Avocas take it first, then we might have a party.. 

Lone OM certaintly will have no chance there, as well as Nk/Styx who will prob target OM or Tumbelas, if they stay here.. 

Also what might happen in my opinion, is that Kambula breakeaway moves south into N'ws territory (they are already seen in Sabi Sabi quite often, and thats only "empty" area around them to move in and become territorial) and N'ws "take" them, so they might not move further north them, but Kambula subadults are still 1 year or so away from that,and N'ws might move sooner.. 

But those are only speculations.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brazil Rorre_ Offline

(03-06-2021, 12:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Homem Othawa rugindo na pista de aterrissagem de Londolozi:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMEaRK9HVeo/...4c2cs6u4mw

E mais em Londolozi, na história do Instagram de James Tyrrell:

Parece que esse garoto ficou puto .. (também sem mancar que seja, de modo que foi prob relatório falso) ..

Ctrl C + Ctrl V .... ScarNose kkk
1 user Likes Rorre_'s post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-06-2021, 03:19 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Torchwood Pride by mr_t_tracker

Mr_t_tracker said there where 9 lioness and 5 cubs there (he heard theres 1 more, so 6)..

Finally some update on Torchwood pride numbers.. 

I dont know if Torchwood breakeaways where with them or not, but if they where not, then this 9 + 3/4 breakeaway females are the total 13 Torchwood females, which was their number when the pride was last seen together at the beginning of the 2020.. 

Also, in comments section, people are saying that rangers found carcass of male lion in the area, if thats true, thats very likely old Hairy Belly... But we need to wait for confirmation..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-07-2021, 06:21 AM by Tonpa )

(03-07-2021, 05:32 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Also, in comments section, people are saying that rangers found carcass of male lion in the area, if thats true, thats very likely old Hairy Belly... But we need to wait for confirmation..

It was a big mess created by the admins on the Othawa Pride facebook group. 
Rogerusley posted some pictures of hairybelly on his instagram story and his profile picture is him holding a chameleon. The admins thought the pictures were a tribute to HB and his profile picture was him holding a bone.

They then posted on the facebook group declaring that hairy belly is dead and that his bones were found. After it was pointed out that it was a chameleon the admin deleted the post.
For some reason they decided not to post an apology post for the mistake, so now people think that hairybelly has died and his remains were found.

Aside from that i've not seen anything about a carcass being found, and i'm pretty active on fb lol
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-07-2021, 06:20 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 05:32 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

It was a big mess created by the admins on the Othawa Pride facebook group. 
Rogerusley posted some pictures of hairybelly on his instagram story and his profile picture is him holding a chameleon. The admins thought the pictures were a tribute to HB and his profile picture was him holding a bone.

They then posted on the facebook group declaring that hairy belly is dead and that his bones were found. After it was pointed out that it was a chameleon the admin deleted the post.
For some reason they decided not to post an apology post for the mistake, so now people think that hairybelly has died and his remains were found.

Aside from that i've not seen anything about a carcass being found, and i'm pretty active on fb lol
Unfortunately, these kind of rumours were on Facebook for the last 5 years. HB was been presumed dead more than ten times. I think until someone (SS rangers) provide information about him. We should ignored those post
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

That place is quite obsessed with the old lion. So it doesnt surprise me they are grasping at straws like this..

I do think he is probably death though. Its been around a month since the last update and he was already struggling with keeping fed and his health.

Sadly there is a good chance he will just disappear without a clue of his final fate.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hey guys, I emailed singita sabi sands and they sent me the wildlife reports for January and February (they are having some problems on their website so can't post them on there)

January

• The Mhangene Pride have been a little hard to come by of late as they have explored the far reaches of their territory. Sadly, there are only three cubs, with the youngest suspected to have died within the month. On a positive note, we suspect that one of the older females is now denning, raising a brandnew litter somewhere within the central parts of our property.
• The Styx and Nkuhuma male lions have been a prominent sighting this month, having several successful hunts including another juvenile giraffe. Their bond is growing, although still nomadic it’s an exciting time to witness their development.
• The Matimba male lion was seen several times, once on a giraffe kill (made by the Styx and Nkuhuma lions) and again mid-month at the base of a marula tree, clawing the trunk to reach a hoisted impala kill. 

February

• At the beginning of the month the Mhangene pride were comprised of six females, three cubs and the Othawa male. This changed on the morning of the 21st February with the arrival of the four N'waswitshaka lions. The Mhangene pride scattered, and the event left us with great concern regarding the wellbeing of the pride and cubs. In the week that followed, the pride slowly re-grouped, but with a chilling discovery… only one cub seems to have survived, and the Othawa male is limping. The four males have returned back to southern Sabi Sand, but will they be back?
• The Othawa sub-adults (one female and three males) were viewed a few times this month in the western parts of the property.
• The Styx and Nkuhuma coalition have been found throughout the north and central parts of the property, still nomadic and not marking a territory. 

"On the 21st February, four new lions walked onto our property – The N'waswitshaka lions. The sighting started when we located two of the six Mhangene lionesses at the far south-eastern waterhole in the reserve. As we stopped the vehicle, it was clear that these lionesses were highly distressed, glancing back every few seconds and then stumbling forward in a panicked dash. Confused anxiety whirled around us like a thick smoky cloud only to be abruptly broken by the loud, unmistakable gut-wrenching roar of mature male lions. Fleeting paws ran past us and we continued to the source of the chaos. As we rounded the corner onto our main road, we were met by the four N'waswitshaka lions. Projecting a dominance and supremacy with every step, puzzle pieces began to fall together and the shock and fear resonating from the lionesses began to make sense. Could this be the dawn of a new era of lions at Singita Sabi Sand? "
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

RookiePundit Offline

There was semi-update a while back end of February/start of March-ish when Tristan Dicks had a guest (through "Ticket to a dream" whatever that is) with him on a sunset WE drive. They were talking about the local big cats a lot, Jenn, the guest, is an avid viewer for some time obviously, knowing prides and indivuals and she was at othe properties before that drive so she provided some updates o nrecent sightings. About HB she said that he found himself a safe space - I assume in Mala Mala but there is no way to know how recent her info was (unless you would ask her I guess). So I assume HB lives in a secluded place in Mala Mala until he doesn't.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

So the news of N'was chassing around Mhangeni pride is true in the end.

(03-07-2021, 09:18 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: They were talking about the local big cats a lot, Jenn, the guest, is an avid viewer for some time obviously, knowing prides and indivuals and she was at othe properties before that drive so she provided some updates o nrecent sightings. About HB she said that he found himself a safe space - I assume in Mala Mala but there is no way to know how recent her info was (unless you would ask her I guess). So I assume HB lives in a secluded place in Mala Mala until he doesn't.
At that stage main consern for HB will be to find enough food to survive on his own. I do not think he will be able to do so and it seem that he is on the very end of his wildlife road.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 03:43 AM by Tonpa )

Styx Females with one of the Nwaswitshaka males
Only two females, hoping the 3rd is denning somewhere!
Photos by Jen @fortheloveofcatsjen

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Southern Pride Lioness and her cubs - they seem to really like this rock perch 
Photos by Sabi Sabi reserve