There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-30-2022, 02:57 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Tried to have a look back through Kruger sightings twitter feed looking for the females he was with in the Manyeleti on the roads near Mluwati concession but didn't find them. I did find a sighting of our boy up on S140, but he was already alone at this point in April 2021

Whoa, @Tonpa , great work my friend!!
4 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2022, 05:24 AM by BA0701 )

S8 on patrol, a little roaring, and sneezing like a zebra apparently. Video of the images @Tonpa posted.

7 users Like BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2022, 03:58 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-30-2022, 02:57 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Tried to have a look back through Kruger sightings twitter feed looking for the females he was with in the Manyeleti on the roads near Mluwati concession but didn't find them. I did find a sighting of our boy up on S140, but he was already alone at this point in April 2021

This guy has quite a history already in this area. 

He was first seen in Manyeleti in October 2020 (Edit: 1 more video before this one, from June) with his sisters, video here :

*This image is copyright of its original author

But after that he was seen alone, looks like his sisters returned to natal pride. 

Because of that i think they must of been breakaway group from neighbouring pride in Mluwati Concession, most likely Imbali, Imbali breakaway, (Einstein or how its called) or Hamiltons, although maybe from other near by prides also, they where most likely "avoiding" Imbali/s8 and Hamiltons males who came in Mluwati Concession in 2019 as new territorial males after Mluwati males vacant this area.

After that, he was seen with DM on a kill in very late 2020, then in early 2021 seen having interaction with Ximhungwe female and her daughter at Simbambili, then he was seen getting beat up by 2 Skybed sons near Imbali, "luckly" got saved by Imbali/s8 male who heard noise and chased 2 Skybed sons. 

Then he was mostly seen near Imbali pride, even with Imbali/s8 male few times, and with Silver Eyed Talamati female. 

And now was seen with Nkuhumas. 

So, this guy surviving on his own for ~2 years, especially as he was "left" alone at around age of 2- 2.5 (i dont think he is older then 2.5 yrs at this video above, should be around 4-4.5 now) is quite impressive. 

This guy definitely knows how to survive, hope he finds parters or stays with Nkuhuma subs.
11 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(10-30-2022, 05:50 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

He was first seen in Manyeleti in October 2020, with his sisters, video here :

But after that he was seen alone, looks like his sisters returned to natal pride. 

Because of that i think they must of been breakaway group from neighbouring pride in Mluwati Concession, most likely Imbali, Imbali breakaway, (Einstein or how its called) or Hamiltons, although maybe from other near by prides also, they where most likely "avoiding" Imbali/s8 and Hamiltons males who came in Mluwati Concession in 2019 as new territorial males after Mluwati males vacant this area.

After that, he was seen with DM on a kill in very late 2020, then in early 2021 seen having interaction with Ximhungwe female and her daughter at Simbambili, then he was seen getting beat up by 2 Skybed sons near Imbali, "luckly" got saved by Imbali/s8 male who heard noise and chased 2 Skybed sons. 

Then he was mostly seen near Imbali pride, even with Imbali/s8 male few times, and with Silver Eyed Talamati female. 

So, this guy surviving on his own for ~2 years, especially as he was "left" alone at around age of 2- 2.5 (i dont think he is older then 2.5 yrs at this video above, should be around 4-4.5 now) is quite impressive. 

This guy definitely knows how to survive, hope he finds parters or stays with Nkuhuma subs.

Absolutely riveting stuff! I remember asking about him some time after the Dark Mane interaction, and he hadn't been heard from for a while, speculation being he might have returned to his natal lands, or perhaps worse. Now, we find him with the Nkuhuma subs. One thing he certainly seems to have a penchant for is befriending territorial males, given his interactions with Dark Mane and S8. No small feat, and I was super impressed at how calm he was in feeding with Dark Mane, like they were old buds. This guy impresses more with each new sighting.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(10-30-2022, 05:50 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

He's in one of the earlier ones too, June 2020

Would be nice to find out where those lionesses ended up, should solve this mystery! I tried looking at Imbali & Hamilton females but didn't find the two girls in the October video
7 users Like Tonpa's post

Super Moderator

(10-29-2022, 02:15 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Looks like he joined the Nkuhuma subs on a kill 

I see several people in the comments saying how much he resembles Mohawk. I, personally, don't see it, but if he was related it would explain a whole lot about what we've been seeing with him.
2 users Like BA0701's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-30-2022, 05:50 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: [qdateline='1667078831']

In the October video, Neil is heard saying it was at least two males.   And how he thought initially he thought it was the Skorro breakaways but they seemed too young.   

I think I made the wrong assumption back then also
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Tsalala princess :

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Summary!

8 users Like afortich's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-01-2022, 11:18 PM by Timbavati )

The last Ximhungwe lionesS and the Othawa sub-adult lioness at Inyati Game Lodge
PC: Roger Hlongwane
Western Sabi Sands, posted| 01.11.22

14 users Like Timbavati's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

7 users Like afortich's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Southern Pride and Gijimas:

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Fierce and no kidding kings visit their recently acquired territory west of Sabi Sands.

The Plains Camp Males. Born in 2017, they achieved a bad reputation, warriors who only know how to accomplish the mission no matter how dangerous it is.

Idube, South Africa.
Photographer Credit: @lbosch
9 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Southern Pride sisters playing :