There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Summary.

7 users Like afortich's post

RookiePundit Offline

Nkuhuma is getting quite tall, considering he is next to Nhenha for comparison.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

abbeyster Offline

Hello,

Has anyone seen Sassy Ottawa Lioness? The last picture, maybe over a week ago,I saw she looks very bad shape. Sad

thanks

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2022, 02:11 AM by afortich )

(11-12-2022, 01:44 AM)abbeyster Wrote: Hello,

Has anyone seen Sassy Ottawa Lioness? The last picture, maybe over a week ago,I saw she looks very bad shape. Sad

thanks

It seems that she is dead Sad . See Othawa thread.
3 users Like afortich's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

thanks

From what I heard. Sassy passed away
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

No reports for nearly two weeks now. Seeing her situation some are already confident enough in declaring her death.
But as often is the case in these cases, nothing is confirmed.

In any case, I wouldnt keep my hopes up.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

abbeyster Offline

(11-12-2022, 02:10 AM)Timbavati Wrote:

thanks

From what I heard. Sassy passed away

I know there are people who think animals do not mourn but I believe she was mourning. She lost her two aunts in a short period of time, lost two of the five cubs. Got attacked at least twice. I think she just could not handle anymore. She lost the will to live. So much death, so many prides just gone, so many on the verge of extinction.
3 users Like abbeyster's post

United States sik94 Online
Sikander Hayat

(11-12-2022, 03:24 AM)abbeyster Wrote: I know there are people who think animals do not mourn but I believe she was mourning. She lost her two aunts in a short period of time, lost two of the five cubs. Got attacked at least twice. I think she just could not handle anymore. She lost the will to live. So much death, so many prides just gone, so many on the verge of extinction.

A little anthropomorphic don't you think? Even if animals do mourn, she definitely didn't get to because she was too busy trying to keep the subs and herself alive with threats everywhere. Just trying to survive. Lions don't 'lose the will to live' when a pride member dies, just the circumstances were heavily stacked against her which is unfortunate.
3 users Like sik94's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

This is a bit baffling cause they’re saying near Singita which doesn’t make sense to me?

Comments on FB saying or asking if it could be Dark Mane w The Talamatis .

WARNING: Three male lions have been spotted in the vicinity of Saringwa farms, Elephant Points Road, Lisbon, and Huttington road in Bushbuckridge. All tourists and community members are safe and beware. PC mpumalangawildlife  - 2022.

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Sikander Hayat

(11-12-2022, 04:41 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: This is a bit baffling cause they’re saying near Singita which doesn’t make sense to me?

Comments on FB saying or asking if it could be Dark Mane w The Talamatis .

WARNING: Three male lions have been spotted in the vicinity of Saringwa farms, Elephant Points Road, Lisbon, and Huttington road in Bushbuckridge. All tourists and community members are safe and beware. PC mpumalangawildlife  - 2022.

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like sik94's post

Contributor

They do mourn. But animals process emotions a lot better than humans, which tend to get stuck in the past, cultural expectations and entitlements.
Most animals adapt and go on with their lives pretty quickly. Even though they carry the lessions with them for the rest of their lives.
On the other side, if an animal goes missing, contact calling may continue for a long time and some animals can handle it better than others 

In Sassys case however, we need to remember that even for lion standards the past few months were brutal and that she abandoned the subs shows she was struggling already back then. I can easily see her having some animal version of a stress related mental breakdown of some sort.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Sikander Hayat

(11-12-2022, 06:00 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: On the other side, if an animal goes missing, contact calling may continue for a long time and some animals can handle it better than others 

That's more of an instinctual mourning rather than the emotional mourning or grieving humans go through. For example, a lioness will contact call for her missing cub and look for them because of instinct and the biological changes she experiences after birth giving birth. Lionesses don't show any signs of grieving after a few days, it's more akin to separation anxiety than mourning where as humans never quite get over the loss of a close family member.

BigLion39 Offline

(11-12-2022, 04:41 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: This is a bit baffling cause they’re saying near Singita which doesn’t make sense to me?

Im pretty sure DM and his sons were photoed on a Buffalo kill with Mohawk at the same time of the pictures 3 males outside Kruger Park.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Contributor

Emotions are merely how instincts express themselves so the two are pretty much one and the same. 

Grief does last a long time. The crying and signs of stress may stop after a few days, both for humans and animals.But the death of children will impact them for their entire life.

Afteral the evolutionary point of grief is to punish for mistakes and force us to do better. And by doing so improves the odds of the next litter to make it. It cant do that if it goes away after a few days.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hope they manage to get those 3 back into the park. It's close to S3 road in Kruger
5 users Like Tonpa's post