There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Southern Pride and 2/2 Gijima males

15 users Like lionuk's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2022, 07:35 PM by Mdz123 )

(10-08-2022, 04:18 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 03:21 PM)Tonpa Wrote: At work so can't grab the clip, but southern pride female looks pretty pregnant. Can see her mammary glands full 

https://instagram.com/stories/ok_snaps/2...DJmNzVkMjY=

Nice footage, can you make it as video and post it? It will be lost soon as its story.

Young SP females trying to play with Gijimas, its incredible how 2 males adopted them.

Hopefully Gijimas can hold on to the Southern pride for a long time so the 2 younger females can start rebuilding the pride with their mother. Southern pride used to be the biggest pride SS with like 10+ adult females and I hope they can achieve this glory again in the future
9 users Like Mdz123's post

Cath2020 Offline

Is it my imagination, or was the Southern Lioness contact calling and looking around?  Then, I heard a few cub-like calls!  When did she start mating with the Gijimas?  Her daughters only turned 2 last month!  She came into estrous very soon, so she must have had confidence in these males for awhile now around her daughters and in protecting them!  And it shows that she must be very sure about their abilities to hunt/look out for themselves much of the time.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

United States sundarbans Offline

Did the Southern pride have any cubs with the Ndzengha males? If yes, are any of them surviving or have the Gijimas killed them?
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

@sundarbans  yes two daughters of 2 years old. The Gijimas seem to have accepted them.
2 users Like Mabingilane's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 08:03 PM by Tonpa )

Lions
  • The Plains Camp male lions have truly stamped their authority on the central and western parts of the Sabi Sand pushing the Nkuhuma and Birmingham males back east.
  • This hasn’t boded well for the Othawa Pride as the pride is now down to a single lioness and two of her sub-adults. [Report error : Three subs are alive]
  • The Mhangene Pride seem to have spotted an opportunity to push back west as their pride of just four lionesses is now the largest pride of females, of the three prides in the area. They are looking in great condition and hopefully will be making a comeback to the numbers that they once were.
  • A recent discovery of a newborn cub, just days old, from one of the two Nkuhuma lionesses has everyone excited at Singita. The cub was seen right in the heart of Singita along the Mobeni drainage. We will give them the space they deserve during these early stages of the cub’s life.

https://singita.com/2022/09/singita-sabi...ember-2022
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(10-11-2022, 07:11 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Lions
  • The Plains Camp male lions have truly stamped their authority on the central and western parts of the Sabi Sand pushing the Nkuhuma and Birmingham males back east.
  • This hasn’t boded well for the Othawa Pride as the pride is now down to a single lioness and two (Three) of her sub-adults.
  • The Mhangene Pride seem to have spotted an opportunity to push back west as their pride of just four lionesses is now the largest pride of females, of the three prides in the area. They are looking in great condition and hopefully will be making a comeback to the numbers that they once were.
  • A recent discovery of a newborn cub, just days old, from one of the two Nkuhuma lionesses has everyone excited at Singita. The cub was seen right in the heart of Singita along the Mobeni drainage. We will give them the space they deserve during these early stages of the cub’s life.

Was the Mhangeni female with cubs confirmed btw? Wonder if it wasn't a misidentification of Amber eyes?
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

• This hasn’t boded well for the Othawa Pride as the pride is now down to a single lioness and two (Three) of her sub-adults.

My friend, what does "two (Three) of her sub-adults" mean, is she down to two cubs or 3 now?
3 users Like BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(10-11-2022, 07:58 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

My friend, what does "two (Three) of her sub-adults" mean, is she down to two cubs or 3 now?

My fault lol, they wrote two, I put three in brackets since three are alive. I'll make it clearer
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(10-11-2022, 08:02 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 07:58 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

My fault lol, they wrote two, I put three in brackets since three are alive. I'll make it clearer

Thank you Tonpa, much appreciated. With the year we've seen so far, for lions in 2022, nothing would shock me at this point.
3 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

S8 Imbali looking good, scent marking!!

12 users Like afortich's post

Australia WARRIOR7 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2022, 04:16 PM by WARRIOR7 )

Tumebla male has been spotted .
Love him ...such a beautiful Male...
Good to see him ! 
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cjm6hOlIi...mMyMTA2M2Y=

Attached Files Image(s)

12 users Like WARRIOR7's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Southern Pride continues to rebuild.

“While sitting with a large herd of buffalo, we got audio of soft contact calls from lions. We immediately followed in the direction of the calls, and we were rewarded with the two younger Southern Pride females and the younger Gijima male. The two females were still looking into the distance, the contact calls continued. Eventually the older female appeared. The greeting of the females was a special moment; all three rubbing noses. 

We have a suspicion that the older Southern Pride female has given birth in the past week or so as she often leaves the pride - we suspect to feed her newly born cub/s and returns. The area in which we think the cubs to be, has been closed off to vehicles to give them space to grow with no vehicle pressure.”

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

In the Mangheni thread someone posted a video of one of the PCM with a lioness of the pride. But what caught my attention was that the male's face was a mess and he also had wounds on his legs.

It seems too much to have been over mating rights and Nhenha was seen alone after the PCM chased his coalition out of the Western sector again so... Was the Nkuhuma male seen after that clash?
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-13-2022, 12:18 AM)Mapokser Wrote: In the Mangheni thread someone posted a video of one of the PCM with a lioness of the pride. But what caught my attention was that the male's face was a mess and he also had wounds on his legs.

It seems too much to have been over mating rights and Nhenha was seen alone after the PCM chased his coalition out of the Western sector again so... Was the Nkuhuma male seen after that clash?

There’s been two sightings posted of Nkuhuma since.   Not saying they were taken afterwards as we know how these things go.

@Tonpa just posted a video of the Birminghams together in Mala Mala .   I’m waiting to hear from photographer as to when it was taken.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post