There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Kambulas and Nhenha in Londolozi 

https://www.instagram.com/stories/danhir...234/?hl=en
4 users Like Tonpa's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2021, 11:57 PM by BigLion39 )

@Mdz123...

That makes no sense. Your saying g Nhena cannot hunt properly at 11 yrs old? What? So hairy Belly at 14 yrd old didn't bring down that huge buffalo with the pride while he had a bum leg, old, a little skinnier, teeth more worn? Come on? So Loonkito, at 17 years old, he must not eat because he can't hunt? Wonder how he survived to 17 years old? Wow. Where are you getting your logic from? Bob Marley,at 12/13 years old, a legend in the Mara, dug out that warthog all by his lonesome. Took him like 6 hours!
4 users Like BigLion39's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-10-2021, 11:55 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: @Mdz123...

That makes no sense. Your saying g Nhena cannot hunt properly at 11 yrs old? What? So hairy Belly at 14 yrd old didn't bring down that huge buffalo with the pride while he had a bum leg, old, a little skinnier, teeth more worn? Come on? So Loonkito, at 17 years old, he must not eat because he can't hunt? Wonder how he survived to 17 years old? Wow. Where are you getting your logic from? Bob Marley,at 12/13 years old,  a legend in the Mara,  dug out that warthog all by his lonesome. Took him like 6 hours!

I exaggerated a bit there, Just that Nhena didn’t participate in one hunt made me think that he cant hunt anymore at that age. But, as @"Timbavati" said, he is still in excellent condition and can hunt very well. I did not know that any lion can hunt well if they are in excellent physical conditon, despite being old. My main worry right now is about Tinyo, he has been missing for more then a month.
2 users Like Mdz123's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(12-10-2021, 08:21 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: If I’m not mistaken, these are the last images captured of Tinyo?   He looked well, healthy.
I agree. I must say Tinyo looked in a fantastic shape in that footage. So did Nhenda I don't think anything had happened to him and that he's still with us. Someone had even claimed to have had seen him two weeks' ago, which isn't long ago. Maybe he's just keeping a low profile with Kambula lionesses and cubs.
5 users Like lionuk's post

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(12-10-2021, 11:37 PM)Slayerd Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 09:03 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 08:21 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 06:35 PM)lionuk Wrote: Again, no sign of Tinyo, which is very concerning..

If I’m not mistaken, these are the last images captured of Tinyo?   He looked well, healthy.  

What was the date of that video? He was clearly not ill, but he disappeared right around the time the N'was marched through their territory.

I think it's becoming obvious that it was Tinyo's dissappearance that invited the N'waswitshaka and forced Nhenha to go east. The N'waswitshaka, Avocas and not even the Plains Camp Males showed signs of having killed a male. There are more ways than lion fights for lions to die. We saw reports of the two Bboys being separated during the invasion but it might have just been one male. Nhenha must have made an attempt at keeping the 4 males out with roaring but retreated east with the core pride and cubs.
Well if Nhenha has not been with Tinyo, he has been very wise retreating to the east, he alone could not face the Nw's and much less alert with a roar his position would have exposed the pride of Kambula and the cubs.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Male lions are bad hunters. The only thing going for them is strength and once that leaves them, it leaves them in a bad spot as they need a lot of food to keep it up.

Hairy Belly was to old to hunt at his age.
He may have took down that Buffalo. But that was with help and before the Tumbellas took over the pride that fed him. Not long after most of his days were largely spend roaming the reserve, desperatly looking for food and a new place to live while slowly starving to death.

The Birminghams may be in a similar position right now.
Looking healthy now while they are being fed. But once that falls away. They may find themselves unable to hunt succesfully on their own and start to decline rapidly.
Its a very vulnerable age.

On the otherhand. They aren't that old.
Earlier this year they managed to kill the Othawa male and they did succesfully rebuff the Avocas.
So its clear that right now they are still a force to be reckoned with. And if it was indeed age catching up to one of them. We would have seen photos of it.

If he just disapeared. It likely was a not age related sudden death.

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(12-11-2021, 12:15 AM)lionuk Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 08:21 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: If I’m not mistaken, these are the last images captured of Tinyo?   He looked well, healthy.
I agree. I must say Tinyo looked in a fantastic shape in that footage. So did Nhenda I don't think anything had happened to him and that he's still with us. Someone had even claimed to have had seen him two weeks' ago, which isn't long ago. Maybe he's just keeping a low profile with Kambula lionesses and cubs.

Surely this will be, because in Nw's attack on the Kambula pride, if I am not mistaken there were only 3 lionesses, two of them were the mothers and the young were not with them, so it is possible that Tinyo, the other mother and cubs keep a low profile, while Nhenha and the rest of the herd attract Nw's attention and keep danger away from the cubs.
1 user Likes Calvitoo's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(12-11-2021, 01:31 AM)Calvitoo Wrote:

Surely this will be, because in Nw's attack on the Kambula pride, if I am not mistaken there were only 3 lionesses, two of them were the mothers and the young were not with them, so it is possible that Tinyo, the other mother and cubs keep a low profile, while Nhenha and the rest of the herd attract Nw's attention and keep danger away from the cubs.

This is incorrect, the two lionesses that interacted with the N'waswitshaka were Kambula #4 and Kambula #6. The 2 lionesses that had been mating with the two Avocas this year and one is the infertile lioness. None of the 3 mothers were there.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(12-11-2021, 02:04 AM)Slayerd Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 01:31 AM)Calvitoo Wrote:

This is incorrect, the two lionesses that interacted with the N'waswitshaka were Kambula #4 and Kambula #6. The 2 lionesses that had been mating with the two Avocas this year and one is the infertile lioness. None of the 3 mothers were there.
Sorry, I already said I wasn't sure, thanks for correcting me.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-10-2021, 11:37 PM)Slayerd Wrote: I think it's becoming obvious that it was Tinyo's dissappearance that invited the N'waswitshaka and forced Nhenha to go east.
Acording to Mala Mala both Birminghams were at Mala Mala when Nwas set their invasion. It is obvious that as a strong coalition in prime Nwas are just looking for the options to expand and they do not see presence of Birminghams and Northern Avocas as strong enough to stop them so they lay their claim over region.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Yesterday we arrived at the world renowned Djuma game reserve for our last Safari to Djuma.

Our afternoon drive started off slow but eventually we found 2 male lions on a Buffalo kill (The S8 male and a young male from the Talamati pride).

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Potato's post

RookiePundit Offline

(12-10-2021, 11:55 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: @Mdz123...

That makes no sense. Your saying g Nhena cannot hunt properly at 11 yrs old? What? So hairy Belly at 14 yrd old didn't bring down that huge buffalo with the pride while he had a bum leg, old, a little skinnier, teeth more worn? Come on? So Loonkito, at 17 years old, he must not eat because he can't hunt? Wonder how he survived to 17 years old? Wow. Where are you getting your logic from? Bob Marley,at 12/13 years old,  a legend in the Mara,  dug out that warthog all by his lonesome. Took him like 6 hours!

Well, Mara is bit irrelevant, that is a different population with bit different genetic composition. And Mara has a policy of invasive vet treatment prolonging marketed male characters' lives and keeping them in good condition artificially to high age. Nothing like that in Kruger, private properties included, unless it is a man made problem like snares.

RookiePundit Offline

(12-11-2021, 01:23 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: And if it was indeed age catching up to one of them. We would have seen photos of it.

Agreed. But that part I left in the quote made me chuckle a bit, because we are talking about Tinyo here and he looked like age caught up with him for ages, it was kind of his standard look :)
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

What a gorgeous male lion! An indomitable beast in all his glory. The Imbali/S8 male feeding on a buffalo kill with one of the Talamati sub-adults males.
Photo credit: Legend  Safaris

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like T I N O's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(12-11-2021, 02:52 AM)Potato Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 11:37 PM)Slayerd Wrote: I think it's becoming obvious that it was Tinyo's dissappearance that invited the N'waswitshaka and forced Nhenha to go east.
Acording to Mala Mala both Birminghams were at Mala Mala when Nwas set their invasion. It is obvious that as a strong coalition in prime Nwas are just looking for the options to expand and they do not see presence of Birminghams and Northern Avocas as strong enough to stop them so they lay their claim over region.

They actually never stated both males were accounted for. In fact, a ranger said he last saw the older Gowrie Male in October. Prior to the N'waswitshaka invasion. Only Nhenha was seen roaring a response. They said a male was seen to the east near the Kruger Border and they don't know where his brother was. Londolozi repeats this in their videos. We all thought it was Tinyo and Nhenha was west near the border but it could have just been Nhenha. It was also stated by Londolozi that prior to the N'waswitshaka invasion many days before, the Bboys vacated Londolozi which caused two N'waswitshaka males to investigate, those two N'waswitshaka were Amahle and Gore. Then afterwards the 4 N'waswitshaka males invaded. There was no obvious reason as to why the Bboys would suddenly decide to vacate Londolozi prior to the N'waswitshaka putting on any pressure. Perhaps the reason is because Nhenha was alone now and he decided to vacate.