There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

lionuk Offline
Contributor

The second date between the Ndhzenga males and the Kambula pride @Calvitoo 

8 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The Nkuchuma male has to flee from Sabi Sands or he will be vivtim of the competition bewteen male lion coalition around. As a single male he does not have much of a possiblitys to either avoid or hold on in confrontation with other males. Othawa male could have do it, but his times 2018-2021 were easier than the current ones and I do not see Nkuchuma male repeating that. He is currently pinned in betweed PC males, Tumbelas and N'was and it is only matter of time before Mhangeni pride will bring attention to at least one of those coalitions and that could easly turn into disaster for Nkuchuma male.

As for N'was it seems they are in full control over the lands on which Birminghams used to operate in the past. Avocas also seemd to switch their movement further south avoiding further confrontations with N'was. It will be intresting to see how will look like further development of dynamic in Kambula pride and Birmingham coalition.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

(12-05-2021, 08:24 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:15 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The poor guy is camping between two hostile camps. The Mhangeni. Which is probably hoping to join, but in reality have no interest in male companionship and constantly attack him when he gets to close. And the PC males, which are far more aggressive and likely wont hesitate to kill him if given an opportunity.

If he insists on staying there. One of them one of those two will eventually succeed in getting rid of him permanently.

The guide just mentioned that he wasn't sure if the Mhangeni were responsible.  So, we cannot assume it's the pride that did that to his back legs.  It's more than likely male lions, judging by the fact that this happens more often between rival males.   It was also mentioned that it doesn't appear that the Nkuhuma Male stole anything from them because he's looking quite full while they are decidedly not!  Just look at the youngest cubs.  As a result of this, I'm making the call that the Mhangheni had probably nothing to do with his injuries over a kill or otherwise.  He's also not of the character to be a threat to them as he so far has not tried to invade or kill their youngest cubs.  One male trying to be aggressive and get attacked by the whole pride is unusual, and it certainly wasn't over food recently.  Plus, his injuries were recent.  I'd bet it's all the rival coalitions around SS.  He got caught as lone males often do.  Thankfully, it wasn't fatal this time.....

I was more commenting on his general situation than on the specific origin of his current wounds. I agree he probably had a run in with the PC males.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(12-05-2021, 08:59 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:24 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:15 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The poor guy is camping between two hostile camps. The Mhangeni. Which is probably hoping to join, but in reality have no interest in male companionship and constantly attack him when he gets to close. And the PC males, which are far more aggressive and likely wont hesitate to kill him if given an opportunity.

If he insists on staying there. One of them one of those two will eventually succeed in getting rid of him permanently.

The guide just mentioned that he wasn't sure if the Mhangeni were responsible.  So, we cannot assume it's the pride that did that to his back legs.  It's more than likely male lions, judging by the fact that this happens more often between rival males.   It was also mentioned that it doesn't appear that the Nkuhuma Male stole anything from them because he's looking quite full while they are decidedly not!  Just look at the youngest cubs.  As a result of this, I'm making the call that the Mhangheni had probably nothing to do with his injuries over a kill or otherwise.  He's also not of the character to be a threat to them as he so far has not tried to invade or kill their youngest cubs.  One male trying to be aggressive and get attacked by the whole pride is unusual, and it certainly wasn't over food recently.  Plus, his injuries were recent.  I'd bet it's all the rival coalitions around SS.  He got caught as lone males often do.  Thankfully, it wasn't fatal this time.....

I was more commenting on his general situation than on the specific origin of his current wounds. I agree he probably had a run in with the PC males.

I agree in so far that he does still have to be cautious as a single male with prides consisting of more than a few females though, since he cannot simply go waltzing in, claiming territory and the pride.  He is very handicapped with no partner.  Better for his health if he targets smaller, out-of-the-way prides, or tries to form an alliance sooner rather than later.  He seems intent on tailing the Mhangheni, though, as he has been for months.  Let's see what the PC Males will ultimately do.  They appear to be getting much more aggressive.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(12-05-2021, 08:49 PM)Potato Wrote: The Nkuchuma male has to flee from Sabi Sands or he will be vivtim of the competition bewteen male lion coalition around. As a single male he does not have much of a possiblitys to either avoid or hold on in confrontation with other males. Othawa male could have do it, but his times 2018-2021 were easier than the current ones and I do not see Nkuchuma male repeating that. He is currently pinned in betweed PC males, Tumbelas and N'was and it is only matter of time before Mhangeni pride will bring attention to at least one of those coalitions and that could easly turn into disaster for Nkuchuma male.

As for N'was it seems they are in full control over the lands on which Birminghams used to operate in the past. Avocas also seemd to switch their movement further south avoiding further confrontations with N'was. It will be intresting to see how will look like further development of dynamic in Kambula pride and Birmingham coalition.

I think so.  He should flee while he still can.  I wouldn't be surprised if the lone Othawa Breakaway Male succumbed to injuries in an attack.  He all but disappeared off the radar!  Gone, not one clue as to where he is, if still alive, hiding out somewhere.  Four lions died/disappeared somewhat mysteriously this year recently in SS: Tsalala Lioness, Ximhungwe Sub, Styx Young Male, Othawa Breakaway Young Male.  

The PC Males seem to be biding their time, eliminating lions here and there, settling more permanently in the middle of such tumultuous territories.  I'm worried about the Tumbelas as well.  Those two males need to stick together and patrol regularly.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-05-2021, 11:01 PM by Slayerd )

(12-05-2021, 09:24 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:49 PM)Potato Wrote: The Nkuchuma male has to flee from Sabi Sands or he will be vivtim of the competition bewteen male lion coalition around. As a single male he does not have much of a possiblitys to either avoid or hold on in confrontation with other males. Othawa male could have do it, but his times 2018-2021 were easier than the current ones and I do not see Nkuchuma male repeating that. He is currently pinned in betweed PC males, Tumbelas and N'was and it is only matter of time before Mhangeni pride will bring attention to at least one of those coalitions and that could easly turn into disaster for Nkuchuma male.

I think so.  He should flee while he still can.  I wouldn't be surprised if the lone Othawa Breakaway Male succumbed to injuries in an attack.  He all but disappeared off the radar!  Gone, not one clue as to where he is, if still alive, hiding out somewhere.  Four lions died/disappeared somewhat mysteriously this year recently in SS: Tsalala Lioness, Ximhungwe Sub, Styx Young Male, Othawa Breakaway Young Male.  

The PC Males seem to be biding their time, eliminating lions here and there, settling more permanently in the middle of such tumultuous territories.  I'm worried about the Tumbelas as well.  Those two males need to stick together and patrol regularly.
It is known what happened to the Styx Male and Tsalala lioness. The Styx Male died from a severed artery and the Tsalala lioness was probably killed by the PC males and we don't know what happened to the others in your list to say the PC Males did it. If the Styx Male was alive, the Nwalungu males would rule the west. They were constantly chasing the PC Males around. Unfortunately it was not meant to be and now NK male is alone
2 users Like Slayerd's post

RookiePundit Offline

(12-05-2021, 10:17 PM)Slayerd Wrote:

It is known what happened to the Styx Male and Tsalala lioness. The Styx Male died from a severed artery and the Tsalala lioness was probably killed by the PC males and we don't know what happened to the others in your list to say the PC Males did it. If the Styx Male was alive, the Nwalungu males would rule the west. They were constantly chasing the PC Males around. Unfortunately it was not meant to be and now NK male is alone

Well, this is if, but Plain Camps are younger than Nwalungu and back then that meant more than it would now, as they grow in strenght and confidence. Plain Camps are likely to grow into physically stronger males than Nwalungus would be (my guesstimation ofc) and it is not so clear who would get the uppe hand eventually. Nor whether they would even be rivals, PC might move on further with more competition or anything else we wouldn't predict might happen in that alternative universe (injuries and illness perhaps being a factor causing a butterfly effect).

I just hope Plain Camps are not that ruthless as it seems and won't have negative effect on lion population like Mapogos overall had, just in smaller scale. If they really killed Tsalala in a mating attempt that is not a promising sign. Genetic diversity wise their progeny would be great addition to Sabi Sands, they need to figure out how to succesfully reproduce and defend their cubs though, to replace lions meeting their demise because of them (population count of SS will fluctuate and Idk whether it is rather overpuplated or underpopulated, either way some progeny of theirs as a assummingly new source to the gene pool would be nice).
5 users Like RookiePundit's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Perhaps. But we may also have been lulled in a false sense of peace as the region was recovering after the Mapogo disaster. Negating the need for violent conflicts.

They seem to be focused on DM and the Talamatis currently. But with those moving away and the 2 other Avocas taking their spot. They may be encouraged to move onto the Mhangenis instead.

I think once the take over of whichever pride they take is over, the cubs are killed and the pride accepted them. They will settle down in a calmer mindset. Albeit far more ruthless in dealing with Nomads etc in their territory. 

Only once that mating pool is depleted they may start pestering other groups again. Like the Nwaswitshakas are doing now.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Kruger boy up in Imbali 

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

*This image is copyright of its original author

Apparently one of the Mhangeni was spotted alone with backinjuries. I wonder if this is related to the Nkuhuma injuries. 
Source: best_tracker_on_safari on 5 december 2021.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(12-05-2021, 11:40 PM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 10:17 PM)Slayerd Wrote:

Well, this is if, but Plain Camps are younger than Nwalungu and back then that meant more than it would now, as they grow in strenght and confidence. Plain Camps are likely to grow into physically stronger males than Nwalungus would be (my guesstimation ofc) and it is not so clear who would get the uppe hand eventually. Nor whether they would even be rivals, PC might move on further with more competition or anything else we wouldn't predict might happen in that alternative universe (injuries and illness perhaps being a factor causing a butterfly effect).

I just hope Plain Camps are not that ruthless as it seems and won't have negative effect on lion population like Mapogos overall had, just in smaller scale. If they really killed Tsalala in a mating attempt that is not a promising sign. Genetic diversity wise their progeny would be great addition to Sabi Sands, they need to figure out how to succesfully reproduce and defend their cubs though, to replace lions meeting their demise because of them (population count of SS will fluctuate and Idk whether it is rather overpuplated or underpopulated, either way some progeny of theirs as a assummingly new source to the gene pool would be nice).

Off course you're just guessing however based on where they were and how the Nkuhuma and Styx Males were progressing, they would have ousted the 2 Plains Camp males and taken the west for themselves. It's not about alternative universes or guesstimations, it's about how unlucky the Nkuhuma male was and correcting the previous poster that it was not the PC males who killed the Styx Male. It's foolhardy to predict the Plains Camp Males becoming physically stronger males when that is merely as you said a guess. The PC males are younger and the two Nwalungu males would be 5 years old. They would have easily sent the two Plains Camp males off and taken Singita for themselves. The PC males would also have little chance to build their confidence when they've been pushed out unlike in the last few months where they've been left alone.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its how it goes in the wild. One lions demise is another's salvation.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 10:31 AM by Tonpa )

Silver eye still holding on 
By Deon Wessels

10 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Saying that Nwalungus would easly oust PC males is as much of a guess as saying that PC males would oust Nwalungus. There is no way to predict how those would match up on the long run. Initiallly Nwalungus has little advantage, but they were older and therefore had age advantage which would be gone on the long run. Later on tables could change easly. I would also put my pet on PC males on the long run to be more dominant duo, but that is just a guess as good as any other.
5 users Like Potato's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Southern Pride lioness and her two cubs. They were all resting in the shade during the heat of the day and eventually moved into the thickets to perhaps find a cooler area. 
They are doing very well, and hopefully the N'was males come back to them and Styx Pride very soon. 

7 users Like lionuk's post