There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hope we get some updates on the Torchwood pride, it's been two months since they were seen on the livecam, and the Kruger male was up alone in Mluwati concession with no mention of his coalition partner or the pride
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-25-2021, 12:47 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-25-2021, 06:51 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Hope we get some updates on the Torchwood pride, it's been two months since they were seen on the livecam, and the Kruger male was up alone in Mluwati concession with no mention of his coalition partner or the pride

I think they might be pushed a bit north, because of presence of 5th Mantimahle and his son around Nhlanguleni in recent months.

In fact, female mating with Mantimahle son at Lugmag Dam/ Nhlanguleni (it was not at Tshokwane as somebody said) was prob from Torchwood pride.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Could be yeah. There's still lions calling daily around the lodge, would be interesting and unfortunate (with how many cubs they had) if there's been a takeover
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-25-2021, 12:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Could be yeah. There's still lions calling daily around the lodge, would be interesting and unfortunate (with how many cubs they had) if there's been a takeover

Well its hard to know, in October Nkorho posted that they saw both Kruger males after long time and that both are in good condition.

Mluwati Concession also reported in few previous reports that they see Torchwood and Kruger males  on KNP boundary. 

As I said, i think presence of 5th/son near their territory in the past few months, pushed them a bit north.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

1ofCourage Offline

Tsalala sub adult lioness

https://mobile.twitter.com/LIONLOVERS5/s...0853471235
4 users Like 1ofCourage's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Dark mane today, looks like he found the pride. Silvereye is back with them too.
Hopefully the girls can make a kill and they can both eat 
Photos by Peter Maas

*This image is copyright of its original author

10 users Like Tonpa's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 06:49 AM by criollo2mil )

Very very happy to see Silvereye back with Pride.  Hopefully they all catch some good prey and catch a few good meals
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Talamatis left the Manyeleti and came down to Djuma this morning 

Two males, four females and Dark Mane

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 02:03 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-26-2021, 10:44 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Talamatis left the Manyeleti and came down to Djuma this morning 

Looks like 3rd young male is gone, he was not seen in months with his 2 brothers, he was not seen since Imbali male encounter..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

Was watching that. Was the subadults of the Talamatis and they mostly all had some evidence of being in a scrap fairly recently; definite claw and bite marks, nothing too serious although the tail area of one of the sub adult males and the paw of the other male were quite swollen as well. Imo definitely an altercation with other lions. I didn't see Dark Mane get up and move but from the angle of the camera he looks in much the same condition as the pics from yesterday so still no meal for him and these sub adults as yet.

Where the other adult lionesses are is anyone's guess. Would not surprise me if these are now breakaways with DM following suit as he has no other option. Would explain the scuffle marks and generally poor physical condition of these lions. That's just my rather random speculation , anyway.
3 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

To me this guys were a mystery. Their story is one of the most fascinating one. The sons of Split Rock males Scar & Tyson

3 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-26-2021, 02:12 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: Was watching that. Was the subadults of the Talamatis and they mostly all had some evidence of being in a scrap fairly recently; definite claw and bite marks, nothing too serious although the tail area of one of the sub adult males and the paw of the other male were quite swollen as well. Imo definitely an altercation with other lions. I didn't see Dark Mane get up and move but from the angle of the camera he looks in much the same condition as the pics from yesterday so still no meal for him and these sub adults as yet.

Where the other adult lionesses are is anyone's guess. Would not surprise me if these are now breakaways with DM following suit as he has no other option. Would explain the scuffle marks and generally poor physical condition of these lions. That's just my rather random speculation , anyway.

Only 2 adult females are now with subadults and DM, 2 oldest ones, Silver Eyed and her sister, other 3 are for months now with Imbali male and under his territory. 

Talamatis and DM operate in between Imbali male/pride territory and Blondie-Mohawk/Nkuhuma territory, which is not that big with Blondie/Mohawk returning further north again, so hunting opportunities are prob smaller for them without getting in scraps with other lions. 

With mostly subadults and DM (who looks to avoid comfortation with Imbali male) , if Imbali male or massive Imbali pride (20 lions) finds them, they need to run.. 

Its yet to be seen if Talamati breakeaway will be formed or not, when young males leaves, or will subadult females join their mothers and Imbali male.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

That's pretty much much what I just said and you've literally just described a breakaway if, as you say, the other Talamatis are now operating exclusively in Imbali male territory.

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

When a take over is imminent, its fairly common for a few lionesses to flee with the cubs, only to return once those are death or grow old enough to survive on their own. Sometimes the original pride male sticks with them, hoping to avoid his rival himself.

IMHO. The term breakaway pride is one that is being tossed around carelessly a lot. But unless its a group of lionesses that are clearly displaying signs of prefering an unforced seperated existance on their own .I am a bit more sceptical.

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(12-26-2021, 02:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 10:44 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Talamatis left the Manyeleti and came down to Djuma this morning 

Looks like 3rd young male is gone, he was not seen in months with his 2 brothers, he was not seen since Imbali male encounter..

i hope that not true  i hope he still alive
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post