There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

She is on alien terrain for her now. So she may still be searching for a suitable denside rather than already denning.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I'm guessing it was just a big meal she had, but if she is pregnant she won't have suckle marks till the end of June as she mated with Mohawk on February 27th. They also mentioned Othawa male and a bboy but no clue when that was
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(06-02-2021, 05:23 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I'm guessing it was just a big meal she had, but if she is pregnant she won't have suckle marks till the end of June as she mated with Mohawk on February 27th. They also mentioned Othawa male and a bboy but no clue when that was

Also she mated with both Mohawk and Blondie, one after another, not just Mohawk.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(06-02-2021, 06:13 PM)Potato Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 05:23 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I'm guessing it was just a big meal she had, but if she is pregnant she won't have suckle marks till the end of June as she mated with Mohawk on February 27th. They also mentioned Othawa male and a bboy but no clue when that was

Also she mated with both Mohawk and Blondie, one after another, not just Mohawk.

Do you know where that was mentioned?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(06-02-2021, 06:24 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 06:13 PM)Potato Wrote:

Do you know where that was mentioned?

I do not remember. Either Mala Mala monthly reports or Londolozi week in prictures or Legend Safaris facebook posts.
2 users Like Potato's post

South Africa Slayerd Online
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 01:14 AM by Slayerd )

But she would have swollen tits so she just might not be pregnant. When she mated with Mohawk, Princess did not reach maturity yet so it could have been an attempt at protecting her cub from them or a false oestrus. Also Londolozi are so up and down with their reports. Most people I've spoken to said that she hasn't seen the Bboys since the Kambula attack and that she was avoiding all contact with the Othawa Male, so for them to say she suddenly mated with both is odd. Perhaps she is just not in oestrus yet. If she has no suckle marks or swollen tits then perhaps she is just not pregnant.
3 users Like Slayerd's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Ultimately the lives of these animals are largely shrouded in mist. 
We will only know for sure once she has actually given birth. Or someone gets her to pee in a cup for a pregnancy test.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

second video, young sand river cub maybe? It lifts its leg up but I have no clue if its a boy or a girl

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 08:45 PM by Tonpa )

"The Mhangene pride has been seen regularly over the past few days and the cubs have kept guests and Field Guides alike entertained.

The good news is that they still have five cubs in their ranks, two of them approximately three months old and three approximately four months old, ensuring constant playful antics between the two age groups, and occasionally with the adults too - as you can see by this youngster’s great amusement with his mother’s tail"

sounds like they lost 1 cub from each litter, matches the sighting the other day when we only saw two cubs with one lioness
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Cath2020 Offline

(06-03-2021, 02:33 PM)Tonpa Wrote: second video, young sand river cub maybe? It lifts its leg up but I have no clue if its a boy or a girl

Looks like a little male.  He's already developing his furry neck area, and looks quite plump and healthy.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

United States sundarbans Offline

(06-03-2021, 08:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "The Mhangene pride has been seen regularly over the past few days and the cubs have kept guests and Field Guides alike entertained.

The good news is that they still have five cubs in their ranks, two of them approximately three months old and three approximately four months old, ensuring constant playful antics between the two age groups, and occasionally with the adults too - as you can see by this youngster’s great amusement with his mother’s tail"

sounds like they lost 1 cub from each litter, matches the sighting the other day when we only saw two cubs with one lioness

Which of the Mhanghenis are with cubs? The older females or the Majingilane daughters?
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 12:46 AM by Tonpa )

(06-04-2021, 12:20 AM)sundarbans Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 08:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "The Mhangene pride has been seen regularly over the past few days and the cubs have kept guests and Field Guides alike entertained.

Which of the Mhanghenis are with cubs? The older females or the Majingilane daughters?

I'm not sure which lionesss is the mother of the single older cub, it was born before I joined. The mother of the four month old cubs is I believe this lioness, her teeth are worn down on her lower jaw so seems like an older lioness

*This image is copyright of its original author

The mother of the three month old cubs is i think the lioness in first video, can't really see her nose clearly but also looks like it might one of the older lioness, maybe someone else can chime in 

3 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 01:12 AM by Tonpa )

Elephant Plains sightings of the week (featuring Ximungwe cub)

Wednesday, 26 May 2021
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting on Kudu Drift Road.

Thursday, 27 May 2021
The Ximungwe lioness and her cub feeding on an impala kill that they stole from Tiyani, the female leopard, on Guarrie Central Road.

Friday, 28 May 2021
The Talamati pride of lions and 1 Avoca male lion resting on One-eye Pan open area.

Sunday, 30 May 2021
The Ximungwe lioness and her cub resting on Simbambili Dam wall.
8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Pretty cat filled stream this morning, worth a watch if you want some screenshots of the Talamatis and Nkuhumas, both were in Djuma 

Talamatis were at the dam, with full bellies, they couldnt find the kill or darkmane so i'm guessing he was on it - 8 members

Nkuhumas were found a short distance away

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I asked on Facebook and it seems to have ignited a shitstorm there so i'll ask here lol, what's the consensus on who sired the two oldest Talamati females?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post