There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2021, 03:06 PM by Tonpa )

Torchwoods and a Kruger male at Nkorho last night (I think), counted 6 females. Looks like the male has something sticking out of his side, hopefully just a porcupine quill (2:30)

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

*This image is copyright of its original author

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Ximhungwe lioness on her impala carcass. Last week. 
Picture credits: A Tracker

Ximhungwe lioness

Ximhungwe lioness and her cub with impala kill

4 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

In reference to Ximhungwe lioness, how many cubs did she have in her last litter before one survived? I think it was 4..

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-22-2021, 08:54 PM)lionuk Wrote: In reference to Ximhungwe lioness, how many cubs did she have in her last litter before one survived? I think it was 4..

As far as I know, its not know, only this 1 cub was seen.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

India Madujaga Offline
New Join

Y there is no report and pictures of tsalala pride recently and mother picture is missing for a long time is she pregnant hiding somewhere

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

This is her first litter and its always been this lone female cub as far I know. 

She is the sole survivor or a litter of four though. So perhaps you are confusing daughter and mother?

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2021, 01:31 AM by Tonpa )

"What’s next for these youngsters? With new cubs in the Kambula pride (and more on the way) the lionesses are becoming increasingly more aggressive towards them. The young males have bared most the brunt but the young lionesses haven’t been completely spared either."

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2021, 02:01 AM by Tonpa )

Styx Cubs by Helenramackers

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(05-22-2021, 10:52 PM)Madujaga Wrote: Y there is no report and pictures of tsalala pride recently and mother picture is missing for a long time is she pregnant hiding somewhere

Speaking off Tsalala, someone on FB mentioned that this image I posted before looks more like Tsalala lioness and her daughter, what do you guys think? The size seems to match, but I can't tell from the distance 

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(05-23-2021, 02:15 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(05-22-2021, 10:52 PM)Madujaga Wrote: Y there is no report and pictures of tsalala pride recently and mother picture is missing for a long time is she pregnant hiding somewhere

Speaking off Tsalala, someone on FB mentioned that this image I posted before looks more like Tsalala lioness and her daughter, what do you guys think? The size seems to match, but I can't tell from the distance 

Funnily, to be honest, when I saw this pic earlier today, I wasn't totally convinced that those lionesses looked like from Ximhungwe but from Tsalala Pride because the young lioness  on the right side didn't look like that cub from Ximhungwe Pride (face structure and looked older than 15/16 months old).
1 user Likes lionuk's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-23-2021, 02:15 AM)Tonpa Wrote:

It's the Tsalala lioness
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Wonder why they fled so far west, guessing they were squeezed out by the Nkuhumas pushing south
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-23-2021, 03:33 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Wonder why they fled so far west, guessing they were squeezed out by the Nkuhumas pushing south

Probably, its a good move, Singita and west is nowhere near crowded with lions like central Sabi Sands, so they are definetly more safe there..

Hanging near Nkuhumas and Kambulas is definitely risky, Othawa pride with 3 of which are 2 old lionesses is definitely nowhere near dangerous, also Tumbelas are not particulary "hostile" towards other nomadic lions and they might find Tsalala as potential mating oportunity.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

With OM gone its also a lot safer for the cub. Though I do wonder if there is space for a whole new pride there in the long term.. 
The Ximhungwes ended up leaving after being massacred by the Othawas. And the Mhangeni, even if they don't attack themselves may attract trouble in the coming months. 

Ideally all those lone lionesses join up to form a new pride. But sadly just two joining forces is extremely rare. Let alone 4.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post