There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Lion Predation

India Vinod Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-29-2014, 05:08 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

It seems the lion don't believe in "you should not bite off more than you can chew" [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

amazing predatory skills, tfs Pantherinae

1 user Likes Vinod's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Glad you liked it vinod. Yeah lions do hunt hippos sometimes.the Notch boys coalition are spesialists on killing hippos. 
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-30-2014, 01:47 AM by Pckts )

Is Notch still alive, if so,
Will his boys ever kick him out if he gets to weak, or will they most likely allow him to eat till he gets to old?

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: Is Notch still alive, if so,
Will his boys ever kick him out if he gets to weak, or will they most likely allow him to eat till he gets to old?

Notch is still alive, but very good question lions do not share food the strongest do eat and they fight for every meal! But the thing with the notch boys is that they do kill such big prey that there is enough for everyone, but eventually he will get so week that he can't compeate for food. He is now estimated to be 14 years, so he is now old, and would almost serantly be dead if it not was for his sons! 

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2014, 12:55 AM by TheLioness )

This is clearence, very old lion, many people believed h would not make it, however here he is with his buffalo kill, bull?

1 user Likes TheLioness's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(06-29-2014, 05:18 PM)'Vinod' Wrote:

It seems the lion don't believe in "you should not bite off more than you can chew" [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

That lion took down a hippo all by his lonesome? Impressive, if I do say so. 

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-26-2014, 02:41 AM)'chaos' Wrote:
(06-29-2014, 05:18 PM)'Vinod' Wrote:

That lion took down a hippo all by his lonesome? Impressive, if I do say so. 

I highly, highly doubt it.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@chaos the first picture ISAF one of the notch boys, and I do not know the storry about the picture. 
The second picture it where two lions killing a big hippo eating it alive! Still impressive. But hippos are slow and do not put up as big a fight as you might think on land in the hot african sun! 

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Hi @Pantherinae ,

I like to know some info on the Notch pride.
Generally pride males will chase off their sons after reaching a certain age.
But what happened in the Notch pride.
Why didnt Notch chase off his sons when they were young and instead formed a coalition with them ?
Is this behaviour is seen in other prides too ?

Bigcat Enthusiast

Lion males form coalitions with their sons quite often. Sometimes males form coalitions with unrelated male youngsters from other territories etc..
There is no single rule as to how they form coalitions from what I have seen, it is more along the lines of doing whatever you need to survive, I think.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Hi @Apollo the notch storry is quite special because. Notch once ruled a pride with another male, but he was killed by three nomadic lions! So Notch and his sons ran away and formed a very strong and unusualy big coallition to be in the Masai Mara! 

If notch had not formed a coallition with his sons he probably would not have managed to take over a new pride! And he is now estimates to be atleast 14 years old! 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: Lion males form coalitions with their sons quite often. Sometimes males form coalitions with unrelated male youngsters from other territories etc..
There is no single rule as to how they form coalitions from what I have seen, it is more along the lines of doing whatever you need to survive, I think.

It's very rare for male lions to form coallitions with their sons. It does almost never happen! A male lion will chase away their sons when they are around 2-2,5 years old! Thats enough. 

That's why Notch is so special. Notch boys have had a lot of cubs and now their cubs have formed a coallition of 6 and also another young male witch takes the total of 7 males! I have never heard about a coallition that big before! Will be cool to follow them! 

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-28-2014, 07:16 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: Hi @Apollo the notch storry is quite special because. Notch once ruled a pride with another male, but he was killed by three nomadic lions! So Notch and his sons ran away and formed a very strong and unusualy big coallition to be in the Masai Mara! 

If notch had not formed a coallition with his sons he probably would not have managed to take over a new pride! And he is now estimates to be atleast 14 years old! 

Thanks for the info Pantherinae.
Its really a special coalition.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-28-2014, 07:21 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: Lion males form coalitions with their sons quite often. Sometimes males form coalitions with unrelated male youngsters from other territories etc..

It's very rare for male lions to form coallitions with their sons. It does almost never happen! A male lion will chase away their sons when they are around 2-2,5 years old! Thats enough. 

That's why Notch is so special. Notch boys have had a lot of cubs and now their cubs have formed a coallition of 6 and also another young male witch takes the total of 7 males! I have never heard about a coallition that big before! Will be cool to follow them! 

Considering we know about the family linkage of 5 main lion prides, if that. And we have one confirmed father son lion pride, that already proves that its not extremely uncommon. 
I know I have seen or read other info that has spoke of lion coalitions of father and sons as well as a males of different ages from different territories. 
I will look tomorrow.

You decided not to login in with your other alias account?

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Pckts, it happens but it's very unusual, out of 20 coallitions in seriengeti and the crater there where only one father/son coallition! 

I do not have an alias account... Stop judge before you know. It's also the thing with when you accuses people for beeing other people just because you disagreed with my opinion! Grow up! 
This is a lion predation thred so stop piss people off, with things you know will lead to argument's not even animal relatated. So be the bigger man and please not answer these last comments. You don't have to like me, but let's not take that here! If you don't whant me to comment on you're post's fine with me just send an inbox mesage and say stop then I will.