There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Lion Predation

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

2 users Like TheLioness's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Nice hunt.
Is that lion is blind in the left eye ?

Bigcat Enthusiast

Looks like it. Beautiful male lion.

*This image is copyright of its original author

~~Our central pride consisting of eight lions (1 adult male, 2 adult lionesses and 5 cubs) provided some magnificent game viewing during the month. A few more eland kills were made, which comes as no surprise as we are heading in the late stages of the dry season. Eland and kudu, especially the lone bulls, are losing condition, and lions are making hay while the winter sun shines as they target these species. In one week we either saw or heard of four different eland kills and one kudu kill made by this pride of lions.

How cute, mom dad and 5 cubs, like a human family. He sure is a big boy!

~~Matswane, the old lion with one eye, has come back to Mashatu after almost a year of residing in the Tuli Circle in Zimbabwe.

He traveled very far to hook up with 2 (2-3) year old male lions.
~~Over the past weekend I received surprising, but very good news. Researchers in Mazunga, Zim, from a place called Bubye Valley Conservancy, which is about 90 km's from Mashatu, reportedly collared an old male lion with one eye recently!!

1 user Likes TheLioness's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Not trying to bash him at all, but he certainly doesn't look to be that big of a boy to me. I have definitely seen larger lions when next to man.
Would love to know his weight if they got it My estimate would be 170-180kg.

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-10-2014, 10:23 PM)'TheLioness' Wrote: Looks like it. Beautiful male lion.

~~Our central pride consisting of eight lions (1 adult male, 2 adult lionesses and 5 cubs) provided some magnificent game viewing during the month. A few more eland kills were made, which comes as no surprise as we are heading in the late stages of the dry season. Eland and kudu, especially the lone bulls, are losing condition, and lions are making hay while the winter sun shines as they target these species. In one week we either saw or heard of four different eland kills and one kudu kill made by this pride of lions.

How cute, mom dad and 5 cubs, like a human family. He sure is a big boy!

~~Matswane, the old lion with one eye, has come back to Mashatu after almost a year of residing in the Tuli Circle in Zimbabwe.

He traveled very far to hook up with 2 (2-3) year old male lions.
~~Over the past weekend I received surprising, but very good news. Researchers in Mazunga, Zim, from a place called Bubye Valley Conservancy, which is about 90 km's from Mashatu, reportedly collared an old male lion with one eye recently!!

TFS

Bigcat Enthusiast

Two young males taking down Giraffe.

5 users Like TheLioness's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Great Images, Lions are incredible hunter.
2 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-13-2014, 08:36 AM)'TheLioness' Wrote: Two young males taking down Giraffe.

Pretty much what I said when comparing the skill required to kill giraffe compared to bufallo. Still a impressive kill for those two youngsters. 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Male lion on bull buffalo! i do not know if he did kill it himself, or if there is some other boys hidden in the bush.

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-26-2014, 10:13 PM by sanjay )

male lion killing a buffalo bull, this is a bull in it's prime aswell, I have some experience with cape buffalos as i worked in a animal park in sweeden where they have these amazing and aggressive animals! 

And as we can see a prime buffalo takes 22hr to finish for this lion, so i can't see them as a normal prey for a single male lion! But it can happen, and lions are experts at killing big prey items! But a buffalo bull/ giraffe is the biggest a single lion can bring down! 

2 users Like Pantherinae's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

Welcome to the forum Pantherinae. I've been to Sweden many times. Which park did you work in? What animals?

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'peter dateline='' Wrote: Welcome to the forum Pantherinae. I've been to Sweden many times. Which park did you work in? What animals?

Thank you! I worked in a zoo called borås! And worked with cheetahs and lions for the most! I have now had a year in Kristiansand animal park with siberian tigers and lions (including the massive male lion Aslan on 255 kg)! 

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-26-2014, 11:03 PM by sanjay )

(06-26-2014, 07:15 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
'peter dateline='' Wrote: Welcome to the forum Pantherinae. I've been to Sweden many times. Which park did you work in? What animals?

Thank you! I worked in a zoo called borås! And worked with cheetahs and lions for the most! I have now had a year in Kristiansand animal park with siberian tigers and lions (including the massive male lion Aslan on 255 kg)! 

You work here?

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Pckts dateline='' Wrote:
'Pantherinae dateline='' Wrote:

You work here?

Ahh yeah thats Aslan and the tiger is Ulysses! Big animals! There you see how little difference 50 kg is on these animals looks almost the same! Lion taller! And the same length! [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJTgL2BKgwk 

This young male does most of the job himself on an small skinny bull, not the most impressive clip, 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRwRMCw37A 

Two very young male lions taking down an impressive bull, i know it's two lions, but they are such young age. So i just posted it anyway :-) 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPOCZ4dAr8k 

this one is the impressive one i can find on video. This bull is in it's prime, great age and looks very healty! But thats a very tough test for any lion! 22hr! Thats impressive from both the lion and the buffalo! The lion is quite young and do not prosess the experience enough to kill it effective enough! 

Ho