There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligence of the big cats...

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-19-2019, 02:10 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 02:02 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 01:50 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 12:37 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 11:49 PM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 04:45 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 04:28 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 05:14 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 12:49 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: I am interested in the inteligence of the big cats. I can provide information about the tiger, other can provide about lions and we can make a comparison.

Size of the brain is important, there is no discussion, but also is important to see how that size impact the inteligence and how the animals develop they skills in they different habitats. After all, we must remember that most of the animal acts are managed by basic instincts and in some situations they can change to special adaptations regarding the habitat and in the last place, the individual behaviours. I remember that Richard Perry says that "there is no such thing as the tiger, as all the tigers are individuals". I think that the study that you are discussing (I have not read it, yet) lacks this point of view.

Even between humans, the inteligence is something very subjective and depends of the situation and the specimen. I remember an old debate about wolves vs Komodo dragons and I was sure that the wolf, been a large and social mammal will win with no problem, but other experts on reptiles showed that the varanids are also very inteligent.

I think that I will participate in this debate, but for time issues I think that I will post until the next Sunday, you know job issues.

Greetings to all and try to be peaceful and objective in your posts folks.

Heh, it is interesting to get good information. But what comes to size of the brains, that is far from clear thing. Alone it, that the birds manage to do many quite complex tests among many other things proves that, that size is not as important as many other things. There is a lot of information and studies about it. 

Then again what comes to Borrego, it is easy to talk bad about her and her studies. But then everyone should hear what she tells herself, that she has just begun her research and she herself say, that more research is needed. What is interesting is, that now there is someone(s) who are doing studies and developing more tests and test methods hopefully so, that we get more information. I see that as a good thing, not bad.

What comes to tigers and lions in comparison, who cares if it would happen to be so, that lions would happen to be smarter in some way? Would that make tigers suddenly losers for someone? And if another way, so what? I am always amused in a way, if I notice emotional approach to some matter and then a lot of effort to undermine something just because kind of terrified, that we might get a result, which would be "wrong".

Focus here should be, imo, to bring in as much good information as possible. If talking about some tests, which are proving this or that, then just sources here so that everyone can read and watch and make their own opinions. They can be different kinds in this kind of matter with different people, but main thing is, that all can see what information there is. This is not about weights, body fat or measurements of bones and skulls, so it can be difficult to find a situation where conclusions are so clear, that everyone would have to agree in front of overwhelming evidence. So main focus should be in tolerance and avoiding emotional debates.

I have never kept some big cat as superior compared to others, because I haven´t found enough reliable information to back up such claim. I find approach from Borrego interesting, because she opens up quite a lot how she makes her research and gives interviews like here she did. I don´t see her science weak, but as she say herself, she has just begun and a lot of work to do.

If she finds out, that in her tests lions are better, I don´t see any reason why it couldn´t happen, but I hope, that also in future we can see test footage. If she finds out, that tigers do better, then same thing. It is a little bit difficult to make big estimations about her tests, because only a few were shown in documentaries. I was was looking some parts of her tests and also thinked, that "was that all there?", "really and why didn´t they do like this or like that?". Then again she says, that there were hundreds of tests, so what we saw was not all. 

One interesting part in her tests was that group dynamic and how it changed, when male lions came along. It didn´t make it always easy and females seemed to take suddenly a step backwards when more nervous than with other females :) Hyenas were for sure better in working as a group. Another interesting thing was tests with lions in South Africa, those lions obviously have good conditions or then not too many generations in captivity. I mean they seemed to have strong hunting instinct there. What I briefly checked, captivity has effects in big cats and one thing going off is certain hunting instinct and skills. 

But we will see, let the best cat win Wink  But if we have to settle with result, that impossible to find clear winner, that is not so dangerous Grin We can still all maybe learn something new about these animals and that is at least for me the most valuable thing.
"But what comes to size of the brains, that is far from clear thing. Alone it, that the birds manage to do many quite complex tests among many other things proves that, that size is not as important as many other things. There is a lot of information and studies about it."

Hm, as far as i know there is a moderate correlation between brain size and intelligence (as least if you compare related species). The influence of brain size should not be overestimated, but also not underestimated. 

"What comes to tigers and lions in comparison, who cares if it would happen to be so, that lions would happen to be smarter in some way? Would that make tigers suddenly losers for someone? And if another way, so what? I am always amused in a way, if I notice emotional approach to some matter and then a lot of effort to undermine something just because kind of terrified, that we might get a result, which would be "wrong". 

Well, most of us are somewhat biased and we take this theme as a sort of duel between our favourite animals (you too). And its therefore quite understandable that we have tendencies to highlight what is in our favor and to discard the opposite. And this applies to both sides (you too). And for example it is ok to appreciate the study, but it is also legitimate to reject it. And I think its not fair to indicate that this critique is something emotional, motivated by some kind of fear. I suggest not to implant our own thoughts into the minds of other people :-)    

"So main focus should be in tolerance and avoiding emotional debates." vs. "And I don´t mind, that you find it amusing, I find this whole conversation in same way :)"

Thank you for your exemplary approach to communication :-)  

Of course brain size isn´t irrelevant. But it is not only thing there and as you say, it can´t be underestimated or overestimated. 

And what comes to biased, I really couldn´t care less what results we get. For me it is indifferent which big cat or animal is most intelligent or is any. But it is true, that sometimes I have fun too in conversations like this, no denying in that. Tigers for instance are one of my favorite animals by far. But if I see something, which looks like to be biased, of course I ask questions, if something can be proved or is it just some myth which can´t be confirmed in any reasonable way. In this conversation we are in situation, where not too much can be proven to one direction or another, of course it is ok to like or dislike something, no problem :) 

I mentioned emotional, because that happens too even in this forum time to time. 

And you are welcome what comes to exemplary approach to communication, I just followed the lead Wink

Anyway I hope, that people put here sources for information and we all can see original texts.

Well, thats your statement :-). And everybody is free to judge whether or not you use some manipulation in your posts :-)
Of course, that is why it is important to put all sources for everyone to see. I have seen opinions like "tigers are 16% more intelligent than lions, because their brain volume is 16% bigger Grin It is always funny to see how people try to make complicated matters to look like simple Grin As said before, intelligence of animals is interesting thing and it is quite difficult to say too much before there is more research.

" I have seen opinions like "tigers are 16% more intelligent than lions, because their brain volume is 16% bigger" 

Source? :-) 

BTW I´m afraid you didnt understand the real meaning of my post (70), but that doesnt matter...  

Source was a distant memory from many threads, which have given me good laughs :) And I am happy, that it is just distance memory Grin

And we are all sometimes afraid, but it is not so dangerous Wink Just part of life.
"that is why it is important to put all sources for everyone to see" vs. "Source was a distant memory from many threads" 

Yes, of course... :-) 
Feel free to serch from youtube threads for instance :) There tiger fanboys tell more fairy tales than anyone can remember, or should remember. Lion fanboys doing the same Grin

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

(01-19-2019, 02:27 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 05:14 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 12:49 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: I am interested in the inteligence of the big cats. I can provide information about the tiger, other can provide about lions and we can make a comparison.

Size of the brain is important, there is no discussion, but also is important to see how that size impact the inteligence and how the animals develop they skills in they different habitats. After all, we must remember that most of the animal acts are managed by basic instincts and in some situations they can change to special adaptations regarding the habitat and in the last place, the individual behaviours. I remember that Richard Perry says that "there is no such thing as the tiger, as all the tigers are individuals". I think that the study that you are discussing (I have not read it, yet) lacks this point of view.

Even between humans, the inteligence is something very subjective and depends of the situation and the specimen. I remember an old debate about wolves vs Komodo dragons and I was sure that the wolf, been a large and social mammal will win with no problem, but other experts on reptiles showed that the varanids are also very inteligent.

I think that I will participate in this debate, but for time issues I think that I will post until the next Sunday, you know job issues.

Greetings to all and try to be peaceful and objective in your posts folks.

Heh, it is interesting to get good information. But what comes to size of the brains, that is far from clear thing. Alone it, that the birds manage to do many quite complex tests among many other things proves that, that size is not as important as many other things. There is a lot of information and studies about it. 

Then again what comes to Borrego, it is easy to talk bad about her and her studies. But then everyone should hear what she tells herself, that she has just begun her research and she herself say, that more research is needed. What is interesting is, that now there is someone(s) who are doing studies and developing more tests and test methods hopefully so, that we get more information. I see that as a good thing, not bad.

What comes to tigers and lions in comparison, who cares if it would happen to be so, that lions would happen to be smarter in some way? Would that make tigers suddenly losers for someone? And if another way, so what? I am always amused in a way, if I notice emotional approach to some matter and then a lot of effort to undermine something just because kind of terrified, that we might get a result, which would be "wrong".

Focus here should be, imo, to bring in as much good information as possible. If talking about some tests, which are proving this or that, then just sources here so that everyone can read and watch and make their own opinions. They can be different kinds in this kind of matter with different people, but main thing is, that all can see what information there is. This is not about weights, body fat or measurements of bones and skulls, so it can be difficult to find a situation where conclusions are so clear, that everyone would have to agree in front of overwhelming evidence. So main focus should be in tolerance and avoiding emotional debates.

I have never kept some big cat as superior compared to others, because I haven´t found enough reliable information to back up such claim. I find approach from Borrego interesting, because she opens up quite a lot how she makes her research and gives interviews like here she did. I don´t see her science weak, but as she say herself, she has just begun and a lot of work to do.

If she finds out, that in her tests lions are better, I don´t see any reason why it couldn´t happen, but I hope, that also in future we can see test footage. If she finds out, that tigers do better, then same thing. It is a little bit difficult to make big estimations about her tests, because only a few were shown in documentaries. I was was looking some parts of her tests and also thinked, that "was that all there?", "really and why didn´t they do like this or like that?". Then again she says, that there were hundreds of tests, so what we saw was not all. 

One interesting part in her tests was that group dynamic and how it changed, when male lions came along. It didn´t make it always easy and females seemed to take suddenly a step backwards when more nervous than with other females :) Hyenas were for sure better in working as a group. Another interesting thing was tests with lions in South Africa, those lions obviously have good conditions or then not too many generations in captivity. I mean they seemed to have strong hunting instinct there. What I briefly checked, captivity has effects in big cats and one thing going off is certain hunting instinct and skills. 

But we will see, let the best cat win Wink  But if we have to settle with result, that impossible to find clear winner, that is not so dangerous Grin We can still all maybe learn something new about these animals and that is at least for me the most valuable thing.
"But what comes to size of the brains, that is far from clear thing. Alone it, that the birds manage to do many quite complex tests among many other things proves that, that size is not as important as many other things. There is a lot of information and studies about it."

Hm, as far as i know there is a moderate correlation between brain size and intelligence (as least if you compare related species). The influence of brain size should not be overestimated, but also not underestimated. 

"What comes to tigers and lions in comparison, who cares if it would happen to be so, that lions would happen to be smarter in some way? Would that make tigers suddenly losers for someone? And if another way, so what? I am always amused in a way, if I notice emotional approach to some matter and then a lot of effort to undermine something just because kind of terrified, that we might get a result, which would be "wrong". 

Well, most of us are somewhat biased and we take this theme as a sort of duel between our favourite animals (you too). And its therefore quite understandable that we have tendencies to highlight what is in our favor and to discard the opposite. And this applies to both sides (you too). And for example it is ok to appreciate the study, but it is also legitimate to reject it. And I think its not fair to indicate that this critique is something emotional, motivated by some kind of fear. I suggest not to implant our own thoughts into the minds of other people :-)    

"So main focus should be in tolerance and avoiding emotional debates." vs. "And I don´t mind, that you find it amusing, I find this whole conversation in same way :)"

Of course brain size isn´t irrelevant. But it is not only thing there and as you say, it can´t be underestimated or overestimated. 

And what comes to biased, I really couldn´t care less what results we get. For me it is indifferent which big cat or animal is most intelligent or is any. But it is true, that sometimes I have fun too in conversations like this, no denying in that. Tigers for instance are one of my favorite animals by far. But if I see something, which looks like to be biased, of course I ask questions, if something can be proved or is it just some myth which can´t be confirmed in any reasonable way. In this conversation we are in situation, where not too much can be proven to one direction or another, of course it is ok to like or dislike something, no problem :) 

I mentioned emotional, because that happens too even in this forum time to time. 

And you are welcome what comes to exemplary approach to communication, I just followed the lead Wink

Anyway I hope, that people put here sources for information and we all can see original texts.

Well, thats your statement :-). And everybody is free to judge whether or not you use some manipulation in your posts :-)
Of course, that is why it is important to put all sources for everyone to see. I have seen opinions like "tigers are 16% more intelligent than lions, because their brain volume is 16% bigger Grin It is always funny to see how people try to make complicated matters to look like simple Grin As said before, intelligence of animals is interesting thing and it is quite difficult to say too much before there is more research.

" I have seen opinions like "tigers are 16% more intelligent than lions, because their brain volume is 16% bigger" 

BTW I´m afraid you didnt understand the real meaning of my post (70), but that doesnt matter...  

Source was a distant memory from many threads, which have given me good laughs :) And I am happy, that it is just distance memory Grin

And we are all sometimes afraid, but it is not so dangerous Wink Just part of life.
"that is why it is important to put all sources for everyone to see" vs. "Source was a distant memory from many threads" 

Feel free to serch from youtube threads for instance :) There tiger fanboys tell more fairy tales than anyone can remember, or should remember. Lion fanboys doing the same Grin
sorry, but this is absolutely uninteresting

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2019, 03:26 AM by Shadow )

(01-19-2019, 03:14 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 05:14 PM)Shadow Wrote: Heh, it is interesting to get good information. But what comes to size of the brains, that is far from clear thing. Alone it, that the birds manage to do many quite complex tests among many other things proves that, that size is not as important as many other things. There is a lot of information and studies about it. 

Agreed Wink

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Hmmmm.... this lioness was smart! :)

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

Manifestation of intelligence

"Tiger experts are now sure that she was seeking human help for her tooth pain and hunger."

https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/31/desperate...m-7276013/
2 users Like Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

(01-19-2019, 03:16 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 04:28 AM)Amnon242 Wrote: "But what comes to size of the brains, that is far from clear thing. Alone it, that the birds manage to do many quite complex tests among many other things proves that, that size is not as important as many other things. There is a lot of information and studies about it."

Agreed Wink

Fine :-) and again: everybody is free to asses whether or not you fabulated those "opinios" for manipulative purposes :-)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-20-2019, 01:17 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 04:45 AM)Shadow Wrote: Of course brain size isn´t irrelevant. But it is not only thing there and as you say, it can´t be underestimated or overestimated. 

Agreed Wink

Fine :-) and again: everybody is free to asses whether or not you fabulated those "opinios" for manipulative purposes :-)

I have noticed that many times Wink

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

As for brains size: 

" why the tiger evolved a relatively bigger brain (or why other species evolved smaller brains)" 

" which parts of the tiger’s brain are bigger than the lion's" 

for me answers to these questions are more interesting and important than experiments with boxes...

https://bigcatrescue.org/who-is-smarter-...vs-tigers/

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

(01-01-2019, 09:43 AM)paul cooper Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 12:56 PM)Spalea Wrote: Compared with tigers, lions are always discriminated and mocked, forum after forum, wildfact excepted.

I know that there are fanboys. I dont want to start talking about losers now, but all i got to say is that lion fans are simply a bunch of fucking disgusting human beings. They cannot respect an animal, not to insult it. They like to see animals suffer, and have serious psychological issues. Majority of them are creationists who believe the earth is 6000 years old. And yes, i am referring to you. Stop pretending.

Paul, do you remember Bald? Have you seen his videos? For example he is quite obviously suffereng from asperger syndrome...but some fanboys had probably even more serious problems (like that starfox...or what was his name...)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here is one article about this topic.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/...ls-smarter

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

(01-20-2019, 01:20 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 11:49 PM)Amnon242 Wrote: Well, thats your statement :-). And everybody is free to judge whether or not you use some manipulation in your posts :-)

Agreed Wink

"that is why it is important to put all sources for everyone to see" vs. "Source was a distant memory from many threads" vs. "Feel free to serch from youtube threads for instance" vs. "I have noticed that many times" 

:-) 

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-20-2019, 01:35 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 12:37 AM)Shadow Wrote: Of course, that is why it is important to put all sources for everyone to see. I have seen opinions like "tigers are 16% more intelligent than lions, because their brain volume is 16% bigger Grin It is always funny to see how people try to make complicated matters to look like simple Grin As said before, intelligence of animals is interesting thing and it is quite difficult to say too much before there is more research.

Agreed Wink

"that is why it is important to put all sources for everyone to see" vs. "Source was a distant memory from many threads" vs. "Feel free to serch from youtube threads for instance" vs. "I have noticed that many times" 

And your point is? :)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

(01-20-2019, 01:37 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 01:50 AM)Amnon242 Wrote: " I have seen opinions like "tigers are 16% more intelligent than lions, because their brain volume is 16% bigger" 

Agreed Wink

Direct answer is in your PM...and everbody is free to make his/her own conclusion :-)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-19-2019, 12:37 AM)Shadow Wrote: Of course, that is why it is important to put all sources for everyone to see. I have seen opinions like "tigers are 16% more intelligent than lions, because their brain volume is 16% bigger Grin It is always funny to see how people try to make complicated matters to look like simple Grin As said before, intelligence of animals is interesting thing and it is quite difficult to say too much before there is more research.

Agreed Wink

If you mean, when I said, that I have seen some people to say, that tigers are 16% smarter because they have 16% bigger brain volume, I made a slight mistake, I hope, that you can forgive me Wink Here is one example about it what people claim... but here it was actually 25% :) But I don´t like to see too many times that kind of nonsense, so if you are more interested what kind of claims people time to time make, seek yourself :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-20-2019, 01:43 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 01:37 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 02:02 AM)Shadow Wrote: Source was a distant memory from many threads, which have given me good laughs :) And I am happy, that it is just distance memory Grin

Agreed Wink

Direct answer is in your PM...and everbody is free to make his/her own conclusion :-)

Yes, that is how it should be always :)