There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Freak Specimens

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(10-01-2019, 12:29 PM)Hello Wrote: Does anyone have info on this guy?Despite the title,I estimate him to be 240-260 kg.

Incredible Lion he is huge
3 users Like epaiva's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-01-2019, 08:05 PM by Charan Singh Edit Reason: adding comment )

(10-01-2019, 12:29 PM)Hello Wrote: Does anyone have info on this guy?Despite the title,I estimate him to be 240-260 kg.

Truly a freak specimen - surely not wild.

India Hello Offline

(10-01-2019, 08:04 PM)Charan Singh Wrote:

Truly a freak specimen - surely not wild.
He's from lion and safari park in south Africa.This lion is also from the same park

Here is an another big male from the same park.

1 user Likes Hello's post

India Hello Offline

Simba,even without that hanging belly he will be around 300-320 kg.
*This image is copyright of its original author
1 user Likes Hello's post

India Hello Offline

Obese

2 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline

Tall and robust

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Nah.. He's definitely 300kg capable. He won't need to be stockily built, his dimensions are HUGE!!
1 user Likes Rishi's post

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 04:49 PM by Hello )

(10-06-2019, 10:53 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 12:29 PM)Hello Wrote: Does anyone have info on this guy?Despite the title,I estimate him to be 240-260 kg.

Nah.. He's definitely 300kg capable. He won't need to be stockily built, his dimensions are HUGE!!
He must have a giant frame to support 300 kg.Ok

India Hello Offline

@peter Is there any way to estimate the age of a big cat on the basis of their physical appearance? I know their nose gets freckles as they age, How old is that big white lion that I posted earlier in your estimate? what's your opinion on that big lion I posted earlier  @Shadow,@Pckts,@peter.

India Hello Offline

Any info on this lion?

3 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline

The same lion at post #816

4 users Like Hello's post

Malaysia johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

That's a big lion.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(10-07-2019, 05:04 PM)Hello Wrote: @peter Is there any way to estimate the age of a big cat on the basis of their physical appearance? I know their nose gets freckles as they age, How old is that big white lion that I posted earlier in your estimate? what's your opinion on that big lion I posted earlier  @Shadow,@Pckts,@peter.

That lion looks quite big, still it´s very difficult to give accurate estimations. Angle and perspective can effect so much. From some photos it´s easy to see, that those are taken to exaggerate size of an animal. Some others are then again otherwise difficult, when not possible to know distance between animal and object to which it is compared. 

Is that lion 230 kg, 250 kg or 300 kg.... it looks too fit to be 300 kg, imo. If that is same lion as earlier on that video about possible 300 kg lion, I doubt that. Even though I think, that it´s possible for a lion to be that heavy, it´s still obviously very rare even in captivity. I´ve asked from zoos about different animals and so far only Simba and then that MGM lion Zamba have been told to be over 300 kg as opinion of people who have been taking care of them. Then there is that one lion from Russia, which looks like to be huge and a bit overweight even though not yet so fat, that it would look like animal cruelty. 

Still many examples show, that already a 250 kg big cat looks like huge and many are ready to talk about 300-350 kg weights when seeing a photo. Reality just tends to be less, when real information is found out.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-09-2019, 01:59 PM by Hello )

Huge young male IMO 230-240 kg when he is fully grown 280-300 kg

India Hello Offline

The lion and safari park is very famous in South Africa. They are equivalent to Harbin tiger park, Animals from these 2 facilities are very large and there are malpractices such as cub petting, Sending lion cubs to canned hunting facilities and in Harbin, use of tiger parts as traditional medicine.