There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Freak Specimens

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Two tigers fighting in Bannerghatta

India Hello Offline

Aslan in his prime back in 2010.

1 user Likes Hello's post

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 04:52 PM by Hello )

Brutus,550 lbs? I believe he is close to that.Big lion and lioness,Look at the sexual dimorphism at 4:33

2 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline

Amur tiger "Baikal " claimed to be 850 pounds But I don't think that's possible.850 lb cat is non existent unless it's severely obese.
My estimate 540-600 lbs which is indeed very big for such an animal.In the first image he looks okay in build.In the second he looks little bit overweight.Image angles can be very deceptive and misleading.

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Hello's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(09-14-2019, 06:12 PM)Hello Wrote: Amur tiger "Baikal " claimed to be 850 pounds But I don't think that's possible.850 lb cat is non existent unless it's severely obese.
My estimate 540-600 lbs which is indeed very big for such an animal.In the first image he looks okay in build.In the second he looks little bit overweight.Image angles can be very deceptive and misleading.

That tiger isn´t Baikal. And Baikal was´t 850 lbs, it was 250 kg, which is same as approximately 551 lbs. There is more about Baikal in thread Captive Lion and Tiger weights. 

I think, that you could post more about lions and tigers in threads concerning those animals instead freak specimens. I think, that this thread is more for extraordinary and rare cases, not so much for a little bit bigger lions and tigers. I think, that 250-260 kg big cat isn´t freak, it is just big :) 300 kg is another thing then again, if really confirmed. But still for instance Captive Lion and Tiger weights is more suitable for postings, which you have shared lately.

India Hello Offline

(09-14-2019, 08:14 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(09-14-2019, 06:12 PM)Hello Wrote: Amur tiger "Baikal " claimed to be 850 pounds But I don't think that's possible.850 lb cat is non existent unless it's severely obese.

That tiger isn´t Baikal. And Baikal was´t 850 lbs, it was 250 kg, which is same as approximately 551 lbs. There is more about Baikal in thread Captive Lion and Tiger weights. 

I think, that you could post more about lions and tigers in threads concerning those animals instead freak specimens. I think, that this thread is more for extraordinary and rare cases, not so much for a little bit bigger lions and tigers. I think, that 250-260 kg big cat isn´t freak, it is just big :) 300 kg is another thing then again, if really confirmed. But still for instance Captive Lion and Tiger weights is more suitable for postings, which you have shared lately.

Are you sure then which is Baikal?was he weighed 551 lbs ?if so could you post the link.I also saw another Baikal which died in a fight with younger amurs.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2019, 09:56 PM by Shadow )

(09-14-2019, 09:25 PM)Hello Wrote:
(09-14-2019, 08:14 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Are you sure then which is Baikal?was he weighed 551 lbs ?if so could you post the link.I also saw another Baikal which died in a fight with younger amurs.

As I said, there is information in thread Captive Lion and Tiger weights. I won´t repeat it all here :) But that "legendary" Baikal which was claimed to be 850 lbs was in reality 551 lbs. There are many tigers named Baikal, but photos which you shared are from some other tiger. Those have been posted in some other sites too and I don´t know what tiger is in those photos. But there are many people, who post misinformation either by accident or on purpose. Luckily tigers have unique stripe and face patterns making it easy to check.

And it was that Baikal which died in fight, which was claimed to be 850 lbs.

India Hello Offline

According to guinness records,the heaviest dog named Zorba was a mastiff at 155 kg.He looks fit.He doesn't look that much to be 155 kg.Does guinness records weigh or estimate weights?

2 users Like Hello's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(09-28-2019, 08:29 PM)Hello Wrote: According to guinness records,the heaviest dog named Zorba was a mastiff at 155 kg.He looks fit.He doesn't look that much to be 155 kg.Does guinness records weigh or estimate weights?

Guinness has had many times information, which has been later proved to be wrong and/or controversial. They are nowadays more careful, but I wonder too if that dog can be 155 kg, maybe a typo and should be 105 kg...

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-28-2019, 10:21 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 08:29 PM)Hello Wrote: According to guinness records,the heaviest dog named Zorba was a mastiff at 155 kg.He looks fit.He doesn't look that much to be 155 kg.Does guinness records weigh or estimate weights?

Guinness has had many times information, which has been later proved to be wrong and/or controversial. They are nowadays more careful, but I wonder too if that dog can be 155 kg, maybe a typo and should be 105 kg...
Might not be the most flattering angle, he's a huge dog.

I've had first hand experience with a few English Mastiffs, they are huge dogs, tall and thick.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-29-2019, 12:44 PM by Shadow )

(09-29-2019, 05:53 AM)Pckts Wrote:

I've had first hand experience with a few English Mastiffs, they are huge dogs, tall and thick.

Yes mastiffs are big boys, I have also met many. But never any which would be close to 150 kg. Zorba (in photo shared by @Hello), which truly seems to be a record dog, didn´t look like anything special in that one photo, I wonder if it was still a young one in it. Well, these dogs do need owners, who know how to train a dog :) Even though it can be fun to see a dog dragging owner who is sliding behind it hanging on the leash, I think that owners prefer to walk.
2 users Like Shadow's post

India Hello Offline

(09-29-2019, 05:53 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Wow, 37 inches!which is very impressive for a mastiff.About tall as a great dane,most show danes are 36-38 inches

India Hello Offline

Very tall male lion with large skull

7 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline

Simba (112 cm at shoulders, 375 kg), he looks large framed and obese.If he was fit he may weigh 300-320 kg,In wild easily 250 kg+
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/222789

India Hello Offline

Does anyone have info on this guy?Despite the title,I estimate him to be 240-260 kg.

4 users Like Hello's post