There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This was one lucky and maybe smart African wild dog. Not many animals run away alive from that position.

5 users Like Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Sean Qml
Tiger kill leopard basantapur jungle nawalparasi....

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Pckts's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(05-22-2019, 12:37 AM)Shadow Wrote: This was one lucky and maybe smart African wild dog. Not many animals run away alive from that position.

You're talking about the pack member, right? That one deserves all the credit... risked its life & about met the same fate.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #733: the fact in Ethopian you mentioned:

With different ways to comment it...

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/6902...-dead.html
http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/1...iopia.html
https://fathersmanifesto.net/ethiopia.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/323422.stm
2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-22-2019, 04:43 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 12:37 AM)Shadow Wrote: This was one lucky and maybe smart African wild dog. Not many animals run away alive from that position.

You're talking about the pack member, right? That one deserves all the credit... risked its life & about met the same fate.

I guess, that it can be said about it too :) But also this one, being still there all that time and not struggling. If struggling, I think that lion would have mauled it badly instead just walking and keeping it in mouth. But yes, more than one impressive things there on this video.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Banwari Yaduvanshi‎ 

It is very rare to see. When two carnivores animals appear together Here he is eating Indian Golden Jackal, Indian Striped Female Hyena. Who was killed one day earlier by Leopard.
Indian Golden Jackal and Dead Indian Striped Female Hyena
May-2019
Kota-Rajasthan

7 users Like Pckts's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

This is what the poster of the photo above had to tell about the leopard killing the striped hyena:

"Yes BX Wo because this is Male leopard territory...... And yesterday I don't seen dead female Hyena... But Next day i seen female hyena without cut and there were ''key nine '' marks in  his neck..."
3 users Like Luipaard's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Mara Olapa Camp
Game drives are full of unexpected sightings like this early morning,we witnessed a confrontation between Koboso (leopard)
and a huge alpha male baboon.
He went all out at her,jumping on the branches and grunting away,she kept growling and stood her ground.
The skirmish lasted briefly and the baboon retrieved and scampered his way down and joined his troop below.
All ended well for both ?

8 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Wolverine Away

(05-24-2019, 11:25 PM)Pckts Wrote: Mara Olapa Camp
Game drives are full of unexpected sightings like this early morning,we witnessed a confrontation between Koboso (leopard)
and a huge alpha male baboon.
He went all out at her,jumping on the branches and grunting away,she kept growling and stood her ground.
The skirmish lasted briefly and the baboon retrieved and scampered his way down and joined his troop below.
All ended well for both ?

Amazing scene and photo!

Wildanimal Lover

@Pckts :

About #743: very impressive photo ! An alpha male baboon  is a very huge beast and seeing one of them so close to a leopard without starting to fight each other is awesome.
4 users Like Spalea's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2019, 01:18 AM by Wolverine )

(05-25-2019, 12:14 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

About #743: very impressive photo ! An alpha male baboon  is a very huge beast and seeing one of them so close to a leopard without starting to fight each other is awesome.

Could you imagine what will happen with the cat if on the place of baboon was the ancient mega-baboon Dinopithecus ingens 
weighting up to 100 kg, probably the most terrible primate ever roaming the planet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinopithecus

4 users Like Wolverine's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2019, 12:05 PM by Luipaard )

Not sure if posted before but here's another interaction between a leopard and a baboon. Here female leopard Thandi distracts a big baboon in order to protect her cubs:

4 users Like Luipaard's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-25-2019, 12:44 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 12:14 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

Could you imagine what will happen with the cat if on the place of baboon was the ancient mega-baboon Dinopithecus ingens 
weighting up to 100 kg, probably the most terrible primate ever roaming the planet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinopithecus

When looking at that dimensions picture, it just looks odd. It is said, that up to 100 kg, averages much less, then comparing to a human and that looks like something, which should be like 200 kg if not filled with air mostly.

Here is one other picture, where is another extinct primate, estimated to be also up to 100 kg. It looks so different. I wonder if these pictures of dinopithecus are accurate? I mean it looks like bigger than gorilla which after all can be double the weight, which is said about dinopithecus, something just doesn´t feel right now.

This picture is from this site:
https://prehistoric-fauna.com/Theropithecus-oswaldi

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #748: An adult male baboon weighing 100 kilos ? I don't believe it. IMO 60-70 kilos maximum. Of course if you look at into the Guinesse book all is possible and the man is the fattest big ape, no contest... Look at this link

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/worl...aviest-man

This record isn't at all representative of the specy "man"... Gorilla is the biggest extant ape, no problem...

By looking at the photo showing the alpha male baboon in front of the leopard, we clearly seen that the baboon's weight is equal even superior to leopard's. To see them both so close is awesome.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2019, 04:05 PM by Shadow )

(05-25-2019, 03:45 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

About #748: An adult male baboon weighing 100 kilos ? I don't believe it. IMO 60-70 kilos maximum. Of course if you look at into the Guinesse book all is possible and the man is the fattest big ape, no contest... Look at this link

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/worl...aviest-man

This record isn't at all representative of the specy "man"... Gorilla is the biggest extant ape, no problem...

By looking at the photo showing the alpha male baboon in front of the leopard, we clearly seen that the baboon's weight is equal even superior to leopard's. To see them both so close is awesome.

How does posting #748 connect to 100 kg estimation? Now I don´t quite understand what do you mean.

I was commenting about posting of wolverine and comparison picture in it concerning dinopithecus. It looks odd for me and I wonder if scaling is wrong in it. I posted other comparison picture then again myself about other extinct ape.

These extinct apes seems to have been on average less than 50 kg (males). Then maybe some exceptional individuals could have been huge compared to average and some sources give estimations up to 100 kg. But I haven´t seen claims, that present baboons would be even close the same.

You mixed up things?