There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crocodile and Big cats Interaction

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 01:57 AM by Pckts )

(05-01-2021, 01:38 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 01:35 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 01:04 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 10:48 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 06:07 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 06:19 PM)Pckts Wrote: I agree, I've not heard of any lions who've been specialized Croc killers. There is a reason Lions hate water and that is because of what lurks not because they get their mane wet. 

That's 100% not true. Most cat species don't like water. Amazonian jaguars love water even though they coexist with black caimans. Okavango lions often swim and enjoy water even though Nile crocodiles are common in the Okavango Delta.
There is no such as either animals will be superior and cats will afraid of water due to bigger crocodiles like Nile crocodiles. Lions are not really built for hunting and killing unlike other cats. They have the worst hunting skills compared to other cats. They seemed less agile too. If lions were equal as jaguars, then there will be more interesting interaction between Nile crocodiles and lions.

Jaguars rarely cross path's with Black Caimans.

And I'm curious, when exactly do you think Lions are wading into Croc infested waters in the Delta and when they do, do you think they have another choice?
I'm not sure where you get the idea that they "enjoy" the water? They certainly don't and would prefer the safer dry land but they've adapted in the Delta since they have no choice. I also disagree about your claims in regards to a  Lions hunting prowess, I believe that is untrue as well. 
Lastly, Jaguars would not behave the way they do in Pantanal if the waters were filled with Nile Crocs and Hippos they are just offered the luxury of not having to deal with them.

Of course they are avoiding water because of crocodiles. But many captive lions also don't spend their time in water. Have you seen captive lions love water? Where is your evidence claiming that cat species hate water because of crocodiles? My neighbor's cats hate water. They have never seen any crocodiles, alligators, and caimans. Are you going to tell me that they evolved to hate water just because of crocodiles or alligators? Have you seen other urban bobcats? Most cat species don't like water. 

My dad was in the US military and I lived in Africa for 2 years. I think lions had one of the worst hunting skills when they hunt alone. If you think the lion has the same hunting skills as many other cats, then you should watch more videos and lions. There's also one video in youtube that comparing skills between one jaguar and 2 male lions. A jaguar was way superior than male lions. When I find that video again, I'll post it. Their agility and hunting skills do not develop like other cats. Africa is the only continent where many abundant numbers of huge herbivores had survived unlike other continents. I believe lions have evolved further to make them suitable for hunting as a group and a big herbivores in Africa. 

You probably need to read more careful. Why are you bring up hippo? When did I wrote hippo? I did not said jaguars will be superior or enjoy water if Nile crocodiles are in Pantanal. I said there will be more interesting interactions between crocodiles and lions if lions were the same as jaguars. I am referring jagaurs are preferring reptiles and their reptile hunting skills if you still don't understand. Lions are bigger and stronger than jaguars. They are also social cats and hunt together.

In regards to Lions and water, you're all over the board, it's tough to read your point.

The hunting claim is baseless though, I could post video after video of Lions successfully hunting alone and doing so against large prey. But if you already have this preconceived notion that they are "bad hunters" then it will do no good. In regards to a hunting test between a Jaguar and 2 male lions, I'm sure it's a captive setting and there are many other factors that come into play. Jaguars are much more suited to hunt in water or in short bursts on land while Lions are more suited to hunt in a longer chase on land. You need to understand their morphological differences and how they play a role in their hunting tactics.

I added some sentences. You probably missed it.
Imagine that lions have both merits on their sociality and jaguar's caiman hunting skills. I read many youtube comments that jaguars can't stand chance against Nile crocodiles even if Nile crocodiles were small as caimans. That's 100% false. Nile crocodiles or even Saltwater crocodiles will be the perfect food source to jaguars just like caimans in Pantanal.

But what does that have to do with a Lions hunting capabilities?
Of course if Nile Croc's or Salties only got to 10' long and weighed 100kg then they'd be Jaguar prey, there is no doubt about it. But that isn't the case, they're double the length and almost 10x's as heavy.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 04:32 AM by lionjaguar )

(05-01-2021, 01:57 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 06:19 PM)Pckts Wrote: I agree, I've not heard of any lions who've been specialized Croc killers. There is a reason Lions hate water and that is because of what lurks not because they get their mane wet. 

That's 100% not true. Most cat species don't like water. Amazonian jaguars love water even though they coexist with black caimans. Okavango lions often swim and enjoy water even though Nile crocodiles are common in the Okavango Delta.
There is no such as either animals will be superior and cats will afraid of water due to bigger crocodiles like Nile crocodiles. Lions are not really built for hunting and killing unlike other cats. They have the worst hunting skills compared to other cats. They seemed less agile too. If lions were equal as jaguars, then there will be more interesting interaction between Nile crocodiles and lions.

And I'm curious, when exactly do you think Lions are wading into Croc infested waters in the Delta and when they do, do you think they have another choice?
I'm not sure where you get the idea that they "enjoy" the water? They certainly don't and would prefer the safer dry land but they've adapted in the Delta since they have no choice. I also disagree about your claims in regards to a  Lions hunting prowess, I believe that is untrue as well. 
Lastly, Jaguars would not behave the way they do in Pantanal if the waters were filled with Nile Crocs and Hippos they are just offered the luxury of not having to deal with them.

Of course they are avoiding water because of crocodiles. But many captive lions also don't spend their time in water. Have you seen captive lions love water? Where is your evidence claiming that cat species hate water because of crocodiles? My neighbor's cats hate water. They have never seen any crocodiles, alligators, and caimans. Are you going to tell me that they evolved to hate water just because of crocodiles or alligators? Have you seen other urban bobcats? Most cat species don't like water. 

My dad was in the US military and I lived in Africa for 2 years. I think lions had one of the worst hunting skills when they hunt alone. If you think the lion has the same hunting skills as many other cats, then you should watch more videos and lions. There's also one video in youtube that comparing skills between one jaguar and 2 male lions. A jaguar was way superior than male lions. When I find that video again, I'll post it. Their agility and hunting skills do not develop like other cats. Africa is the only continent where many abundant numbers of huge herbivores had survived unlike other continents. I believe lions have evolved further to make them suitable for hunting as a group and a big herbivores in Africa. 

You probably need to read more careful. Why are you bring up hippo? When did I wrote hippo? I did not said jaguars will be superior or enjoy water if Nile crocodiles are in Pantanal. I said there will be more interesting interactions between crocodiles and lions if lions were the same as jaguars. I am referring jagaurs are preferring reptiles and their reptile hunting skills if you still don't understand. Lions are bigger and stronger than jaguars. They are also social cats and hunt together.

In regards to Lions and water, you're all over the board, it's tough to read your point.

The hunting claim is baseless though, I could post video after video of Lions successfully hunting alone and doing so against large prey. But if you already have this preconceived notion that they are "bad hunters" then it will do no good. In regards to a hunting test between a Jaguar and 2 male lions, I'm sure it's a captive setting and there are many other factors that come into play. Jaguars are much more suited to hunt in water or in short bursts on land while Lions are more suited to hunt in a longer chase on land. You need to understand their morphological differences and how they play a role in their hunting tactics.

Imagine that lions have both merits on their sociality and jaguar's caiman hunting skills. I read many youtube comments that jaguars can't stand chance against Nile crocodiles even if Nile crocodiles were small as caimans. That's 100% false. Nile crocodiles or even Saltwater crocodiles will be the perfect food source to jaguars just like caimans in Pantanal.

But what does that have to do with a Lions hunting capabilities?
Of course if Nile Croc's or Salties only got to 10' long and weighed 100kg then they'd be Jaguar prey, there is no doubt about it. But that isn't the case, they're double the length and almost 10x's as heavy.

I don't have time to discuss this unlike you are spending in wildfact. Just type "lion and crocodile," "lion and monitor lizard," "jaguar and caiman," and "jaguar and crocodile" in youtube, and watch it. Do you think lions are more skillful than jaguars when they hunt reptiles and unusual prey besides medium and big mammals. Even 2-5 female and male lions are struggling to catch 2-3m long Nile crocodiles.
This is just my opinion, it seems that lions have evolved to hunt many different large herbivores that have survived in Africa. That's why they have morphological differences just like you wrote. That's why lions also have social behaviors unlike other cats. It's too risky to hunt huge animals like cape buffalos and giant elands alone in open areas where herbivores are living as a group. Grey wolves hunt American bison more often than grizzly bears.

I only said about saltwater crocodiles and Nile crocodiles since many people think they will always be invincible even if they were small like caimans.

lionjaguar Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 02:25 AM by lionjaguar )

(05-01-2021, 01:54 AM)Balam Wrote:

A full grown saltie or Nile crocodile is too big for any jaguar to tackle and the much larger lion would have better chances with them. Still, the largest crocodiles are above then size range of what any big cat can take.

In the Orinoco Llanos jaguars coexist with crocodiles that are just as big as Nile crocodiles, this would be the best area to study crocodile-jaguar interactions, especially considering Llanos Jaguars are among the greatest. Due to overhunting the population of Orinoco crocodiles became very small so recording interactions between is close to impossible.

I am not 100% sure since crocodiles on the land are the same as terrestrial animals in the water.

Also, lions are social animals. People are overpraising the Nile crocodiles and saltwater crocodiles just like honey badgers and lions. Lions often hunt big animals like cape buffalo. They can hunt hippos, elephants, giraffes, and rhinos sometimes and I know it's really rare. 20ft crocodiles won't be different if lions possess jaguar's reptile killing skills. Lions are also hunting as a group. And I'm not talking about when they're in the water.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(05-01-2021, 02:23 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:

A full grown saltie or Nile crocodile is too big for any jaguar to tackle and the much larger lion would have better chances with them. Still, the largest crocodiles are above then size range of what any big cat can take.

In the Orinoco Llanos jaguars coexist with crocodiles that are just as big as Nile crocodiles, this would be the best area to study crocodile-jaguar interactions, especially considering Llanos Jaguars are among the greatest. Due to overhunting the population of Orinoco crocodiles became very small so recording interactions between is close to impossible.

I am not 100% sure since crocodiles on the land are the same as terrestrial animals in the water.

Also, lions are social animals. People are overpraising the Nile crocodiles and saltwater crocodiles just like honey badgers and lions. Lions often hunt big animals like cape buffalo. They can hunt hippos, elephants, giraffes, and rhinos sometimes and I know it's really rare. 20ft crocodiles won't be different if lions possess jaguar's reptile killing skills. Lions are also hunting as a group. And I'm not talking about when they're in the water.

I don't think the honey badger analogy is appropriate, but I'm a little bit confused as to what your point is here. The largest crocodiles not only dwarf big cats in body mass, they're also equipped with deadlier weaponry and better protection through osteoderms.

While it's true that jaguars are the most skilled cat when it comes to killing crocodilians, there is only so much a jaguar can do, and big crocodiles would be way too large to handle let alone kill, even in dry land. We don't have any records of seriously large crocodiles (5 meters and upwards) falling prey to any big cat, doesn't matter if it's a jaguar, lion, or tiger. Crocodiles in this size class are too big and dangerous.

There is some data on jaguars predating juvenile Orinoco crocodiles but that's about it. Lion prides can definitely kill large crocodiles in dry land, but just like any heavy and dangerous prey (I think your comparisons to hippos and rhinos were appropriate) it would take a very long time and some could get badly injured in the process. In deep water, there is no contest.
3 users Like Balam's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 07:28 AM by lionjaguar )

(05-01-2021, 02:56 AM)Balam Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:23 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:

I don't think the honey badger analogy is appropriate, but I'm a little bit confused as to what your point is here. The largest crocodiles not only dwarf big cats in body mass, they're also equipped with deadlier weaponry and better protection through osteoderms.

While it's true that jaguars are the most skilled cat when it comes to killing crocodilians, there is only so much a jaguar can do, and big crocodiles would be way too large to handle let alone kill, even in dry land. We don't have any records of seriously large crocodiles (5 meters and upwards) falling prey to any big cat, doesn't matter if it's a jaguar or lion. Crocodiles in this size class are too big and dangerous.

There is some data on jaguars predating juvenile Orinoco crocodiles but that's about it. Lion prides can definitely kill large crocodiles in dry land, but just like any heavy and dangerous prey (I think your comparisons to hippos and rhinos were appropriate) it would take a very long time and some could get badly injured in the process. In deep water, there is no contest.

Any big cats can pierce through the osteoderms when they bite crocodiles. I worked with crocodiles and alligators before. Crocodiles are also slower on the land.

I don't think you can put 20 ft crocodiles with the same comparisons as with rhinos and hippos. I remember angry mom rhino (cub was dead and mother was furious) almost flipped a car when I was in Africa. The story about Gustave killed hippo is FULL OF CRAP. How do they even know that it was a bull hippo? Were they even close when Gustav attacked hippo? People were afraid of Gustave and they probably made up this story when Gustave was scavenging dead hippo. I don't believe Gustave killed hippo, but it could have been old or sick hippo. People overpraise Nile crocodiles and saltwater crocodiles lot sometimes. I have not seen saltwater crocodiles hunting. But it's amazing when you see Nile crocodiles are hunting other animals, but they will never be invincible. I remember one crocodile fan was saying that Nile crocodiles and saltwater crocodiles have stronger bite power than megalodon, which is 100% bullshit. I hope this person and wildfact users don't believe saltwater crocodiles and Nile crocodiles can kill megalodon. I am 100% think that 15-20m and 50 ton megalodon could kill any crocodile, alligator, and caiman in a single bite.
If saltwater crocodiles and Nile crocodiles were similar size to smaller crocodiles like Philippine crocodiles, Cuban crocodiles, and smaller caimans, then they would never be invincible. Even cougars could also hunt those smaller saltwater crocodiles or Nile crocodiles.
I am not sure when lion prides are hunting a big crocodiles if they have jaguar skills. I am sure big crocodiles are better, but any crocodiles can become really risky then. You saw a video of 3 lions are fighting against 4-5m long Nile crocodile in Samburu, Kenya.

You said about any records on large crocodiles falling prey. I believe this is due to there is no benefits for both 5-6 m long crocodiles and big cats would gain anything to fight each other. Neither animals will be victorious in nature. They just leave it alone unless situations is favor for them like crocodiles will always attack animals when big animals are swimming in the water.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2021, 05:58 AM by Balam )

Mexican jaguar attempting to hunt crocodiles, the species in unspecified but I'm sure it's Moreletts

PS @sanjay Facebook videos aren't embedding correctly.
3 users Like Balam's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Yes, due to different dimension, we are getting problem in fixing it.
If you have the downloaded video, we can upload it to WildFact's YouTube channel.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Big Nile with a Leopard Kill
4 users Like Pckts's post

Russian Federation TheSmok Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2021, 08:26 PM by TheSmok )

One lioness was killed by a crocodile and another was seriously injured.

From a Facebook post:

Quote:Two days later after her injury, Annie is on her feet, killed a warthog and drank from the river.

Annie the lioness has survived an encounter with a crocodile.
Yesterday in front of Kulalu Camp an incident occurred involving the young lioness, affectionately known as Annie.
The lioness was hunting impala on the bank of the Galana River, and was taken by a crocodile. A struggle in the water ensued, observed by the Kulalu Camp staff as she was pulled under. She finally emerged on the bank, injured.
The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust vet with Kenya Wildlife Service were immediately mobilised after a call. They provided excellent rapid response treatment and assessed her injuries including lacerations to her lower left fore leg.
Last night was critical for her, vulnerable to other predators however we are pleased to report this morning that Annie has been sighted. Her reaction was to promptly run away from the vehicle.
She has subsequently been spotted walking opposite the camp on the river bank in her usual spot.
Assessment and observations of the lioness will continue over the next days.
We would like to thank the team of many and prompt action of everyone who attended Annie.
Kulalu Camp will provide updates on this lioness which has captured the attention of so many in Kenya and around the world during covid-19 after her mother was killed by a crocodile in June 2020.
There was a video showing the severity of the lioness's injury on Facebook, but now it is not available - https://www.facebook.com/Kulalucamp/post...5886442001

Photos of Annie and Maggie are published here:
http://www.findglocal.com/KE/Tsavo/17805...ulalu-Camp
3 users Like TheSmok's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

That's unfortunate, I remember reading about her mother. How severe were her injuries?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

(06-08-2021, 04:42 PM)Tonpa Wrote: How severe were her injuries?

I was able to find photos and videos from the original facebook post on Chinese forums:

*This image is copyright of its original author

And here is the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B6niLdk...sp=sharing
2 users Like TheSmok's post

(02-17-2021, 04:00 AM)Luipaard Wrote:
Quote:The "Chinese site" had a post on the interaction dating back to 2017, the Facebook post was made in 2020, in the 2017 post the name of the guide is mentioned and later corroborated by the Facebook post, so it wasn't any random post, not to mention that in the 2017 post the picture included is that of the actual camera showing the shot in it.

The Facebook post is basically an account back from 3 December 2016 hence the uploader shared the date. It's also worth mentioning that the Chinese post appears to be from a random poster whereas the Facebook one is from a person who witnessed this encounter.

I may be writing this too late, but the Chinese poster posted a screenshot with a comment of the author of this photo on facebook:

2 users Like TheSmok's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-09-2021, 11:13 PM by Luipaard )

(06-09-2021, 11:03 PM)TheSmok Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 04:00 AM)Luipaard Wrote:
Quote:The "Chinese site" had a post on the interaction dating back to 2017, the Facebook post was made in 2020, in the 2017 post the name of the guide is mentioned and later corroborated by the Facebook post, so it wasn't any random post, not to mention that in the 2017 post the picture included is that of the actual camera showing the shot in it.

The Facebook post is basically an account back from 3 December 2016 hence the uploader shared the date. It's also worth mentioning that the Chinese post appears to be from a random poster whereas the Facebook one is from a person who witnessed this encounter.

I may be writing this too late, but the Chinese poster posted a screenshot with a comment of the author of this photo on facebook:

I have a hard time believing that a fight can last this long. The story goes that he crossed the road with the crocodile and that it happened quickly. And they then decided to stick around this long? I'm sorry but I doubt it.
1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Stand-off in Masai Mara between a leopard and large crocodile over a kill:

saloni.jhaveri
4 users Like Luipaard's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

The Crocodile killed by the Leopard was stated to be longer, which was confirmed by the main photographer and his guide.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/52695595...229589600/
3 users Like Styx38's post