There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birmingham Pride of lions

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

3 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

For some reason I couldn't comment and post the video at the same time.

Anyway, the Ross males allowed their son to mate with the female, now this is an interesting behavior.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-04-2024, 05:07 AM)Mapokser Wrote: For some reason I couldn't comment and post the video at the same time.

Anyway, the Ross males allowed their son to mate with the female, now this is an interesting behavior.

Wow, I have never even heard of such behavior before, not even young Makhulu was permitted to mate. He was allowed to do everything else a member of the coalition might do, but I never heard of him doing that.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@BA0701 Makhulu did mate tho, their fathers tried to chase him but failed and gave up. Next month there was a new female in estrus but this time one of the 2 remaining WSM dominated the mating rights, leaving Makhulu and the other one watching. Mala Mala reports it, see post 2,447:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-mig...s?page=164

However the difference is that Makhulu was a full on member of the coalition at that point, while in this case here, the 2 Ross are territorial and their son a nomad, they bumped into him and the Breakaway female ( according to the guide ), and joined them. There was that interaction from the other video and then the young male was eventually allowed to mate which is very interesting.

Most nomadic sons are chased by their fathers on spot if they meet again, sometimes they may allow their sons to stay close by that day after a warning, but I doubt they'd normally share a kill or worse, a female.

As I had said, I've seen this happening with leopards, but we could say that being 1v1 the father would rather share the female with the son than fight him for exclusive rights, which isn't possible with unknown leopards as they have to fight or flee, being 100% enemies.

With the Ross, they are 2 and in perfect shape so they could easily chase their 4yo son away.

Maybe instead of teaming up against their son, it became a battle royal between the 3 and the son won, but even if this was the case, it's very unique as normally the fathers would chase the son, and be very aggressive if there's a female in heat around, then after that they'd compete for the female.

But anyway there's also the possibility Fabio mated first as he was closer to the female, and at some point the 2 Ross allowed their son to have his turn.

Regardless of how it played out though, it was a very unique sighting, awesome behaviour that is for sure very rare.

This young Birmingham is another solo young male up there in Timbavati, the Avoca male would possibly be a good partner for him, as it seems they roam similar areas.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-04-2024, 05:56 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @BA0701 Makhulu did mate tho, their fathers tried to chase him but failed and gave up. Next month there was a new female in estrus but this time one of the 2 remaining WSM dominated the mating rights, leaving Makhulu and the other one watching. Mala Mala reports it, see post 2,447:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-mig...s?page=164

However the difference is that Makhulu was a full on member of the coalition at that point, while in this case here, the 2 Ross are territorial and their son a nomad, they bumped into him and the Breakaway female ( according to the guide ), and joined them. There was that interaction from the other video and then the young male was eventually allowed to mate which is very interesting.

Most nomadic sons are chased by their fathers on spot if they meet again, sometimes they may allow their sons to stay close by that day after a warning, but I doubt they'd normally share a kill or worse, a female.

As I had said, I've seen this happening with leopards, but we could say that being 1v1 the father would rather share the female with the son than fight him for exclusive rights, which isn't possible with unknown leopards as they have to fight or flee, being 100% enemies.

With the Ross, they are 2 and in perfect shape so they could easily chase their 4yo son away.

Maybe instead of teaming up against their son, it became a battle royal between the 3 and the son won, but even if this was the case, it's very unique as normally the fathers would chase the son, and be very aggressive if there's a female in heat around, then after that they'd compete for the female.

But anyway there's also the possibility Fabio mated first as he was closer to the female, and at some point the 2 Ross allowed their son to have his turn.

Regardless of how it played out though, it was a very unique sighting, awesome behaviour that is for sure very rare.

This young Birmingham is another solo young male up there in Timbavati, the Avoca male would possibly be a good partner for him, as it seems they roam similar areas.

I was unaware that Makhulu had ever mated when he was with the WSMs, like this situation, that situation was very strange from the start.

In terms of the Ross Males, I believe it was Tyson, surprisingly, who did in fact share a meal with BYM, after BYM had joined with Torchwood, along with other members of the pride. Torchwood was not present, but BYM suddenly showed up at a kill, and Tyson allowed him to feed beside them, though there was definitely no mating happening in that incident. Closest I saw BYM to mating with other Birmingham Pride members was some sniffing and flehmen grimacing, and even then many of us commented how he had better not get caught, or his injuries could be made worse.

As we mentioned earlier, Fabio seemed rather intent on being close with this female, so this is very surprising to see either him or Tyson to permit this to happen.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

This could be the start of a coalition with their own fathers, like Notch did with his sons in the past. Let’s see how this unfolds and what Ross males do
2 users Like T I N O's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

Although the Ross are very old, they are still in great shape, not nomadic and under no pressure.

So I doubt they'll want a new partner, also it wouldn't be good for the young male, he needs younger partners, not his fathers who will probably not live for much longer, never mind help him take a new territory.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

BigLion39 Offline

(06-03-2024, 06:40 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Not sure if i ever saw this kind of behaviour.

It looks to me more like Fabio realized he was hanging with that lioness and Tyson was too close after both yelling  at their son for a minute.  Im not sure he was protecting his son!
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-04-2024, 12:14 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: looks to me more like Fabio realized he was hanging with that lioness and Tyson was too close after both yelling  at their son for a minute.  Im not sure he was protecting his son!

Yea i realized that after.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Young Birmingham male mating with BBreakaway lioness, with Ross males present:

Credits: Johansmalman

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-04-2024, 07:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Young Birmingham male mating with BBreakaway lioness, with Ross males present:

Credits: Johansmalman

*This image is copyright of its original author

That is interesting. Last time one of the male lions was heading towards him, and the other male lion defended him. The young male lion must of stayed and be around because one of the male lions must be ok with him staying and staying around. I wonder if this is kind of how Makulu from the Mapogo male lions stayed around with the Sparta pride. I know it is said Makuhulu join the pride, but he eventually got older and he was part of the West Street male lions coalition, because he stayed around and helped the pride with hunting and patrolling; I think that is what happened. The West Street male lions were older. The Ross male lions they are 12 years of age?

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-05-2024, 12:47 AM)Go131810 Wrote: The Ross male lions they are 12 years of age?

13.5 yrs old atm.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-05-2024, 12:54 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 12:47 AM)Go131810 Wrote: The Ross male lions they are 12 years of age?

13.5 yrs old atm.

Hi thanks. They are older than I thought. In Kruger there is usually more male lions that get to that age?
1 user Likes Go131810's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2024, 09:23 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-05-2024, 07:11 AM)Go131810 Wrote: In Kruger there is usually more male lions that get to that age?

No, average lifespan of male lions in Kruger is 9-10 yrs (obiviously not all die from old age tho).

Healthy males can reach to 14-15 yrs of age, but its rare.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-05-2024, 09:22 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 07:11 AM)Go131810 Wrote: In Kruger there is usually more male lions that get to that age?

No, average lifespan of male lions in Kruger is 9-10 yrs (obiviously not all die from old age tho).

Healthy males can reach to 14-15 yrs of age, but its rare.

Oh ok it seems there has been a few in Sabi Sands. They get to 11 or 12. Makulu and Pretty Boy, Golden mane, and Scar nose? The Selatie male lion he made it to 9 or 10. The Matimbas? Nehna Birmingham was 10?
1 user Likes Go131810's post