There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birmingham Pride of lions

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

So what happened to the white male? The Ross males must have kicked him and his brothers out by now. I see that the white female is adult and still a pride members. Glad to see that!
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(05-30-2024, 04:58 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: So what happened to the white male? The Ross males must have kicked him and his brothers out by now. I see that the white female is adult and still a pride members. Glad to see that!

The White Male and his two tawnie brothers have been in the areas north east of ngala for a year now I think.
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-30-2024, 04:58 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: So what happened to the white male? The Ross males must have kicked him and his brothers out by now. I see that the white female is adult and still a pride members. Glad to see that!

White male and the two tawny males are spending time in the Northern parts of Timbavati. Often seen in Ntsiri/Umbabat and Ingwelala areas, and often venturing into Kruger into big wilderness area where rangers not can go
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A dream sighting at Kruger last Saturday morning!

The entire Birmingham pride on the move including the white lioness and one of its two pride males, the bigger maned Mbiri male. The white cub was also there, just not visible here. 

Kruger National Park
Photo credits: Hanno Erasmus

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like T I N O's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-30-2024, 09:42 PM by Mapokser )

Wow, amazing.

I hope Shaka is near by, last 2 or so sightings had only Scar with the pride, these 2 Mbiris split way too much, probably reason they are always caught, but they are so strong ( and lucky ) that they have survived all these fights while outnumbered and made full recoveries.

If these Birmingham cubs survive to adulthood ( I think older ones are 1,5 already ), Mbiris will possibly be the most successful duo ever, I legitimately wouldn't be able to think of a more successful duo.

Edit: Btw, how many cubs so far? I remember there were at least 15, but more were born later.
6 users Like Mapokser's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-30-2024, 09:20 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Wow, amazing.

I hope Shaka is near by, last 2 or so sightings had only Scar with the pride, these 2 Mbiris split way too much, probably reason they are always caught, but they are so strong ( and lucky ) that they have survived all these fights while outnumbered and made full recoveries.

If these Birmingham cubs survive to adulthood ( I think older ones are 1,5 already ), Mbiris will possibly be the most successful duo ever, I legitimately wouldn't be able to think of a more successful duo.

Edit: Btw, how many cubs so far? I remember there were at least 15, but more were born later.

18 so far.
4 users Like T I N O's post

Contributor

Sighting of Tawny member of 1/3 Young Birmingham Males mating w a lioness . the same group of the White Male.

"guests witnessing the circle of life in action ?

An incredible moment captured in the wild. Lions can mate up to 50 times a day during their mating period, ensuring the females have the best chance of conceiving."

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

The White Dot female still going strong:

Very impressive considering the last of her brothers died over 3 years ago at the age of 14.

If she's littermate to the older Matimbas she's probably 18yo already or will turn 18 any day now. And even if she's from HB's litter, by the looks of it she'll make it to December/January and turn 18 anyway.
8 users Like Mapokser's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

White dot is a legend of Ngala. She is part of a strong pride with healthy members. Which is really good since she could live pretty well. Age is just a number to her
5 users Like T I N O's post

Contributor

(05-31-2024, 09:29 PM)T I N O Wrote: White dot is a legend of Ngala. She is part of a strong pride with healthy members. Which is really good since she could live pretty well. Age is just a number to her

I totally agree. A true legend of legends. I miss seeing her on the WE broadcasts but it’s great to still get glimpses of her every now and again.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2024, 06:43 PM by Tr1x24 )

Very interesting encounter between Ross males, their Birmingham son and BBreakaway lioness, as after showing dominance over young male, Fabio stops Tyson from further attacks:

Not sure if i ever saw this kind of behaviour.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-03-2024, 06:40 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Very interesting encounter between Ross males, their Birmingham son and BBreakaway lioness, as after showing dominance over young male, Fabio stops Tyson from further attacks:

Not sure if i ever saw this kind of behaviour.

Those two kill me, always the odd couple. Though we never saw it like this, back when BYM was injured, he would often stick very close to Fabio, trying to keep his distance from Tyson, who the guides referred to as "The Mean One". It made me wonder, back then, if such a thing was occurring during that time.

I love how Fabio gives the young male a gentle swat, as if to say, you just stay down there, young lad, I'll handle this.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2024, 07:29 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-03-2024, 06:56 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Those two kill me, always the odd couple. Though we never saw it like this, back when BYM was injured, he would often stick very close to Fabio, trying to keep his distance from Tyson, who the guides referred to as "The Mean One". It made me wonder, back then, if such a thing was occurring during that time.

I love how Fabio gives the young male a gentle swat, as if to say, you just stay down there, young lad, I'll handle this.

Now after looking at this few times, i think female might play a role why Fabio "attacked" Tyson, as Fabio immidiately returned to female which he has over Tyson.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-03-2024, 07:27 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-03-2024, 06:56 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Those two kill me, always the odd couple. Though we never saw it like this, back when BYM was injured, he would often stick very close to Fabio, trying to keep his distance from Tyson, who the guides referred to as "The Mean One". It made me wonder, back then, if such a thing was occurring during that time.

Now after looking at this few times, i think female might play role why Fabio "attacked" Tyson, as Fabio immidiately returned to female, so i guess young males was kinda lucky that female was there.

I noticed the same thing, but if that female is coming into season, I would have expected Fabio to react to the young male as well, but he seemed entirely disinterested in him.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

The Ross are incredible, they're 13,5yo but you could watch this video and mistake them for 8yo males.

Anyway this is not the first time I've seen such interactions and behaviours, it's probably not so uncommon, after all, each lion has its own personality and therefore might not be in sync regarding attacking their sons or not. One may be more aggressive, wanting the son out, while the other might be more tolerant and see no reason for why his offspring must be attacked.

Even in other cats that are not social, like leopards, there are instances where the father tolerates his adult son, I've even seen father and son mating with the same female at the same time.

To my understanding, the Birmingham male is a nomad already so Fabio probably don't see him bumping into his son from time to time as a big deal.

One instance I remember seeing, I think it was in East Africa, one of the dominant males started charging at his sons to chase them off, but his partner charged at him to stop him, however the aggressive male chased his partner off before turning back to finish chasing the sons.

Here with the Ross however, the more tolerant male successfully defended the son from his brother.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post