There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

United States afortich Online
Contributor

DM

10 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

King Mohawk and the gang

6 users Like afortich's post

WildLeonis Away
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2023, 05:15 AM by WildLeonis )

(09-21-2023, 12:03 AM)afortich Wrote: King Mohawk and the gang

Great work by the Avoca sons helping take down that Buffalo. Though not in the most ideal location. I laughed at Mohawk snarling and just tapping his feet in the water. He refused to enter at first. Lions absolutely detest water and he made that clear by his actions by not even participating in the feast to start because he didn’t want to get wet. But then hunger finally prevailed. Lol
6 users Like WildLeonis's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
8 users Like Horizon's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Avoca Males

June & July 2023  - No Sightings

August 2023

The Northern Avoca male was again on MalaMala after several months with no sightings. 
  • On the 18th , he was at Clarendon Dam with four adult sons from the Nkuhuma Pride. 
  • On the 20th, he helped the members of the Nkuhuma pride kill a male buffalo at Buffalo Bush Dam, which they feasted on until the two Ndhzenga males and three lionesses of the Kambula Pride stole the kill the following morning. 
  • On the 27th, he killed a buffalo with two of his older sons from the Nkuhuma pride at Emsagwen Waterhole. They were joined by two other young males from the Nkuhuma pride the next day before being chased east by the Ndhzenga males. 
Only one of the Southern Avoca males was seen on MalaMala this month. 
  • The first sighting of this male was on the 16th west of Beaumont’s Camp as he trailed four lionesses from the Talamati Pride. 
  • He stole the remains of a buffalo kill from the Kambula pride south of Styx Rocks on the 21st . He was missing several of his teeth and had several injuries on his hind legs, potentially from a begrudged lioness or previous interactions with the Nkuhlu males. 
  • On the 27th, he followed two young females from the Styx Pride in the Sand River at Verreaux’s Crossing.
5 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Mohawk by himself looking a bit on the slimmer side but not really worried as the Nkuhumas are known for being great hunters. Guide is convinced Mohawk is either one of the BDMs or Talamati YMs until he lifts his head and shows his teeth, goes to show how healthy he seems to be. 

7 users Like KM600's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

Has there been any word on the last S Avoca? Last I recall is when he had made his way back to the outskirts of their old territory, then nothing else. I ask, as the Nkhulus are now in Gijima territory.

I know we are a long way from that point, in fact this is the only similarity I see at the moment, but having not been around when the Mapogo began their reign, it must have at least felt similar, for all the havoc and destruction they laid upon the lion population at that time.
2 users Like BA0701's post

(10-05-2023, 04:19 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Has there been any word on the last S Avoca? Last I recall is when he had made his way back to the outskirts of their old territory, then nothing else. I ask, as the Nkhulus are now in Gijima territory.

I know we are a long way from that point, in fact this is the only similarity I see at the moment, but having not been around when the Mapogo began their reign, it must have at least felt similar, for all the havoc and destruction they laid upon the lion population at that time.
Not that I know of, but seems he’s always been good at avoiding attention from guides. Another reason could be because South/East is so packed at the moment, ppl are more likely to find the other male lions that are in coalitions, Gijimas have been pretty much everywhere from their prides to being with the Talamati females, Nkuhuma has also been following the Talamatis, Nkhulus are pretty hard to miss, Talamati YMs been known to follow buffalo and same with Kambula YMs who’ve also started roaring recently. No information on him could be because of an altercation with the Nkhulus but most likely it’s cos he’s just been by himself.
3 users Like KM600's post

Contributor

4 users Like afortich's post

After all the talk of the which prides are best for the newer coalitions to takeover in all the other threads, I started to think about the best prides in SS. Come to the conclusion that most people would say Kambula Pride because of the sheer amount of lionesses whereas u could also argue Nkuhuma Pride as we’ve seen before with the N.Avocas it’s very possible u can also control Talamati Pride as they’ve been located so close to each other in the past. Which makes it kind of crazy the N.Avocas nearly had all three prides, not saying their legacy isn’t already cemented but if they were able to successfully sire cubs in all three prides, I think they would be up there with the WSM in terms of spreading their bloodline in SS.
1 user Likes KM600's post

BigLion39 Offline

Except they didn't have Kambulas. If Nwaswishakas didn't come they might have took it from Nhena And Tinyo but I doubt they would have sired any cubs and if they did Blondie still would have died and I doubt Mohawk would have been successful in raising a generation of offspring with Kambulas. Even still Northern Avocas did a great job.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

1999gc8 Offline

Mohawk with his older son. Appears to be Ridge noses son. 

3 users Like 1999gc8's post

1999gc8 Offline

Mohawk with his four sons.

3 users Like 1999gc8's post

Wish there were more updates on the sub-adult male, been wanting to see how he’s developing.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Northern Avoca Male

The Northern Avoca male was seen fewer times this month, and each time, he was alone rather than with his sons from the Nkuhuma pride. 
  • He was east of the central parts of the Matshapiri River on the 9 th, and he was at Tlebe Rocks on the 15th
Southern Avoca Male

The last remaining Southern Avoca male was seen twice in September. 
  • On the 1st and the 25th, he was in the Sand River at the confluence of the Rock Drift Donga. It is presumed that the other male has been chased off or killed by the invading Nkuhlu males, which leaves an uncertain future for the remaining male. 
5 users Like Tonpa's post