There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Ngonya Online

(11-26-2023, 10:06 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I think it's safe to say at this point that the other Southern Avoca is gone right?  Sad that we'll never really know what happened to him.
I think most people already thought that he was gone in the same month that he disappeared. But yes, he is certainly dead

impressive, this last Southern Avoca looks very well!
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The only alternative theory is that he somehow got in a big fight with his brother and decided to split up. Disappearing into Kruger as a nomad. 
Which is very unlikely.

No idea what did do him in though. Could be anything from a hunting accident to a fight with a rival coalition.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Worst thing is majority of us had still seen them as the strongest duo in Sabi Sands just a few months ago. We’ll never know how the bigger Southern Avoca passed but I just hope it was him refusing to back down to the Nkhulus or any other males as opposed to a hunting injury or a rapid decline in health meaning he went out on his own terms. They will always have my respect for standing up against the Nkhulus for as long as they did, same with the Gijimas.
3 users Like KM600's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Young Avoca and Guernsey

3 users Like afortich's post

Ngonya Online

last Southern Avoca on H1/2 early this morning, by Dicky Rutzen

*This image is copyright of its original author
11 users Like Ngonya's post

( This post was last modified: 12-10-2023, 01:34 AM by KM600 )

There u go, would have edited for u but I’m not a mod. ‘Three Imbali males chased Mohawk from a buffalo he killed after they had first ate together’ - 21st November 

2 users Like KM600's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Thanks lol I tried like 20 times
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

(12-10-2023, 01:38 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Thanks lol I tried like 20 times

All good even @BA0701 can vouch I went thru a similar stage trying to send things into threads. Just make sure u delete the above messages if u can.
2 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(11-27-2023, 01:14 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The only alternative theory is that he somehow got in a big fight with his brother and decided to split up. Disappearing into Kruger as a nomad. 
Which is very unlikely.

No idea what did do him in though. Could be anything from a hunting accident to a fight with a rival coalition.

Southern Avocas, Plains Camp Males, Mbiris, are a few of a very short list of lion coalitions that I could not fathom ever being separated for an extended period of time, except in death. They are all the tightest of tight, some of the closest creatures outside of humans and swans I have seen. While literally anything is always possible, in those instances I'd have to see it before I would ever believe it.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2023, 02:22 AM by BA0701 )

(12-10-2023, 01:46 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 01:38 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Thanks lol I tried like 20 times

All good even @BA0701 can vouch I went thru a similar stage trying to send things into threads. Just make sure u delete the above messages if u can.

Thank you, @KM600, for assisting @Friarfan619!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Mwk85 Offline

Mohawk and sons looking well fed after eating a buffalo 

6 users Like Mwk85's post

Contributor

2 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

Southern Avoca looking great.

2 users Like afortich's post

(12-12-2023, 11:01 PM)afortich Wrote: Southern Avoca looking great.

Not sure about great, sure he has no new injuries but he’s quite slim. He was last spotted in Northern Londolozi but I heard he was heading towards Singita.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Contributor

Mohawk relaxing with the whole gang.

5 users Like afortich's post