There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

5 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-04-2023, 08:30 PM)Potato Wrote:

I assume after they chased them, they got back with the pride? If so, this is really great to see, but it does draw into question what happens with his sons now, does the coalition continue, or do things return to what they were before they split?

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(09-04-2023, 08:20 PM)KM600 Wrote: They hold/held territory in both KNP and SS, as far as I know they didn’t just inherit this territory like the N.Avocas had done with the Talamati and Nkuhuma Prides. No matter how the situation may have ended against the Nkhulu males and Dreadlocks they held them off for much longer than expected and when they caught them together it was said the Nkhulu males left Dreadlocks to get severely injured, it was even reported his back leg was broken and death was imminent at first. Ur right very little info is known about them, but u don’t get a duo this successful and dominant with one completely inferior male especially due to the fact they would have been outnumbered for the majority of their lives. Reason I said Nkuhuma couldn’t match him physically is because Skorro Jr was known to dominate him constantly whether it was females or food during the short time of their partnership, if u can even call it that, was also the reason ppl have claimed it didn’t work out for either male. U got to remember this Avoca has been a pride male for however many years he most likely won’t have the mentality of a nomadic male, yet, don’t be surprised if there’s videos of him chasing off other lions that he could instead form a partnership with, for all we know he still thinks his brother is alive.

Ok, but thats all assumption, as i said we have 0 idea how this Avoca will behave in this, for him completley new situation, even tho he was great king.

Also, NK being more submissive is actually not bad for making new coalition, its far less likely that 2 more agressive and dominant males will form a coalition then when is 1 more submissive.

You mentioned Tumbela, he is more on a dominant/agressive side, thats the reason he is still alone, and prob will be for rest of his live.

While NK already formed 2 coalitions, and had many more pot encounters who didnt turn good, like with BDM after Styx died, with Talamatis, Tumbela etc, but he is atleast trying.

He has far more chances to find partner that way and have better opportunities in life.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tylermartin! Offline

Wait wait wait are we forgetting the southern Avoca has a nomadic son wondering the southern sabi sands they could join forces if he finds his son the plains camp young male… when was the last time he was seen? And nkuhuma males best chance is go go far north maybe run it it he talamati males or the imbali young males

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(09-04-2023, 09:36 PM)Tylermartin! Wrote: Wait wait wait are we forgetting the southern Avoca has a nomadic son wondering the southern sabi sands they could join forces if he finds his son the plains camp young male… when was the last time he was seen? And nkuhuma males best chance is go go far north maybe run it it he talamati males or the imbali young males
Last seen end of July at Kirkman’s Kamp.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

It's indeed a good thing NK is on the submissive side which would help him form a coalition.

As for him not being able to "match" S.Avoca physically, my impression is that NK is the bigger of the 2. He was dominated by Tumbela, yes, but not because he was physically weaker and when he physically pushed Tumbela from a kill to have his spot, Tumbela couldn't move him and had to sit on him instead.

NK also has a lot of fighting experience, especially with rival males, his only issue is his confidence, but when he tries he does greatly, just watch how he handled his 4 half-siblings attacking him.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

(09-04-2023, 11:36 PM)Mapokser Wrote: It's indeed a good thing NK is on the submissive side which would help him form a coalition.

As for him not being able to "match" S.Avoca physically, my impression is that NK is the bigger of the 2. He was dominated by Tumbela, yes, but not because he was physically weaker and when he physically pushed Tumbela from a kill to have his spot, Tumbela couldn't move him and had to sit on him instead.

NK also has a lot of fighting experience, especially with rival males, his only issue is his confidence, but when he tries he does greatly, just watch how he handled his 4 half-siblings attacking him.
Agree with a lot of ur points, he’s not a small lion I just think his mentality is where his issues are and that’s what holds him back but him against the young Kambula males to me was more highlighting their inexperience/resistance to hurt him rather than his physical presence.

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

I don't think NK will run in a 1 vs 1 fight. In all the clips I've watched, he's always been chased by 2 lions.

( This post was last modified: 09-05-2023, 12:12 AM by KM600 )

(09-04-2023, 11:55 PM)afortich Wrote: I don't think NK will run in a 1 vs 1 fight. In all the clips I've watched, he's always been chased by 2 lions.
Don’t wanna go on too much about this as it’s not really anything to do with the Avocas but he did run away from the bigger Talamati male which was quite strange seeing as they were together while the lighter Talamati male was spending time with Mohawk and his sons. Didn’t lead to a fight as they ended up settling down together near each other albeit growling after so not really sure if u want to count it.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I have to agree. Nym is no pushover. He just has had a lot of bad luck of ending up with lions that either died, were too much of a bully or were already in a group and not looking for new members. But he keeps trying. 
The Southern Avoca just lost his partner and the bond he had with him was amazing. So clearly he has a good social intelligence and probably wont fall in the trap of becoming overbearing to the point of chasing Nym away. 

So if both lions are willing, there is no reason why they cant join. Though for now, the two probably aren't even aware of each others existence.

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-05-2023, 12:51 AM by afortich )

(09-05-2023, 12:11 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(09-04-2023, 11:55 PM)afortich Wrote: I don't think NK will run in a 1 vs 1 fight. In all the clips I've watched, he's always been chased by 2 lions.
Don’t wanna go on too much about this as it’s not really anything to do with the Avocas but he did run away from the bigger Talamati male which was quite strange seeing as they were together while the lighter Talamati male was spending time with Mohawk and his sons. Didn’t lead to a fight as they ended up settling down together near each other albeit growling after so not really sure if u want to count it.

I believe NK was trying to join him and not to engage in a real fight. Something similar happened between BYM and Torchwood male, they were chasing each other before forming the Mongawane coalition.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@KM600 He was chased by the 2 Talamatis, not only 1. And he had a limp.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

(09-05-2023, 12:47 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @KM600 He was chased by the 2 Talamatis, not only 1. And he had a limp.
In the video the lighter Talamati male was quite far behind, didn’t seem as interested as the bigger Talamati in the chase.

Contributor

(09-05-2023, 01:03 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 12:47 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @KM600 He was chased by the 2 Talamatis, not only 1. And he had a limp.
In the video the lighter Talamati male was quite far behind, didn’t seem as interested as the bigger Talamati in the chase.

Right, the blondie Talamati was behind. Maybe he was not that interested because, if I recall correctly, a few days before that incident he tolerated the presence of NK boy but at the end DM Talamati didn't want him.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Mwk85 Offline

Deon Kelbrick (deon_wildlifephotography IG) posted a short clip in his story feed showing Mohawk and his sons roaring!

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Mwk85's post