There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Recently posted but not sure if recently recorded.

5 users Like afortich's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Is 1 son?? missing or am I remembering the number of male sons wrong??

Tylermartin! Offline

(09-05-2023, 08:36 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Is 1 son?? missing or am I remembering the number of male sons wrong??

Should be 4 sons
1 user Likes Tylermartin!'s post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(09-05-2023, 08:36 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Is 1 son?? missing or am I remembering the number of male sons wrong??
It’t pitch black he was more than likely in the area.
2 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Interesting that they are roaring, and it's not the first time. Kambulas are much older and nothing for now. Guess those Matimba genes might have been showing in the Nkuhumas.

If they are roaring now, it's quite possible that they'll soon grow in confidence to confront BDM and if this happens, they'll likely oust BDM.

BDM had their chance and failed at ousting Mohawk and his sons for good, and taking over NK pride. If they don't make a decisive move soon, it'll be way too late for them, as Mohawk and sons are 5 strong, and roaring already.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(09-05-2023, 11:53 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Interesting that they are roaring, and it's not the first time. Kambulas are much older and nothing for now. Guess those Matimba genes might have been showing in the Nkuhumas.

If they are roaring now, it's quite possible that they'll soon grow in confidence to confront BDM and if this happens, they'll likely oust BDM.

BDM had their chance and failed at ousting Mohawk and his sons for good, and taking over NK pride. If they don't make a decisive move soon, it'll be way too late for them, as Mohawk and sons are 5 strong, and roaring already.

Exactly what I thought when they were roaring. To me it signifies a big change in Mohawk, and his sons, state of mind. As long as they stick together, and if the young males get their confidence under them enough to take a stand when confronted, it really changes the state of things for their future prospects.

So many questions yet to be answered, if they oust the BDM, do they continue on as a 5 member coalition, if Mohawks stays with the Talamatis as he used to does he allow his sons to stay? I believe if they do in fact oust the BDMs, as a group, then it would be likely that they continue as a coalition, I don't think Mohawk would push them out if that happens. Say what you will about that possible situation, it is not the first time such a thing has happened and won't be the last, but I think it could be a big deal for Mohawk's future.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

(09-05-2023, 11:53 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Interesting that they are roaring, and it's not the first time. Kambulas are much older and nothing for now. Guess those Matimba genes might have been showing in the Nkuhumas.

Wouldn’t say they failed, Mohawk up until this point has just played it perfectly, the BDMs were never gonna catch them when they were constantly retreating. I agree with the part about the Nkuhuma Pride, all their time and effort should have been spent trying to takeover or even pursue the Talamati Pride who has had no pride male since the start of the year, instead they’ve been chasing the young Talamatis, chased S8, injured one of the NSW for pretty much no reason as they had nothing to gain, as far as I know they didn’t attempt a serious takeover for the Kambula Pride.
1 user Likes KM600's post

( This post was last modified: 09-06-2023, 12:19 AM by KM600 )

(09-06-2023, 12:10 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Exactly what I thought when they were roaring. To me it signifies a big change in Mohawk, and his sons, state of mind. As long as they stick together, and if the young males get their confidence under them enough to take a stand when confronted, it really changes the state of things for their future prospects.

So many questions yet to be answered, if they oust the BDM, do they continue on as a 5 member coalition, if Mohawks stays with the Talamatis as he used to does he allow his sons to stay? I believe if they do in fact oust the BDMs, as a group, then it would be likely that they continue as a coalition, I don't think Mohawk would push them out if that happens. Say what you will about that possible situation, it is not the first time such a thing has happened and won't be the last, but I think it could be a big deal for Mohawk's future.
Not sure the Nkuhuma lionesses would willingly mate with their sons, even so they’d have to takeover a second pride as 5 males in one pride is just too big a number, they’d pretty much be able to takeover any pride they see fit under the current lion coaltion dynamics in SS. Would most likely split to focus on separate pride kinda like what the BRB have done in MM.
3 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-06-2023, 12:20 AM by BA0701 )

(09-06-2023, 12:16 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(09-06-2023, 12:10 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Not sure the Nkuhuma lionesses would willingly mate with their sons, even so they’d have to takeover a second pride as 5 males in one pride is just too big a number, they’d pretty much be able to takeover any pride they see fit under the current lion coaltion dynamics in SS.

Yeah, agreed, so many unknowns and we have a long way to get to that point, but it has happened before. Currently with the Mbiris, and who can forget the Notches, possibly the most famous father/sons coalition..
3 users Like BA0701's post

Tylermartin! Offline

So the bigger southern avoca may be gone and we don’t know where he went missing let’s say it happened deeper in Kruger why has the smaller southern avoca not returned to the plains camp or sand river pride (2) and the sand river pride has been seen a lot further north recently they must be avoiding you know who but what happened The nhkulus aren’t making moves on the pride so it can’t be them they just took a giraffe kill from the pride and didn’t attack the pride
2 users Like Tylermartin!'s post

(09-11-2023, 11:03 AM)Tylermartin! Wrote: So the bigger southern avoca may be gone and we don’t know where he went missing let’s say it happened deeper in Kruger why has the smaller southern avoca not returned to the plains camp or sand river pride (2) and the sand river pride has been seen a lot further north recently they must be avoiding you know who but what happened The nhkulus aren’t making moves on the pride so it can’t be them they just took a giraffe kill from the pride and didn’t attack the pride
Ibr I’m not even guessing what happened anymore cos the whole situation doesn’t make sense.
2 users Like KM600's post

Ngonya Online

The last northern avoca male.

We can't be sure what to expect for the future of Mohawk and his sons.

If they really manage to takeover a pride, it would be something very similar to the Notch coalition just like @BA0701 mentioned..

*This image is copyright of its original author

Credits: Deon Kelbrick
10 users Like Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(09-16-2023, 11:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Is that the Southern Avoca?
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-17-2023, 03:43 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Is that the Southern Avoca?

Yes.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post