There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Mwk85 Offline

13 users Like Mwk85's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

To give context as to the age of Mohawk, Blondie and DarkMane, I am posting some photos a friend used to determine that in her estimate, they’re all littermates.    There were no other litters w males that age.    The S Avocas are about 6-8 months older.

Dark Mane and Mohawk with Blondie in the back with no mane .

DM is most identifiable and no question there.    But to prove Mohawk, look at the left canine.   It is crooked.    Photo comparisons to prove.    Blondie had perfect teeth.  

Since there’s a big difference in mane development at this would think Blondie is younger,,,,but he was simply a late bloomer.

Over the times, this photo had always been labeled as DM and Blondie up front because most would think that Mohawk was the last to get his mane (hence his name). But this shows who is who.

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-21-2024, 11:54 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: To give context as to the age of Mohawk, Blondie and DarkMane, I am posting some photos a friend used to determine that in her estimate, they’re all littermates.    There were no other litters w males that age.    The S Avocas are about 6-8 months older.

Dark Mane and Mohawk with Blondie in the back with no mane .

DM is most identifiable and no question there.    But to prove Mohawk, look at the left canine.   It is crooked.    Photo comparisons to prove.    Blondie had perfect teeth.  

Since there’s a big difference in mane development at this  would think Blondie is younger,,,,but he was simply a late bloomer.  

Over the times, this photo had always been labeled as DM and Blondie up front because most would think that Mohawk was the last to get his mane (hence his name).  But this shows who is who.

Fantastic breakdown, of a long discussed topic. Thank you!
5 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Mohawk with the gang

8 users Like afortich's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-02-2024, 05:54 AM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Added additional information )

Southern Avoca is still around but his condition
is still deteriorating. Loss of muscle mass and his teeth are said to be "completely broken down so even feeding is difficult". Don't see old boy being around much longer, unfortunately. Picture is from a few weeks ago but he was seen at Sabi Sabi yesterday according to Jason Street.

7 users Like Mwk85's post

WildLeonis Away
( This post was last modified: 04-03-2024, 06:58 AM by WildLeonis )

So sad to see the remaining Southern Avoca deteriorate like this. He looks way older than his age. Sad. It must be really tough on a lion like himself who’d been with a brother with whom he was inseparable, after losing that brother. Once the brother is lost I imagine it’s more difficult for the remaining member of the duo to keep going strong. Unlike his northern brothers he doesn’t have his son for support (ie Mohawk). And based on his condition he likely doesn’t have pride he can occasionally use to get a meal ( ie Mohawk, and DM when he was alive). I’m always amazed at how quickly things can go south for these lions. Just a few months ago many of us were awed by the Southern Avocas holding their own against a coalition of 4. Then not long after that one disappeared and this one that remains started to decline. What a hard knock life these lions live in the wild, especially the males.
8 users Like WildLeonis's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Absolutely.  And you wonder if some of it is hastened by the mental fact that he yearns for his brother.  He might be just giving up on life as well....but yea, having a pride, brother and sons that provide for you can help so much.  Male lions 10 and up, without partners/pride, will go downhill super fast in the KNP area compared to other parks.  Seems that way as their immune system is already compromised by possible latent TB that gets activated.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

It's sad, but you almost figure he knows it.  Life with his brother, and they were super close, and now he's alone, and seems to want to stay that way.  I almost wonder if his wandering up to the Kambula's as a cry for the end.

4 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-07-2024, 09:59 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: It's sad, but you almost figure he knows it.  Life with his brother, and they were super close, and now he's alone, and seems to want to stay that way.  I almost wonder if his wandering up to the Kambula's as a cry for the end.

Its sad to see, but thats the fate of almost all lone males who become nomads at around 10+ yrs of age, if they are lucky they get year or so of tough nomadic life but thats it.

Their metabolism is not so strong anymore, so without regular meals and stress their decline is rapid.

Some old nomads are lucky to stay with their sons, like his bro Mohawk, so they have easier time and can get few more years.

Cases like Nhenha, who become lone nomad at ~ 11, to form new coalition, challenge and become territorial again, are quite rare.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-07-2024, 11:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 09:59 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: It's sad, but you almost figure he knows it.  Life with his brother, and they were super close, and now he's alone, and seems to want to stay that way.  I almost wonder if his wandering up to the Kambula's as a cry for the end.

Its sad to see, but thats the fate of almost all lone males who become nomads at around 10+ yrs of age, if they are lucky they get year or so of tough nomadic life but thats it.

Their metabolism is not so strong anymore, so without regular meals and stress their decline is rapid.

Some old nomads are lucky to stay with their sons, like his bro Mohawk, so they have easier time and can get few more years.

Cases like Nhenha, who become lone nomad at ~ 11, to form new coalition, challenge and become territorial again, are quite rare.

It is heartbreaking, but like you said it is how it goes more times than not, in similar circumstance. To this day, S Avocas remain two of the most gorgeous male lions I have seen in Sabi Sands, certainly during their lifetime.

As for Nhenha, I think we all knew from early on that he was simply a different breed of cat, plus he was fortunate to come across NYM rather early on. Remaining S Avoca, his brother perished deep in Kruger, so this one had to travel a very long distance, alone, to return to S Sabi Sands, that took a long time, During that time one of his sons was killed, and the rest pushed off, and his pride was taken over. He returned to a very different scene than the one they left, not to mention how tough that trip had to have been for a newly lone male. Nhenha never really went too far away from when he started his lone journey. I do miss hearing of his exploits, and think of him often.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(04-08-2024, 01:41 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 11:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

It is heartbreaking, but like you said it is how it goes more times than not, in similar circumstance. To this day, S Avocas remain two of the most gorgeous male lions I have seen in Sabi Sands, certainly during their lifetime.

As for Nhenha, I think we all knew from early on that he was simply a different breed of cat, plus he was fortunate to come across NYM rather early on. Remaining S Avoca, his brother perished deep in Kruger, so this one had to travel a very long distance, alone, to return to S Sabi Sands, that took a long time, During that time one of his sons was killed, and the rest pushed off, and his pride was taken over. He returned to a very different scene than the one they left, not to mention how tough that trip had to have been for a newly lone male. Nhenha never really went too far away from when he started his lone journey. I do miss hearing of his exploits, and think of him often.

The condition of S. Avoca is so heartbreaking. And Nhenha is one of the greatest warrior because he died fighting as good King.
2 users Like afortich's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Caption said it was old Avoca/ giraffe males. Would these be the 5 Avoca brother father???

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
5 users Like Friarfan619's post

Ttimemarti Offline

YES! These are their fathers
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

I’m trying to load a video but S Avoca male is reportedly injured. After possible fight w the Nkuhuma (Nwalungu) male.

I don’t have much more to go on.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(04-08-2024, 05:16 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: I’m trying to load a video but S Avoca male is reportedly injured.    After possible fight w the Nkuhuma (Nwalungu) male.  

I don’t have much more to go on.

I would assume this is a new development?  NK has always seemed like that happy friendly guy.  I find it odd he would have fought with S. Avoca, unless S. Avoca left it as a no choice situation.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post