There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Mwk85 Offline

Finally have a sighting of Mohawk 

14 users Like Mwk85's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-10-2023, 03:51 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Finally have a sighting of Mohawk 

Fortunately, Mohawk looks ok!! nice pic!!
3 users Like afortich's post

Mwk85 Offline

Mohawk back with the pride 

6 users Like Mwk85's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Glad to see Mohawk still doing well. With the loss of Blondie some time ago, his right hand. He had a long road to go. But against all odds. He is thriving!!
4 users Like T I N O's post

Ttimemarti Offline

So would the fall of the northern Avocas be bc of Mohawk I mean I love Mohawk but if he had let darkmane return i believe darkmane and blondie both be alive today and maybe be dominant males over the kambula pride… i know it doesn’t matter now but i am curious if that would’ve affected things

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(03-11-2023, 10:35 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: So would the fall of the northern Avocas be bc of Mohawk I mean I love Mohawk but if he had let darkmane return i believe darkmane and blondie both be alive today and maybe be dominant males over the kambula pride… i know it doesn’t matter now but i am curious if that would’ve affected things

Darkmane's fate was simple happenstance, it could have happened with or without his brothers, but I believe Blonie's fate was written before that scuffle between DM and Mohawk.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Mohawk and DM were seen eating together without aggression months after that bad reunion.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(03-11-2023, 10:50 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Mohawk and DM were seen eating together without aggression months after that bad reunion.

Literally just a couple days before the incident with the buffalo.
5 users Like BA0701's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

The two of them had just “made up” like a week before dark mane died. They were seen on a Nkuhuma buffalo kill and Mohawk chased the others off except for Dark Mane. After Mohawk had gone off on patrol Dark Mane stayed with the pride an the males hung out with him even after his buffalo attack they stayed with him for a few hours before leaving to find their mothers/lionesses.

My opinion but I felt that when Mohawk went back to the area of the buffalo kill he was looking for Dark Mane (once again my opinion based on their movements but we really don’t know what happens for what reason but we can take educated guesses)

Dark Mane and Blondie did have TB…horrible disease that slowly destroys the body. They could’ve done decent with constant food and rest but the stress of new male lions in the area and constantly patrolling was just too hard for his body. What an amazing lions they all are! He basically was an amazing Prpde male all the way to the end. So glad the Avocas are so successful!
4 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

WildLeonis Away

(03-11-2023, 11:03 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: The two of them had just “made up” like a week before dark mane died. They were seen on a Nkuhuma buffalo kill and Mohawk chased the others off except for Dark Mane. After Mohawk had gone off on patrol Dark Mane stayed with the pride an the males hung out with him even after his buffalo attack they stayed with him for a few hours before leaving to find their mothers/lionesses.

My opinion but I felt that when Mohawk went back to the area of the buffalo kill he was looking for Dark Mane (once again my opinion based on their movements but we really don’t know what happens for what reason but we can take educated guesses)

Dark Mane and Blondie did have TB…horrible disease that slowly destroys the body. They could’ve done decent with constant food and rest but the stress of new male lions in the area and constantly patrolling was just too hard for his body. What an amazing lions they all are! He basically was an amazing Prpde male all the way to the end. So glad the Avocas are so successful!

It was obvious Blondie, sadly, had TB and likely would’ve lived much longer had he not succumbed to it. But he’d been fighting it for at least a year maybe two before it finally overtook him. He fought a good fight. 

To my knowledge, DM has never been suspected of having TB. He had a bum foot/ankle from an injury he suffered while taking down a Buffalo with the Nkuhumas back in Aug 2019. And it never properly healed. Hence his ongoing issues with walking on that right foot. Despite that injury he still put in a lot of mileage on that foot and it didn’t stop him from patrolling when he was in his prime. 

He lost a lot of his mane in his last year of life but I think it was speculated that it was due to him losing his territory, several lionesses to S8 and going nomadic. He was likely severely stressed being mostly away from the pride and thus a steady supply of food and then roaming unfamiliar areas that were controlled by other males and/or coalitions. Crazy enough before the unfortunate incident with the Buffalo that resulted in his death, he’d started to look a lot better. He was hanging out in Djuma again, most of the time looking well fed and his mane had started to fill back out. Had he lived I think he would’ve continued to do okay and there is a possibility that he and Mohawk may have reformed their coalition.
7 users Like WildLeonis's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-12-2023, 01:26 AM)WildLeonis Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 11:03 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: The two of them had just “made up” like a week before dark mane died. They were seen on a Nkuhuma buffalo kill and Mohawk chased the others off except for Dark Mane. After Mohawk had gone off on patrol Dark Mane stayed with the pride an the males hung out with him even after his buffalo attack they stayed with him for a few hours before leaving to find their mothers/lionesses.

It was obvious Blondie, sadly, had TB and likely would’ve lived much longer had he not succumbed to it. But he’d been fighting it for at least a year maybe two before it finally overtook him. He fought a good fight. 

To my knowledge, DM has never been suspected of having TB. He had a bum foot/ankle from an injury he suffered while taking down a Buffalo with the Nkuhumas back in Aug 2019. And it never properly healed. Hence his ongoing issues with walking on that right foot. Despite that injury he still put in a lot of mileage on that foot and it didn’t stop him from patrolling when he was in his prime. 

He lost a lot of his mane in his last year of life but I think it was speculated that it was due to him losing his territory, several lionesses to S8 and going nomadic. He was likely severely stressed being mostly away from the pride and thus a steady supply of food and then roaming unfamiliar areas that were controlled by other males and/or coalitions. Crazy enough before the unfortunate incident with the Buffalo that resulted in his death, he’d started to look a lot better. He was hanging out in Djuma again, most of the time looking well fed and his mane had started to fill back out. Had he lived I think he would’ve continued to do okay and there is a possibility that he and Mohawk may have reformed their coalition.

Agree with you my friend @WildLeonis
3 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 02:42 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-12-2023, 01:26 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: To my knowledge, DM has never been suspected of having TB.

Yep, there is no reason to believe that DM had TB, as you said, his condition and mane started to deteriorate after he lost territory, before that he was in perfect condition.

Lack of regular meal suplies and stressful life, at 9 yrs of age, with injury, can do that to male lion.

People underestimate how stressful nomadic life is, especially for a male who was territorial, but lose territory. After few months, in most cases, first thing you will notice on these ousted males is that they have lost some mane, which follows with weight loss if they dont have regular meals.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

I was saying that when Mohawk rejected darkmane he and blondie went after the Kambula pride against 2 Birminghams instead of 3 northern avocas and the two of them they didn’t defeat the Birminghams tinyo went missing nobody knows what happened to him but then the n’waswitshakas came north and attacked blondie I honestly believe it would’ve been different if darkmane was also with this brothers when they invaded the kambula pride.  blondie was honestly in good health other than his limp from tinyo but still it wasnt until after the n’waswitshakas attacked him that the TB got worse and he couldn’t recover
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 Tbf 9yo isn't that old, many males are still in their prime at this age and it's when their manes are at their longest. But yeah injury + nomadhood is a heavy burden.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-12-2023, 05:22 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 Tbf 9yo isn't that old, many males are still in their prime at this age and it's when their manes are at their longest.

Not all, you could see in many males that their condition starts to deteriorate at 9-10 yrs.

Just like in any living being, not all age the same.

For example, their fathers, Old Avoca/Giraffes, out of 6 males, only 2 reached 10 yrs, and even those 2 where in bad condition last years of their lives, only surviving as nomads in similar fashion to last year of DM.

Genetics are prob also a factor.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post