There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-22-2023, 05:42 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: He doesn't exactly look like a picture of health does he...

? He looks completly fine as usual.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(03-22-2023, 07:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Idk what you people are talking about, he's perfectly healthy. He's turning 10 in what, 2 months? He's leaving his prime and is in a semi-nomadic lifestyle full of stress due to BDM's pressure and the losing of his brother, but still in perfect condition, healthy and strong.

RIP to Blondie and Darkmane
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

WildLeonis Away

(03-22-2023, 07:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Idk what you people are talking about, he's perfectly healthy. He's turning 10 in what, 2 months? He's leaving his prime and is in a semi-nomadic lifestyle full of stress due to BDM's pressure and the losing of his brother, but still in perfect condition, healthy and strong.

Mohawk is semi-nomadic? That’s news to me considering all the reports I’ve seen on him for the past few months indicate he’s still holding territory and the Nkuhumas. 

I agree though. He looks in great condition. Not sure why people are saying he looks unhealthy.
3 users Like WildLeonis's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

He left shortly after his brothers died. But returned not that long after. I think he got that reputation from that I recall. Even though it was months ago and life kind of returned to what it was before that. 

Not that being territorial, semi nomadic or nomadic are well defined to be honest.

United States T_Ferguson Online
( This post was last modified: 03-22-2023, 05:31 PM by T_Ferguson )

Thank you all for putting me in my place.  To be clear, I wasn't saying he was on his deathbed, just saying he doesn't look like a guy that could fend of the BDM's.  By comparison, S8, who correct me again please, is of similar age, looks quite a bit better.  I am aware of the circumstances surrounding Mohawk, which is why I root for him, and unrealistically wish for him to look like Prime Dread Locks, to scare off the BDM's and hold onto life for a few more years.

Also, some of the people reporting about this say the swelling may be TB, or is TB. That is something worth watching.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

Mohawk is “semi nomadic” only because the Nkuhuma Pride was split into three groups and since he is a fantastic pride male he was visiting all of the groups.

I’m so happy to see him initiating a closer bond with his sons…I believe on a couple of Mohawks wanderings he was looking for Dark Mane (not for sure, just a guess of mine)

Poor boy is definitely sad without Blondie so hopefully he and his sons partner up. I’m sure it’s stressful to have to patrol on his own especially with so many males around.

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(03-22-2023, 05:24 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Also, some of the people reporting about this say the swelling may be TB, or is TB.  That is something worth watching.
TB would already affected him long ago. He wouldn't live to 10 years old and even if he somehow manage to survive this long he would be constantly very skinny, as Blondie was.

Mohawk looks smaller through that is only because he is looked upon through the prism of size of Nkuchuma young males. Mohawk looks smaller not because he got smaller, but because Nkuchuma males are getting bigger. There is nothink strange with it. Mohawk was never particularly big male at all so it is not strange that Nkuchuma young males are catching up with him in size.
5 users Like Potato's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@WildLeonis he has control over the pride but I think he is not roaring or scent-marking, he can't chase BDM away.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 03:47 PM by 1999gc8 )

Lions on the run, Avoca male lion Mohawk and Nkuhuma subadults taken by surprise by Black Dam male lions feeding on wildebeest kill and decide to run away

9 users Like 1999gc8's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(03-25-2023, 03:44 PM)1999gc8 Wrote: Lions on the run, Avoca male lion Mohawk and Nkuhuma subadults taken by surprise by Black Dam male lions feeding on wildebeest kill and decide to run away

Poor Mohawk.  At least he seems to know his limitations.  Hopefully he chooses to be a survivor and train up his troupe of youth!
5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

Now this is how a LION holds his ground. At 4:30 when a wild elephant charge towards them, all cubs, subs, lionesses scatter but the MALE hold his grounds. It's his territory, his lionesses, his food.
Mohawk will not easily handover HIS STUFFS until heavily outnumbered.

8 users Like DARK MANE's post

WildLeonis Away

I think that’s S8 in the encounter with the elephant. 

Anyway love the footage of Mohawk. Thanks for posting @DARK MANE. So cool to see him walking down the road with all his sons and of course those swinging bellies were hilarious. They are stuffed. The subadult boys are now the same size as Mohawk! So I suspect they will grow larger than him being that they are already the size they are at almost 4 years old.
3 users Like WildLeonis's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

King Mohawk with his Subadults children, by Quiet Eagle and Wild Earth.

5 users Like afortich's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(03-25-2023, 06:16 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: Now this is how a LION holds his ground. At 4:30 when a wild elephant charge towards them, all cubs, subs, lionesses scatter but the MALE hold his grounds. It's his territory, his lionesses, his food.
Mohawk will not easily handover HIS STUFFS until heavily outnumbered.

Thats the S8 male with the Talamati breakaways in the first few minutes.
2 users Like Mdz123's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2023, 09:35 PM by DARK MANE )

Mohawk, oldest lion in sabi sands ( Southern Avocas are not permanent resident here. They frequently visits Kruger to meet plain camp pride)

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like DARK MANE's post